DSLR's

homeagain

I'm sure many of you are photographers, either professionally or as a hobby.  Me?  I know nothing about it.

Anywho, I'm trying to figure out getting a DSLR for my wife for Christmas.  Can anyone here recommend a place to shop for used (but in good shape) DSLR's and accessories?  Not wanting to go the pawnshop route, really.  I'm looking to even possibly go the trade/+cash route if I could find it, but that wouldn't likely occur unless I worked a deal with an individual somehow.  I even have a Roland electronic drum set I'd give up to make the deal happen, but again, probably not doable unless I go to a 'pawn shop' so that is likely out.

Any suggestions north of Nashville as to where to begin my quest?

B&H Used stuff, buy with confidence...  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Digital-Photography/ci/6387/N/4294246666

I'm preferential toward Canon, but Nikon makes good stuff too. 

edit... the typical DSLR "kits" that are sold by the big box stores give you a good, entry level camera body, a crappy lens, and some accessories you may or may not have any use for.  For similar money, you can typically piece together a basic kit with higher quality lenses.  With lenses, you get what you pay for.  Some folks are able to do amazing things with cheap lenses, but as with rifle scopes, quality optics aren't cheap. 

Edited by peejman
  • Moderators

I bought this one this morning (seriously):

I bought the same camera about a month ago on Amazon for $579. Right now if you purchase that camera, click on the button "Shop now" in this section:

Free Camera Bag, 16GB Memory Card, and Big Savings on Select Canon Lenses
Limited time offer. Discount applies only to products sold by Amazon.com; does not apply to products sold by third-party merchants and other sellers through the Amazon.com site. Shop now

You will get a case and a 32GB Sandisk card for free. You can also get $150 off select lenses on that page, but it depends on which ones are "in stock" by Amazon. I opted for the 55-250mm IS II lens. Also, whatever you purchase on Amazon for select cameras and lenses, 35 days from your purchase they will credit a 2% promotion to your account. Today my total came to $551.99, so I'll get roughly a $12 promotion in 35 days. I can attest that the T3i is a great camera. I've always used Canon and have been very, very satisfied.

Long story on the purchase, but in a nutshell knew someone that didn't want the hassle of buying a camera on the internet and just bought mine:)

The T3i is what I've got my eye on at the moment.  If I end up with enough Christmas money, I'll start shopping.  Interesting that the body only is $499 while the body + 18-55 lens is $437.  Note that what you're getting is refurbished and not new.   Given my experience with the 18-55 lens, that's a pretty good price for it.  :lol:   

Here's a little better deal on a T4i combo with the better lens...  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001824-REF/canon_6558b017aa_eos_rebel_t4i_digital.html

Edited by peejman
  • Moderators

The T3i is what I've got my eye on at the moment.  If I end up with enough Christmas money, I'll start shopping.  Interesting that the body only is $499 while the body + 18-55 lens is $437.  Note that what you're getting is refurbished and not new.   Given my experience with the 18-55 lens, that's a pretty good price for it.  :lol:   

Here's a little better deal on a T4i combo with the better lens...  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001824-REF/canon_6558b017aa_eos_rebel_t4i_digital.html

If you were referring to the $437 deal, I'm 95% sure it's new. What suggests that it is refurbished?

Note that the greater range does not necessarily mean a better lens. There are always trade-offs.

I got my T3i with the 18-55 lens and picked up the 55-200 at a later date.

If you were referring to the $437 deal, I'm 95% sure it's new. What suggests that it is refurbished?

Nevermind.... In scanning the description I misunderstood it. 

That said... from what I've read, if you can tell the difference between a brand new camera and a factory refurbished one, that's quite the accomplishment.

Note that the greater range does not necessarily mean a better lens. There are always trade-offs.

I got my T3i with the 18-55 lens and picked up the 55-200 at a later date.

True, but the 18-135 is listed at F3.5 compared to F4.0 for the 18-55.  So its (a little) faster and has a wider range.

I guess I'm spoiled by good glass.  I bought a Rebel XSi for work several years ago.  I also bought a 60mm macro lens and ring-light for it.  The difference in image quality between the 18-55 and 60mm is staggering.  Granted, the 60mm cost almost as much as the body and 18-55 lens, but it's sooooo much better.

Edited by peejman
  • Moderators

Personally, I'm thinking of picking up the 50mm 1.4 lens. I had the 50mm 1.8, but sold it yesterday. I've always heard that the 50mm 1.4 is higher build quality and higher image quality. Input anyone?

It looks like TGO sways toward the Canon side:)

• Like 1

Personally, I'm thinking of picking up the 50mm 1.4 lens. I had the 50mm 1.8, but sold it yesterday. I've always heard that the 50mm 1.4 is higher build quality and higher image quality. Input anyone?

Can't go wrong with the nifty fifty.  The 1.4 costs a lot more for a reason.

• Moderators

Can't go wrong with the nifty fifty.  The 1.4 costs a lot more for a reason.

Certainly. I bought the 50mm 1.8 years ago with money was tighter. I threw in a lot of unused accessories when I sold the camera, therefore I have enough for the 1.4. Loved the 1.8 but the 1.4 seems so much better!

Have the Canon D60 and love it.  I do wish I had a better lense.  It is all, always about the glass.  Features are nice, but as far as cameras go, the quality matters in this order:

1) glass

2) sensor

As far as Images go:

1) Eye and "working knowledge" of the photographer (exposure, DOF, framing)

2) glass

3) sensor

I know a guy who has a D300 and does great work with it.

- what a fun, fun endeavor.  Good luck, and congrats to her once she gets it!!

• Like 1

The f1.4 50 is MUCH better build quality than the f1.8, it's not up there with my higher end glass but it's acceptable for as little as I use it. (indoors at small venues)

• Moderators

The f1.4 50 is MUCH better build quality than the f1.8, it's not up there with my higher end glass but it's acceptable for as little as I use it. (indoors at small venues)

So it sounds like you have quite a few different lenses. I have:

18-55 IS II

55-250 IS II

I have a budget of about $200-$300. I have been wanting the 50mm 1.4 for a while, but it is also money that I could spend on a different lens. I really think I am wanting to get into prime lenses. Like I've said, I had the 50mm 1.8 but sold it in the package. Any prime lenses that I should checkout? I also have always wanted a macro lens as well, but haven't got around to spending the $500 or more that it would take. Primarily I use my camera for the following:

Still Life

Family Events

Portraits

Landscapes/Nightscapes

Occasionally Engagement & Wedding for Friends/Family (I want to do this regularly for pay. I am ok with engagement photography but my confidence level is not comfortable with weddings just yet. That is a lot of pressure.

What should I spend my money on?

Edit:Also, been reading about the 50mm 2.5 Macro, it has caught my attention.

Edited by CZ9MM

So it sounds like you have quite a few different lenses. I have:

18-55 IS II

55-250 IS II

I have a budget of about $200-$300. I have been wanting the 50mm 1.4 for a while, but it is also money that I could spend on a different lens. I really think I am wanting to get into prime lenses. Like I've said, I had the 50mm 1.8 but sold it in the package. Any prime lenses that I should checkout? I also have always wanted a macro lens as well, but haven't got around to spending the $500 or more that it would take. Primarily I use my camera for the following:

Still Life

Family Events

Portraits

Landscapes/Nightscapes

Occasionally Engagement & Wedding for Friends/Family (I want to do this regularly for pay. I am ok with engagement photography but my confidence level is not comfortable with weddings just yet. That is a lot of pressure.

What should I spend my money on?

I wasn't going to respond to this in-thread b/c I don't want to derail the OP's thread until I read my PM and determined he might also find the advise useful.

Both the lenses you currently have are great entry level lenses built to fit in a budged for entry level cameras, they will capture 90-95% of the shots in your first  4 categories and allow you to learn a lot about the process but they won't cut it in a more challenging shoot such as the wedding in many cases.

The 50 f1.4 is a great first step into real glass(lenses that aren't limited to crop body cameras), it will allow you to manually focus, and shoot sharp shots in very low light if you learn to use it and has no crutches to teach you bad habits.(IS can be both a blessing and a curse for the beginning photographer)

• Like 1

What he said.  I think the 50 F1.4 will do 90% of what you've listed.  It may take a little creativity and extra effort on your part, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Like lots of things, having the right gear is important, but the person operating it makes all the difference.  I've seen shots taken by good photographers with disposable cameras that I couldn't replicate with $10k in gear. 

If you don't already, get some software.  It can certainly be a crutch, but a little post processing can make a good photo look fantastic. 

You might also look into taking a few classes.  A friend who's a far better photog than me took a few night classes at UT and he's done some really cool stuff with what he learned. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

The 50 f1.4 is a great first step into real glass(lenses that aren't limited to crop body cameras), it will allow you to manually focus, and shoot sharp shots in very low light if you learn to use it and has no crutches to teach you bad habits.(IS can be both a blessing and a curse for the beginning photographer)

This. I think I've made the decision to ensure that all future lenses I purchase are compatible with full frame cameras. I've been reading a lot of this guy's reviews:

http://kenrockwell.com/canon/comparisons/50mm-lenses.htm

He reviews the 2.5 Macro quite remarkably over the 1.4, noting that the 2.5 is sharper at all apertures (well, except for anything over 2.5;)

You won't learn to accurately focus a shallow DOF with an f2.5 lens. You will want the faster lens for that, and with the f1.4 you not only get a reasonably shallow DOF you also get a decent manual focus ring so you can begin to master that critical skill which you will need. You can fix a lot of things with software after the fact, and IS can make up for shaky hands but having the subject slightly out of focus is not one of those things that can be fixed in post.

As for Ken comparing the 2 lenses he compares them both wide open and stopped down to f8 but he only compared one copy. If my personal copy of the f1.4 was repeatedly less sharp than the sub $100 f1.8 AT f1.8 I would return it to Canon for service.

Lenses are precision instruments more so than firearms in many cases and any slip up in the manufacturing or shipping of the product can very quickly produce a bad copy. I've seen guys buy 3 or 4 of the same lens trying to get a "good" copy and return the ones that were lesser. (Lens in question was a sigma 24-70 f2.8) He finally got it and now loves it but I only spent $200 more for my canon and didn't have to wait for a good one.(canon lenses can have bum copies as well they just occur at much less frequent intervals)

If I were going to buy her a starter setup (gotta do it as economically as possible) what body/lens configuration would be something to start with.  Most big box bundles have something like a Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm and 55-300mm.  Granted, the glass isn't pro quality, but would this be a decent package to start with and see if she enjoys it enough to save her $$ up for good glass later?