Red Headlamps

TNMTBik3r

Posting here instead of gear or hunting to maybe get more input.
I realized today while walking in/out of the woods that my red headlamp is terrible. I have a cheap Energizer HDL33A2 led from Walmart that uses 2 red LEDs http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/Energizer-HDL33A2E-Energizer-Pro-6-LED-Headlight/8111444

I have two issues with this lamp -i have to press the button 4 times to get to red, and the red output is weak (beam lights just a couple of feet in front of me).

I searched on Google and found that Zebralight h31r or h51r seem to be about the best but they are discontinued and seem to be out of stock everywhere. So, does anyone have any recommendations for good red handlight? Red mode only, or multi mode but easy to switch straight to red. I don't want to spend too much as it will be mainly for hunting but also a backup general use handsfree light.

The Petzl Tikka also appears very highly rated, any firsthand users here?
  • Like 1

...when you enjoy drinking coffee at Hardees for long periods of time each day every day

I am looking at the Tactikka Plus right now. It is only rated to 35 lumens, 4 LEDs with red filter. http://www.rei.com/product/709063/petzl-tactikka-plus-led-headlamp

The Tikka Plus and XP models are higher lumen, but dedicated red LEDs and the stock photo appears to only be 1 red led which implies low output and not much of an upgrade from what i have..

Still looking online and watching for other suggestions but right now the Tactikka Plus is top on my list. Edited by jonathon1289
Cannot believe i have spent 4 hours looking at headlamps now....
So, since i am trying to get an inexpensive but quality light and one not very bulky, i have narrowed my list.

Princeton Tec Remix with 3 red LEDs. I can get it from Amazon for $25 (newer model is $35, only listed difference is 125 lumens over 100).
http://www.rei.com/product/830453/princeton-tec-remix-headlamp

Petzl Tactikka Plus as listed in first post.

Or Cabelas RGB - highly rated as bright red output on several hunting forums. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Outfitters-Camp/Lights/Headlamps%7C/pc/104791680/c/104757480/sc/104743080/i/104379480/Cabelas-XPG-RGB-II-Headlamp/1716920.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1110237%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd1716920&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1716920%3Bcat104379480

For $25 though I think I should try the Tec Remix - and can always return it with Amazon. Thanks to everyone who has chimed in!

If you're wanting a red headlamp because of 'scaring the deer' seriously, don't worry. White, blue, green or red. I've walked upto withing 5yds of a deer &Y hog with a bright white flashlight & neither batted an eyelid. I honestly believe that the deer really don't care as long as you're down wind. I've tried all kinds of lights & in ever single instance, if there's a red option, it sucked. I have Petzls, Streamlights, & Fenix lights. Any time you switch to red or put on a red filter, your vision is reduced to no more than 10'. The human eye just can't focus on the light very well & in the situations that it is used (in the woods) most of the light spectrum is beyond our capabilities. 

I'd rather either use a white light, or wait until it's light enough to see without a flashlight at all.

My experience is the opposite, and animals clearly react to white light but limited to no reaction to red, although I will admit my red lamp experience is a bit limited.
As far as the 10' light, that would be much better than what my current light does.

I am going to take a chance on the Princeton Rec Remix since it is on sale. If I don't like it I will return and go with the Petzl Tactikka. I will update this post once I receive and test the headlamp.

I have a Petzel Tikka XP 2 with a red light and its worthless for walking to your deer stand.  Its great for being in a tent with stuff up close, but the light isn't bright enough to really pierce the darkness and let you see where you are walking.  Maybe the Tac Tikka is better.  In my experience, if you want a bright red/green light, then get a handheld light.  Like I said though, there might be a headlamp out there that fits the bill and I just dont know about it.  Keep us updated on your purchase because I am interested in something bright and red.  

I know they say animals don't notice the red light, but my dogs sure notice a laser pointer! 

The red light on most head lamps is intended for looking for something in your tent at 3am, its really not meant for walking through the woods.  You'd be better off finding a red lens/filter for a real flashlight. 

That said, Petzl, Princeton, etc... all good lights. 

• Like 1
Princeton Tec Remix arrived today. It has 4 modes - high and low in red and white. The default is low red, and second press/hold gets high red. Worth mentioning there is not an audible click when you press the button, my current Energizer can clearly be heard each time. Also do not cycle through white to turn off the light.

The low red mode is rated at about 10 feet. The high is about 23 (listed on the box). I tested both lights in a dark room at the house. The Remix low red is very close to the red Energizer mode. The high mode is a huge improvement and I can clearly see objects and read items from across the room.

Will test it in the woods Saturday but I am confident this light is a huge improvement and will make walking down the narrow trail and hill much easier. Well worth the $25 it cost me.