New Indoor Range

Guest OZZ

Guest preruntn
How can they charge a transfer fee for installing sights??

Am I missing something in your story? :)

No, your not missing anything, that is the point!

I believe Uselton was using a local gunsmith working out of their own shop. Since all firearms must be logged as their transfered regardless of reason he used it as a way to pilfer a few extra dollars. Its "freight and setup" when purchasing a car or bike. Uselton wanted a chunk of cash for no effort and came up with a method.

Jumping over dollars to get the dimes. I had intended to purchase a backpack and a pair of boots when I picked up my completed Mauser. Instead Uselton got nothing and for the first time, I wasnt sorry to see a gun shop close.

Eric

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it correct that a gun shop, who takes a firearm in for whatever reason, overnight, that there has to be a new background check done? Seems like I read something to that effect. I could be wrong.

Is it correct that a gun shop, who takes a firearm in for whatever reason, overnight, that there has to be a new background check done? Seems like I read something to that effect. I could be wrong.

Uh, no.

There is no reason anyone should run a background check for something that isnt theres.

Guest preruntn

To my knowledge there isnt a new background check or anything like that. FFL holders are required to keep a log of any firearms in their possescion(sp?) for any reason or any period of time.

The roughly 1-5 minutes it took Useltons to write my gun in their log then out again after I picked it up would probably have been 99.99999999% profit.

Eric

To my knowledge there isnt a new background check or anything like that. FFL holders are required to keep a log of any firearms in their possescion(sp?) for any reason or any period of time.

The roughly 1-5 minutes it took Useltons to write my gun in their log then out again after I picked it up would probably have been 99.99999999% profit.

Eric

He didnt give you any hassle for that part did he? Seeing thats what their claiming is the reason for a "transfer fee."

Guest preruntn

No, no hassle at all. Actually, well mannered and straight forward in nature.

He seemed somewhat surprised I wasnt going to use them but not at all surprised when I told him I didnt like the fee.

I should state for the record, Useltons never told me of the fee themselves. Their gunsmith did when he called to go over price and get an O.K. to do the job. When I picked up the gun and told him I didnt like the fee he seemed to clam up a small amount or just wasnt surprised.

Seriously, I dont think it was anything more than a method to bring in extra money and if someone called them on it, no sweat. He didnt offer to waive the fee or any portion of it. Just had a few questions and was relatively numb they had lost a customer.

Eric

I've stopped in there a couple of times...I think I picked up some gun oil there...that's about it. Too pricey..too much attitude from the staff...too many bad stories for at least SOME of them not to be true.

I hate it as well...my biggest client is in Franklin, I would LOVE to be able to stop in and blast a few.

I might stop in once just to say I've seen the place...but I seriously doubt one penny of my money will be dropped in that place...unless its from a hole in my pocket

No, no hassle at all. Actually, well mannered and straight forward in nature.

He seemed somewhat surprised I wasnt going to use them but not at all surprised when I told him I didnt like the fee.

I should state for the record, Useltons never told me of the fee themselves. Their gunsmith did when he called to go over price and get an O.K. to do the job. When I picked up the gun and told him I didnt like the fee he seemed to clam up a small amount or just wasnt surprised.

Seriously, I dont think it was anything more than a method to bring in extra money and if someone called them on it, no sweat. He didnt offer to waive the fee or any portion of it. Just had a few questions and was relatively numb they had lost a customer.

Eric

Hey Eric,

Let me clarify what went on in situations like that, btw Im not answering this to bash Rick. I am to let everyone know exactly what went on over the past few years. Ricks always treated me with respect, as far as I know. A few years ago Rick started using my "out of shop" gunsmith Sam Hoster. Sams great, I'd say he's the best in this part of the state and works out of his own smith shop in Gallatin. He's a 1911 whiz, and can do anything you want to a firearm. Btw, Sams everything behind Uselton arms (The 1911 Line Rick has). He's the sole employee that hand fits every gun. So if you want a custom 1911, without that name on the side we can do it for close to half the price. I have used Sam in and out of my shop for somewhere around 12-13 years. He's honest as you can get. Thus the reason he calls every customer to make absolutely sure everyone is on the same page before he starts.

Anyway, Rick started using him a few years back before the other store went under... He's always picked up from Rick and did the work that Rick's "wanna be" gunsmiths he had in the store couldnt do. Their expertise basically is they were managers that that could mount scopes and such, thats about it. When Rick's other store went under, he moved the inventory, changing the name and opened up as Rivergate Guns and Knives. I dont know for a fact why he didnt call the new place Usletons although there are several rumors as to why he didnt. I dont know, and Ricks never done anything negative to me.

The "fees" your talking about are "fees" Rick charged above Sam's charge. Is it fair, Its buisness.... But personally I dont think it is... thus the reason we dont charge any "fees" over what he charges, we offer the service to our customers. Simple as that!

To make a long story short if you need a great gunsmith in the middle Tennessee area come by and see us, Sams great and im sure you will be happy with the service and price.

Guest preruntn
Hey Eric,

Let me clarify what went on in situations like that, btw Im not answering this to bash Rick. I am to let everyone know exactly what went on over the past few years. Ricks always treated me with respect, as far as I know. A few years ago Rick started using my "out of shop" gunsmith Sam Hoster. Sams great, I'd say he's the best in this part of the state and works out of his own smith shop in Gallatin. He's a 1911 whiz, and can do anything you want to a firearm. Btw, Sams everything behind Uselton arms (The 1911 Line Rick has). He's the sole employee that hand fits every gun. So if you want a custom 1911, without that name on the side we can do it for close to half the price. I have used Sam in and out of my shop for somewhere around 12-13 years. He's honest as you can get. Thus the reason he calls every customer to make absolutely sure everyone is on the same page before he starts.

Anyway, Rick started using him a few years back before the other store went under... He's always picked up from Rick and did the work that Rick's "wanna be" gunsmiths he had in the store couldnt do. Their expertise basically is they were managers that that could mount scopes and such, thats about it. When Rick's other store went under, he moved the inventory, changing the name and opened up as Rivergate Guns and Knives. I dont know for a fact why he didnt call the new place Usletons although there are several rumors as to why he didnt. I dont know, and Ricks never done anything negative to me.

The "fees" your talking about are "fees" Rick charged above Sam's charge. Is it fair, Its buisness.... But personally I dont think it is... thus the reason we dont charge any "fees" over what he charges, we offer the service to our customers. Simple as that!

To make a long story short if you need a great gunsmith in the middle Tennessee area come by and see us, Sams great and im sure you will be happy with the service and price.

Sounds great, I appreciate it.

After re-reading my post I should clarify that Uselton, not the gunsmith was the numb one. The gunsmith was a great guy.

Thanks, Eric

• 4 months later...
Guest parris001

This will be my first post on here. Imagine how excited I was to here on WTN the other morning that there was a new indoor gun range here in Franklin! I was pumped to say the least. I dropped in and met Rick and his staff. I also liked to have spit my teeth out when he gave me the rates for the range. What a total friggin' rip-off! For $15 bucks I can go to Gun City, bring my own ammo and shoot as long as I want. This douche Uselton is really an enemy of Tennessee gun owners from what I've read in this thread. I mentioned while I was talking to him that I do a little business with Franklin Gun Shop (yes, I know they are a little high), and I was surprised they didn't have an indoor range. He immediately launched into how bad they sucked and how he knew who they banked with and they couldn't get a loan because their books weren't in order......... blah blah blah. I thought to myself, you know this guy don't know me from Adam. We haven't established any kind of friendship or anything. And he verbally attacks another local gun shop (I'm sorry, but if you are a gun shop owner you should make nice with all of your competitors because you are all equally hated by a portion of society that would like to see you out of business) which to me comes off as being very unprofessional. :wave:

I'm going to stop back in tomorrow and hope he doesn't recognise me from my previous visit. I'm going to inquire about his range rates and then laugh right in his face when he tells me.

Guest bkelm18

I'm going to stop back in tomorrow and hope he doesn't recognise me from my previous visit. I'm going to inquire about his range rates and then laugh right in his face when he tells me.

You should get one of those mini cameras that are fake eyeglasses and tape it then post it here. :wave:

That would be awesome!

I hadn't actually met Rick until a month or so ago. I was originally excited when a new range opened. I was sadly disappointed when I got there. He's quite possibly the most arrogant, self centered, self serving, SOB's that I have ever met. And I've met a lot of 'em. I will never spend a penny with him and will go out of my way to direct any business to other shops in the area. I have a friend that lives in Franklin about 10 minutes from Uselton's that is looking for some extra mags for his Ruger and was going to go buy a couple from Rick. I told him that I would personally pick him up and drive him to Hero Gear in Winchester if he would buy them from Joe instead of Rick Uselesston

This will be my first post on here. Imagine how excited I was to here on WTN the other morning that there was a new indoor gun range here in Franklin! I was pumped to say the least. I dropped in and met Rick and his staff. I also liked to have spit my teeth out when he gave me the rates for the range. What a total friggin' rip-off! For $15 bucks I can go to Gun City, bring my own ammo and shoot as long as I want. This douche Uselton is really an enemy of Tennessee gun owners from what I've read in this thread. I mentioned while I was talking to him that I do a little business with Franklin Gun Shop (yes, I know they are a little high), and I was surprised they didn't have an indoor range. He immediately launched into how bad they sucked and how he knew who they banked with and they couldn't get a loan because their books weren't in order......... blah blah blah. I thought to myself, you know this guy don't know me from Adam. We haven't established any kind of friendship or anything. And he verbally attacks another local gun shop (I'm sorry, but if you are a gun shop owner you should make nice with all of your competitors because you are all equally hated by a portion of society that would like to see you out of business) which to me comes off as being very unprofessional. :usa:

Hi, I glad to see you finally made it over here.