Is this right?

Hey, folks! I’m not a hunter; I just shoot for sport. I don’t know where else to ask this, though, so here it is…

I was on my way to Prentice Cooper earlier today to zero in the scope on my 10/22. Figured I’d have lunch while up there, so I brought a sandwich. I forgot to check managed hunt dates online, and once I got up there I realized that the shooting range was off-limits today. That’s what I get for not doing my homework, I suppose.

On my way back down from the mountain, I decided to stop on one of the rest/emergency stops off the side of the road and have my lunch. I stopped right here. Sandwich in hand, I walked towards the little creek off the side of the mountain. As I got closer, I noticed what looks like a goat carcass. The thing looks like it’s been there a long enough time (mostly bones and some fur), and I figured it must have been injured at some point, walked to the creek and died.

However, when I looked further down, I found a far more troubling sight. What looks like a deer, wrapped in plastic, just dumped in the creek:

IMG_20131205_122001.jpg

(I’ve made the above image clickable so you can see it full-size and zoom in.)

This looks like somebody’s trash. I know nothing about hunting, much less what one is to do with a carcass, but this just doesn’t seem right to me. It’s not that it was dumped that bothers me, it’s that it was dumped in a creek haphazardly covered in a plastic bag (in other words: trash).

Is this a health hazard? Should I call the people in charge of Prentice Cooper to report this so they can remove it? I’ll appreciate any guidance or clarification you can provide. Thanks!

Edited by agarzola

Sir; sorry you experienced that. We fight tooth and nail every year to get hunters to stop dumping their deer scraps on public land. Some folks just don't get the concept of using another method of disposal. What you witnessed is the result of a "lazy low life" so called hunter, getting rid of his trash. If you can ever catch someone doing that, get a tag number and I promise they'll never want to do it again! Report it to the officials at Prentice Cooper so they can keep an eye out. I think that is the area W/O Luper works. I'll give him a call and a heads up.

Note: Please don't think all hunters do this. They do not. Only those that don't care about others and/or the environment.

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 3
Guest Bonedaddy

Twice I've seen whole deer minus the head layin' on the side of hwy 412 and once inside Bartlett city limits I saw a big azz buck minus his head and back straps layin' in the street in the right lane of traffic. Dumbshizz, it is.