Deer hunting and wind

No, and no. I guess the first no has a lot to do with the second no.

I can't stay warm in the wind, and what little I've hunted in it proved unproductive.

You can't hear anything, it is uncomfortable, and the few deer I've seen in the wind were very wary; more so than usual.

Edited by gregintenn

No, and no. I guess the first no has a lot to do with the second no.

I can't stay warm in the wind, and what little I've hunted in it proved unproductive.

You can't hear anything, it is uncomfortable, and the few deer I've seen in the wind were very wary; more so than usual.

I have heard the same . Kinda like they are spooked and really scared of all the noises . But it's always good to hear others experiences. Thanks . I am wondering if I can go out this afternoon . I'm in Clarksville and its a little breezy . 

I generally don't mind a heavy wind. I tend to stay out of the fields and go back in the woods where it's more sheltered. I'll also stalk from the ground.. not as cold and the noise from the wind covers my movement. I might not see as much, but it's tough to kill anything from inside the cabin.

I killed a buck the day before thanksgiving and there was a decent wind blowing in my face when I did it. I have really good cold gear so I usually can stay warm. If the wind is blowing decent usually its because a front is moving in and the deer will move more. 

My experience with wind is this; Deer rely on three senses for safety and security. 1). Sight. While the wind blows, you have leaves and limbs moving and bouncing everywhere. Makes deer very nervous as their sight is impaired in windy conditions. 2). Hearing. Windy conditions screw with their hearing big time. Again, making them nervous. 3). Smell. The deer's number one defense is "scent". Wind disrupts this like you wouldn't believe. I went to a seminar at BP a couple years ago when a speaker discussed this. Your best option according to this pro, is to hunt the "leeward" sides of ridges and / or thickets where the deer have sought shelter from the wind. I'm not talking about a breeze now, but a full blown wind! They will seek those sheltered areas for security and comfort. Cedar thickets on the leeward side of the hills is "pay dirt"! I don't know as I've only killed one nice buck on a windy day. On the leeward side of a ridge!

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 4

I only skip hunting the wind when my ground blind blows away or my tree I'm in weaves and sways so much as to create nauseous conditions!

DaveS

This happened to me already. I was sittin in my blind when the wind gusted and blew the blind right off of me lol. I ended up staking it down. Another fun time in the woods.
  • Like 1
I hunt on days I have off work. Sometimes it's hot, cold, windy, or rainy. Workin' man gotta play the hand he's dealt.

I prefer other conditions but windy I like to hunt the tallest ridge top I can get on , in my experience they like to bed down up there i guess so they can see or stalk ridge tops if I can get away with it. On top the it don't swirl as bad is one reason I like to hunt up high when its real windy. I've tried to hunt out of the wind but down low and side ridges i always got busted a lot from unpredictable swirls. Even if they can't lock you down they tend to vacate the premises if they catch a wiff. I figure cause they're already spooky from stuff moving and their hearing being impaired. I'm talking 20-30mph winds. But any wind I prefer to hunt higher on ridges if I can to cut out some of the swirling wind.
I hunt the wind, if I know i'll get busted easy I'll go somewhere else or use my climber to get in a more favorable position. Of course it just don't always work out.
  • Like 2

Last time I hunted was in a stiff (15-20mph) NNW wind.
I texted a buddy that I was going to quit as I figured that the wind would lock down the deer.
As my phone buzzed a reply, Icouldn't answer because of this......

IMG_20131118_150301_003_zps7024e73c.jpg

There are exceptions to every rule. And I like this one. I've been hunting many times when windy and I've gotten to witness numerous deer come in and bed down. It's really cool to watch all their activities as they lay and rest.

Dave

Guest Bonedaddy

Killed a doe Weds. evenin' and it was pretty windy and swirlin' then. I walked right up on it and it acted like it didn't even hear me trompin' down the hill. No idea I was there. I had give up on seein' one while sittin' in my blind and packed up to leave but I stopped to look around the pond, not 50 yds from my truck and there she was.