7.62x39, current pricing, and future availability... Your thoughts?

Guest mechanically

Guest mechanically

I'm considering adding a rifle in this caliber.

I take consideration of new calibers very seriously, since it would represent an additional type of "inventory" to keep on hand.

Looks like they're about .25/round right now, once you pay for shipping, etc.

I suspect from a military surplus standpoint, there's lots to go 'round, and we won't necessarily see it dry up soon. (Barring limits on import, which is certainly possible...)

But, I am glad I purchased 54r back when it was .11/round. And, I'm still willing to buy it at .17 or so.

But, do you think there's a likelyhood of 39 coming down in price in the future, or are these prices the "new norm?"

I'm reluctant to add something new, even if it's a fun and desirable option, if it's gonna cost me a quarter to pull the trigger every time.

Unresearched opinions welcome below. :popcorn:

Prices will never go down.  They're selling all they can make at the current prices.  Unless demand drops dramatically, there's no reason for the price to go anywhere but up.  But that's all ammo, not any specific caliber.  Surplus (Wolf, etc.) supply should be around for a long time, barring import restrictions as you mentioned. 

Edited by peejman

Pretty sure current pricing is the new norm. I believe I saw a post by dlm37015 saying the russians had raised there prices. As far as military surplus, I dont think I have seen any 7.62x39 military surplus in a while. All the bear ammo, GT, wolf, tula, etc is current commercial production.

If you want an AK to shoot for less than .20/rd get a PSL or an AK74 and buy all the ammo you can find. Or cast your own bullets and reload for the 7.62x39

I haven't seen any surplus 7.62x39 in a couple of years.  The last available was Bulgarian I believe and cost the same as new production.  I honestly don't think we'll ever see "surplus" ammo in that caliber again.

As far as current prices, that's the new norm.  A case of 1000 that cost $200 two years ago is now around $230. 

Edited by Garufa

Go for it, buddy. Stronger cartridge-fun to shoot-still cheaper than 556-and availibilty is still pretty good. Kind of a no brainer actually.

Since I never got any of those sub-200 cases, I really can't make too many comments. but Garufa's right about the 7.62x39 pricing. Around me, and the online prices I've seen seem to be from 229 to 269 per 1000.

Over the last few years, my costs seem to have been around 200 to 229 per 1000. 

Might find some a little cheaper than that, but will take some serious looking.

I haven't seen any surplus 7.62x39 in a couple of years.  The last available was Bulgarian I believe and cost the same as new production.  I honestly don't think we'll ever see "surplus" ammo in that caliber again.

As far as current prices, that's the new norm.  A case of 100 that cost $200 two years ago is now around $230. 

Dood... you got ripped... Err... I mean... I'll gladly sell you 100 for $200.  How many hundred do you want?  :)

I'm baffled why .223 steel wolf is always more than x39 steel wolf. You'd think the price would at least be the same. But I guess maybe there's more demand for .223.

bought some golden tiger just before the big O was elected. Ordered three cases that were delivered on the Friday before the election. Paid $185 per plus shipping. Then everything went to hell. $225 is about the best you'll find now.

Is there any manufacturer to stay away from on 7.62 ammo?? I've no experience with my AK as of yet and don't want to buy 1000 rds of something it may not eat well....

The vast majority of it is made in a couple of Russian factories, that is if you're looking for the current production steel-cased stuff....TulaAmmo, Wolf,  Brown Bear, Golden Tiger, etc are some of the name brands but where they get their ammo seems to vary, sometimes often.  It's all about the same depending on whether you like laquer or poly coated cases.  AK's and SKS's will eat either with no problem.

They all claim to be non-corrosive.  Well, I learned that hard way that is not always the case.  I'd make it a habit to check your rifle out a couple of days after shooting (if you don't like to clean the second you get home) for signs of rust in the bore or gas tube.

To directly answer your question stay away from KSAP if you find any.  Comes in a white box with non-corrosive printed on it, it is in fact extremely corrosive, worst I've ever seen, at least the samples from two different lots I have are.  Unfortunately, it is excellent ammo, very accurate.  Hasn't been sold for a couple of years from the big web dealers but you can still find it at gunshows from time to time.  Cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo is not a big deal, just and extra step is involved, but it helps to know you need to take that step.

Edited by Garufa

I've yet to find a round of ammunition that didn't perform satisfactorily in my AKM or SKS, and I've shot several variations of milsurp as well as Russian commercial, Chinese commercial, and American commercial ammo.

As Garufa stated, some foreign ammo is corrosive. I'd treat it all as if it were.

Edited by gregintenn

I've bought a couple hundred rounds of tula...just didn't want to invest in a 1000 rds of crud....

Commie ammo works fine in commie rifles.  Tula likely isn't the most accurate stuff and it tends to be quite dirty, but it goes bang and punches holes in stuff.

Say what ya'll like but theres a reason .223 (domestic) is higher.  That wonderfully priced 7,62x39 is one step above crap.  Yes, its cheap and goes bang and if its accurate enough for you, then I agree, its a good choice.  If you wonder why your AK isn't as accurate as you'd like, look straight at the ammo,.  It AIN'T the gun.  AK's are surprisingly accurate.  The imported cheap ammo is very low quality and it has nothing to do with steel case or dirty (all ammo is dirty).  Its the russians (and others) wide open tolerances and sorry quality control.  Bullet diameter is typically way undersize and powder charges vary wildly.  Quality .223 costs more, why?  Because typically it is leaps and bounds ahead quality-wise.  

Say what ya'll like but theres a reason .223 (domestic) is higher.  That wonderfully priced 7,62x39 is one step above crap.  Yes, its cheap and goes bang and if its accurate enough for you, then I agree, its a good choice.  If you wonder why your AK isn't as accurate as you'd like, look straight at the ammo,.  It AIN'T the gun.  AK's are surprisingly accurate.  The imported cheap ammo is very low quality and it has nothing to do with steel case or dirty (all ammo is dirty).  Its the russians (and others) wide open tolerances and sorry quality control.  Bullet diameter is typically way undersize and powder charges vary wildly.  Quality .223 costs more, why?  Because typically it is leaps and bounds ahead quality-wise.  

I've been shooting Russian commercial production x39 or close to 20 years now and have never had a problem.  Barnaul, Brown Bear, Wolf, KSAP, Golden Tiger, etc.  It has all performed flawlessly and goes exactly where I point the rifle (within a couple of MOA).  That's all one could ask for from commercial ammo.

I've also started measuring bullets.  Have yet to find one single one less than .310 in diameter, including stuff I bought 20 years ago and TulAmmo that arrived last week.  I don't think the Russians even know how to produce a 7.62 projectile less than that diameter as they've beeen thinking  it meant .311 inches since 1891, contrary to us Americans.

People also get down on Russian .223.  I've shot a lot of that too and it performs wonderfully.  I'd put it up against Federal bulk any day accuracy-wise.

This has just been my experience.  Take it for what you will.

• Like 1
The vast majority of commie ammo I've shot is the various incarnations of Wolf. I expect my commie rifles to be minute of man accurate, and they meet my expectations.

By comparison, I expect my Swiss rifle to be quite accurate so I feed it quality ammo and it meets my expectations.
I think it'll go lower. AGS had wolf MC for $3.99/20 a few weeks ago with free shipping. The surplus is gone, at least all of the surplus that can be legally imported (wish we could get Chinese and Russian ammo like Canada can). I wish I hadn't shot all of my M67 ammo too, that stuff is gold. Mechanically, if you get a rifle chambered in x39, I'd buy Golden Tiger for storage (laquer coated, sealed bullet and primer), and whatever is cheapest for plinking. If you've got a place to shoot, gimme a holler and you are free to shoot some of my AKs.

Availability has been getting much better on 7.62x39 and prices have been falling. They're stable now in the $229/1000 range, but I expect we'll see the occasional deal on them down to around $200/1000 at the usual good-deal sites like SportsmansWarehouse and SGAmmo, maybe even AIM. Add in shipping and you're back to $0.21-0.23 per round.