What caliber? and why?

gomer pyle

i am going to pick up rightwinger's tgo upper/lower in the morning :woohoo: . i have 2 ars in 5.56/.223 and i have been thinking about different calibers just because. i have no particular use in mind, maybe deer or coyote hunting. i have read some of the threads on 300 blackout and i have also read a little about the 6.8spc. what caliber should i pick .223, 300blk, 6.8, or ???? and why?

also, i am going to need a barrel. any brand suggestions or ones to stay away from?

Edited by gomer pyle

well, if you don't feel like switching out the bolt you only really have two options, the 5.56/223 or 300 BLK.  Which do you want it more for, coyote or deer. If deer I'd go with the 300, if coyote I'd find a good varmint barrel for it in 223 wylde. 

You can hunt both with either caliber, however alot of hunters do not feel comfortable enough in their abilities to utilize a .224 caliber round on a deer. And the slower 300BLK while it would work is not ideally suited to long range varmint.  (that being said there are some amazing shooters out there really pushing the distance on the 300BLK cartridge)

it will really depend on intended use. I know you mention deer and coyote hunting so I think youre on the right track looking at 300BLK or 6.8spc. both would do fine. I would suggest looking into availability of ammo unless you reload. the 6.8 is a good round that's been around a bit. I personally like the idea of 300BLK as I shoot .223 and larger .30 caliber guns so reloading components are shared a bit. I think it really shines in a subsonic sbr role as that's what it was designed for but it has also been pushed to major power factor in competition.

if you reload or plan on shorter range medium/larger game, I have liked the 450 bushmaster but never played with it.

There's another one that gets overlooked. Not a deer caliber, but great for varmints. 204 Ruger...

[media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZw5oAHUfPw [/media]

Thank you. I beat the drum on it so much I was embarassed to bring it up again.

.204 Ruger is phenomenal.
Guest Ditchdigger

My favorite is the 6.8.  AR Performance in morristown tn is the man for 6.8. He puts out some very nice 6.8 and 223 wylde parts. I have a 16" and 18" 6.8 from ARP and a 16" 223 planning on building for my daughter. Haven't built the 16 6.8 yet either. He also builds a heavy duty Super Bolt in both calibers, If you can catch them in stock. Check out 68 Forums also. Bison Armory builds the 6.8 1 in 7 twist barrels for subsonic. 204 and the 300 would be fun too. My safe is too small and my pocket book is too thin also. 

My favorite is the 6.8.  AR Performance in morristown tn is the man for 6.8. He puts out some very nice 6.8 and 223 wylde parts. I have a 16" and 18" 6.8 from ARP and a 16" 223 planning on building for my daughter. Haven't built the 16 6.8 yet either. He also builds a heavy duty Super Bolt in both calibers, If you can catch them in stock. Check out 68 Forums also. Bison Armory builds the 6.8 1 in 7 twist barrels for subsonic. 204 and the 300 would be fun too. My safe is too small and my pocket book is too thin also. 

^+1

[/URL]">http://[url=http://s465.photobucket.com/user/bucketlineman315/media/DSC_0349-1.jpg.html]DSC_0349-1.jpg[/URL]

my tgo lower. i couldn't wait, had to put the lower together. now to decide on caliber and get barrel and get some help on the upper

Edited by gomer pyle

I have barrels from both of those places. Good stuff! 16" 1:11 twist are the better ones. There are 1:10 6.8 barrels out there. Stay with a 1:11 if

you go that route.

What is the difference in 556 nato and 556 wylde?

Is there a preferred barrel length for 6.8?

The difference between 223, 5.56 and 223 wylde cambering has to do with the the length of the throat, also called the lead.     The 5.56 has a longer lead to deal with the higher pressure of NATO spec ammo, it is almost double the .223 lead (for the lower SAMI spec .223).  The wylde is a hybrid between the two offering a chamber that is tighter than a 5.56 for improved accuracy while still having a lead that is long enough to safely shoot the higher pressure NATO rounds.

• Like 1

The difference between 223, 5.56 and 223 wylde cambering has to do with the the length of the throat, also called the lead.     The 5.56 has a longer lead to deal with the higher pressure of NATO spec ammo, it is almost double the .223 lead (for the lower SAMI spec .223).  The wylde is a hybrid between the two offering a chamber that is tighter than a 5.56 for improved accuracy while still having a lead that is long enough to safely shoot the higher pressure NATO rounds.

thanks

The .300 Blackout has gotten a lot of press, but it's really just a 7.62x39 that feeds from AR magazines.  If that's what you want, great.  there are certainly a zillion different bullets in .308 diameter that you can use with it.

I used to use 5.56mm with 62gr softpoints on the coyotes.  Then I got a 6.5 Grendel upper and a case of the Wolf 120gr MPTs.  Excellent load on anything up to and including deer or black bear out to 4-500 yards.   Coyotes drop like they were hit by lightning.  With the Hornady 123gr A-Max loads, ringing the gong at 1000 yards is easy.

The Hornady 6.5G ammo is pretty easy to find.  The Wolf is out of stock, but Wolf has been promising a huge shipment due in 'any day now' for months.  Wolf is also supposed to have inexpensive steel-case practice ammo 'any day now'  (it's been 18 months). 

While 6.5G magazines were hard to find for a while, recently inventories are back to almost-normal. 

While 6.8 is certainly a fine cartridge, for versatility from a standard AR-15 platform, nothing matches the 6.5 Grendel.

The .300 Blackout has gotten a lot of press, but it's really just a 7.62x39 that feeds from AR magazines.  If that's what you want, great.  there are certainly a zillion different bullets in .308 diameter that you can use with it.

I used to use 5.56mm with 62gr softpoints on the coyotes.  Then I got a 6.5 Grendel upper and a case of the Wolf 120gr MPTs.  Excellent load on anything up to and including deer or black bear out to 4-500 yards.   Coyotes drop like they were hit by lightning.  With the Hornady 123gr A-Max loads, ringing the gong at 1000 yards is easy.

The Hornady 6.5G ammo is pretty easy to find.  The Wolf is out of stock, but Wolf has been promising a huge shipment due in 'any day now' for months.  Wolf is also supposed to have inexpensive steel-case practice ammo 'any day now'  (it's been 18 months). 

While 6.5G magazines were hard to find for a while, recently inventories are back to almost-normal. 

While 6.8 is certainly a fine cartridge, for versatility from a standard AR-15 platform, nothing matches the 6.5 Grendel.

The problem with Grendel is finding a barrel/bolt combo. I think I have finally locked one in. Gredel is more expensive if you really exploit it. But, it's the best performer in an AR. Looking forward to it.

Guest Ditchdigger

Hey Gomer, That's what Andy would say, I've still got the 16" ARP Scout profile barrel, hasn't been used. I'm sure it would be a while before I would build it anyway. If you decide to go 68 I could let you have it, to help you out. Not much for selling stuff, guess thats why I got so much junk. We are down that way pretty regular, and my daughter has horse riding lessons at Hunters Court on 96 on Tuesday nights. Sure my wife would be happy to sell it to you. It's only took me an hour to get this typed, and my heart is racin. I have looked at Iron Works Tactical, and Suppression Solutions out of stock there also.