hog hunting in southern middle Tn

Guest dillonselman

Guest dillonselman

Sidinman  sent me here from another forum, and I was wondering if any body knows of a reasonably priced or even better a free place to hunt hogs in southern middle Tennessee.

Try these. http://www.huntingtripsrus.com/wild-boar-hog-hunting/tennessee.html Personally I would travel to Guntersville to Mann's Mountain for my hog hunting. I go to Florida and hunt them for free. Good stuff!

DaveS

Not to get too far off topic but do you need an out of state license to hunt fl hogs? What are good self guided places to go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
For private property in FL: year round. No lic needed. No limit. Any weapon, day, night, over bait. Just got back from down there last week. I sat a few nights over bait with a solar powered motion security light. Never saw any but it was exciting when the deer tripped the light. The pigs just weren't hitting the bait that week. Never got any pics of any that week on our cameras either. Way it goes.

On public land other stipulations apply:

http://m.myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/wild-hog/

I think it'd be tough to go down and hunt public land. You'd just have to scout and try to find some and i would assume you'd have to have a little luck. The property I hunt drops off into swamp/lower ground along the Ochlockonee River and there is where I have found sign. There is public land all around our property, Apalachicola NF. If you're ambitious there's no dog hunting on the west side of Hwy 375 between the highway and the river. (thats where I hunt, just on private land) but i would imagine you could probably scout and find hogs all up and down through there on the public land part too because it is similar habitat. Edited by JWC

JWC; the area we hunt is a little piece of private property surrounded by St. Marks Refuge over in Wakulla County. Back in June, the Federal Game Warden I was hunting with had a feeder and light set up as you described. Nothing is more exciting than to be sitting in your blind half asleep when someone whispers "light's on", "big hog, get ready". That's how I got my 300 pounder. I wish I could hunt them like that here. I know where there are two (maybe more) Big black boars. Seen them on state land about a week ago. They spooked and ran over on to private property. They were probably 250 to 275 pounds ea.

There is nothing that compares to hog hunting!

Dave

They can jack some stuff up I've seen some tore up ground when duck hunting in TX. But even with all the habitat destruction I still wish we had them like they do down there. Just the year round additional hunting opportunity for good meat sounds fine to me.

They can jack some stuff up I've seen some tore up ground when duck hunting in TX. But even with all the habitat destruction I still wish we had them like they do down there. Just the year round additional hunting opportunity for good meat sounds fine to me.

Well, if we did I would hope they stayed on that side of the TN River. That would be close enough for me.

Guest Longshot1
Getting a trip up to some private property in Savannah, Ga. Black gum swamp with feeders. Have not contacted Georgia Wildlife yet about regs on hunting. Going after deer season closes in January. Using AR10. Was wondering if FMJ military rounds would be best choice?

I wouldn't use FMJ... you are going to want expansion on a big boar... they are tough sons of guns.

I've used remington core-lokt .308 in 180gr and it smashed through the shoulder plate with no problem on a 250 lb boar.

Round was recovered under the skin on the far side... perfect expansion and the hog didn't take more than a couple of steps before he went down.

I wouldn't use FMJ... you are going to want expansion on a big boar... they are tough sons of guns.

I've used remington core-lokt .308 in 180gr and it smashed through the shoulder plate with no problem on a 250 lb boar.

Round was recovered under the skin on the far side... perfect expansion and the hog didn't take more than a couple of steps before he went down.

.223 "neck shot" DRT. Most states don't allow FMJ for hunting.

Dave

Guest Longshot1

Thanks for the tip. Bought some 180 gr bthp rounds. Also taking the Beowulf .50 with 400 grain hollow points. It is a hoot out to about 100 yards then that big old heavy slug starts to drop. If they get hit with the 400 grain Hornady they are field dressed!
Guest Longshot1
Great forum. Thanks to all who made comments and suggestions. I have been waiting 5 years to actually make a real trip to hog hunt. I have two lined up. One to Georgia and one to Texas. Finances probably will not allow going both places in one year but I hope thevtrip to Georgia pays off. i found a processor 5 miles from where we will hunt. Any recommendations on how I should get it butchered? I was thinking hams, tenderloin and the rest sausage? I sure hope I get that opportunity.
Guest Longshot1
DaveS I looked for DRT in .308 but could only find the bullet itself and I don't reload. I have seen head shots with the Beowulf and they were instant death. The guy who owns the property said the biggest animals on his place were usually seen at 200-250 yards and a little skittish so I figure it will be the .308 if I get a shot.

DaveS I looked for DRT in .308 but could only find the bullet itself and I don't reload. I have seen head shots with the Beowulf and they were instant death. The guy who owns the property said the biggest animals on his place were usually seen at 200-250 yards and a little skittish so I figure it will be the .308 if I get a shot.

DRT is available in commercial ammo as well, all calibers....DRT means "Dead Right There"....bullet hits, animal drops instantly. Sorry about the confusion.

DaveS