Mossberg Maverick 12 gauge info

rugerla1

The best news is that you have an awesome.wife!

Count your blessings my friend....you did well.

You know it! She is pretty dang awesome, so is my daughter and they sure teamed up on the "give Dad a hard time for ruining the surprise" look! :)

Congrats-- Now for next year, maybe you should fawn all over a Barrett M107A1 at Thanksgiving... think they'll get the hint then? :cool:

OH MAN! Y'all wouldn't ever see another post from me 'cause I'd have a heart attack!  :rock:  I mean really, how awesome would that present be!?!?

Well, it would be even more awesome if it also came with 500 rnds. of ammo. Hey, we can always dream, can't we?

Yes we can, and unfortunately Tartan, that's exactly what it would be, a dream HA HA! Hell, I'd be tickled with the ammo even if I didn't have the rifle!  :rofl:

Edited by rugerla1
Well I couldn't sleep this morning so I drove to Murfreesboro Walmart to see what they had. Got here sure that I'd have to wait till 7, like ammo but manager told me TBI doesn't open till 8 so going to do some Christmas shopping while I wait. They have the Remington 870 wood stock, 28" barrel for $257 and its drilled and tapped. But the have the Tactical synthetic with extended magazine for $347. Dang, choices, choices! I'm going with the Tactical because I'd rather have the extra capacity over the drilled and tapped. Hell, I may not even care about putting a scope on it, but will definitely want the 6 round capacity.

Anybody know why the outside diameter of the barrel on the Maverick is larger that the 500?

I had never heard that.  Everything I have read (from the Mossberg and Maverick sites) says that Mossberg 500 barrels and Maverick 88 barrels are interchangeable within the same gauge.  A guy on another gun board to which I belong has confirmed that by swapping barrels between a Maverick 12 gauge and a Mossberg 12 gauge that he had.  The only caveat, I think, has to do with whether the shotgun originally comes with a ribbed or non-ribbed barrel.

I don't have a 500 so I can't say, for sure.  I will say that I like and trust my Maverick Security 88 (20 inch barrel) enough that it is my bedside shotgun.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Since the OP has satisfied his shotty needs I'd like to ask a question or two about the Maverick. From what I have read online you can swap out the slide tube or whatever it's called and use any 500 foregrip. I''m not really interested in that as I don't dislike the factory foregrip. I do however want to get a new stock as the LOP on this one is pretty long for me. Since the wife will have it at her bedside I want to go adjustable so she can dial it in just right for her.

Will any of the adjustable 500 stocks fit on the 88? Any experiences with a certain brand? I want to go as cheap as possible but still maintain quality. This is a budget build after all. :pleased:

I will be going with the Tacstar brand side saddle and picking up the 18.5" barrel from Midway as soon as they have stock. Academy has them but they are $119!!! Midways are $75 until the end of the year.

not sure adjustable and budget work in the same sentence this time, but yes everything except the forend slide assy, and the trigger assembly will fit the 88 but you would lose the safety.

I swapped my 500 stock out for a MESA Tactical Adapter and now can use any AR grip and stock,  at the same time I also swapped out the trigger unit from a Maverick 88 so I have a useable safety as the tang unit becomes almost unusable and the 88's is just plain a better location for the new grip angle 

not sure who else makes adapter blocks these days  maybe ACE stocks might 

I think MESA is about $75.00 then you need the AR parts stock, grip and buffer tube

currently use18" for around the house and 28" rib for Turkey season, until I get a 22-24" rib or cut this one down

and Brownells sells an 8 shot conversion kit which is a barrel and mag tube but usually claims out of stock

Edited by LngRngShtr

Thanks for the info. I just ordered (backorder) the 18.5" barrel from Midway but they don't expect them until February. They are on sale for $75 though so I guess I can wait. I will spend whatever I have to on the adjustables but just want to spend the least amount possible. Just from looking online they are gonna float around $100 give or take which ain't bad considering it will fit the 500 as well. May be worth it to do what you suggest though with the adapter for more options.

Just an FYI If you plan to ever order a barrel for the Maverick or a Mossberg call them directly. I looked on their online site and they have them listed for $81 but out of stock. I just called them and they sold me an 18.5" barrel for $75.13 shipped! Was $66.18 for the barrel and $8.95 shipping. Needless to say I cancelled my backorder with Midway and should have this barrel in about a week or so. He said they may have to manufacture it and if that's the case it could be a few days longer.

Just for the record the barrels on my Maverick & my 500 will not interchange. The barrel om the Maverick is held on with a nut like an 870 & the 500 has a bolt to hold the barrel on.

Yes the inside diameter is larger on the Maverick also. The Choke tube also has a larger inside diameter. Is this for steel shot.

I have no idea as I just got started in shotguns this year.

BTW my Maverick is a model 91.