Comparison: XD9 vs. G19

Smith

Long time XD fan/owner who just got my first GLOCK for a variety of reasons. So let me share my opinion on the two.

To be fair the 19 is a compact where as the XD is not, so keep that in mind, but the XD doesn't offer a mid size/compact in 9mm at the moment. I wish they did.

1. Size - goes to the 19. It is considerably smaller both in muzzle length and grip length without sacrificing much in the way of versatility or usability.

2. Capacity - goes to the XD. 17 rnds vs. 15 rnds. However keep in mind the 19 has a shorter grip (better for carry), so to me is a good trade off. If I really need those extra 2 rnds, I'm in it deep anyway and more mags are propably more important anyway.

3. Trigger - i know it's subjective, but I go with the XD. With both having trigger adjustments: 19 Ghost 3.5 lb. connector - XD Powder River Safety lever - the XD's reset and break are much better IMO. The 19 is not "bad" by any means just different and the XD's is more like a traditional single action trigger to me.

4. Safeties - XD. I "feel" a lot more comfortable with the XD's numerous safeties. The visible striker, loaded indicator, and grip safety are great additions to me. While the 19 has similar features (excluding grip safety and visible striker), the XD's are more positive and clear.

5. Weight - Glock hands down. Don't know actual weight, I'm not that anal, but using "feel" and manufactures numbers - the 19 wins easily.

Conclusion? The 19 fit my carry needs better than the fullsize XD, but I like the XD's features better. Not so much that it is a big deal, but given my druthers I'd like a Glock/XD hybrid! I also find the availabilty of parts and accessories, which also are some what cheaper, is a plus as well.

I haven't got a chance to range test the 19 like i have the XD, but I will let you know when I do. these are just my initial impressions.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Todd@CIS

Very subject of course...why I like the G19 better (I happen to be an armorer for both).

1. Better trigger. XD's reset is long and unperceptable as compared to the Glock.

2. Much better mags. XD mags will stop up when dirty ALOT faster than Glock mags. Many C.I.S. students have experienced this first hand.

3. With my grip (thumbs forward) I ride the slide lock and most of the time my XD slide will not lock open on the last round because of this. I live with it as I'm not going to change my grip for one handgun. I'm forced to carry an XD45 at work.

4. Parts availability. You can get anything for the Glock except the receiver...not so with XD. Springfield won't even sell many parts to their factory certified armorers.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Very subject of course...why I like the G19 better (I happen to be an armorer for both).

1. Better trigger. XD's reset is long and unperceptable as compared to the Glock.

2. Much better mags. XD mags will stop up when dirty ALOT faster than Glock mags. Many C.I.S. students have experienced this first hand.

3. With my grip (thumbs forward) I ride the slide lock and most of the time my XD slide will not lock open on the last round because of this. I live with it as I'm not going to change my grip for one handgun. I'm forced to carry an XD45 at work.

4. Parts availability. You can get anything for the Glock except the receiver...not so with XD. Springfield won't even sell many parts to their factory certified amorers.

On the trigger. I can't imagine anyone leaving either stock as they are both leave a lot to be desired, but when you do trigger work (under $50) I've found the XD much more positive than the Glock. Especially on initial break.

Parts - Not so much true anymore. There are several websites that are offering XD parts now. Evidently Springfield has seen the light and quit listening to the lawyers.

Guest Todd@CIS

Parts - Not so much true anymore. There are several websites that are offering XD parts now. Evidently Springfield has seen the light and quit listening to the lawyers.

It's gotten better with SA, but Glock still clearly wins this one.

It's gotten better with SA, but Glock still clearly wins this one.

Clearly yes, It was just one knock against the XD which they seem to be resolving. As of now, i can get almost any internal part for the XD. If only Glock would listen to the market and make some updates. Of course I'm guessing with their sales figures, the voices for improvement are fairly quiet.:D