Nikon Monarch ATB Binoculars

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

Worth the $300?

Read the "customer reviews" on Cabela's, and they range, of course, from 'junk' to 'best ever made'.

Apparently the biggest complaint has been the eye-cups not staying put for adjustment to eyeglass wearers. The other complaint primarily has been the lens covers do not stay on no matter what.

Anybody using them, and LOVE or HATE them?

Do tell...:bowrofl:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest m4coyote

I really love Nikon equipment, and have spent many thousands of dollars on my Nikon D2X camera and professional lenses. It produces stunning photos, and I have won some photo competitions with it.

That said, I do not really have much faith in their binoculars. They are OK, but are not in the league of the European manufacturers offerings. The satisfaction of your choice really depends upon the intended usage of them. If you are very particular about optics, or plan on using them for extended periods of time, then spring for Leica, Swarovski, or Zeiss binos.

I purchased a very clean pair of used Swarovski 7 X 42mm SLC binoculars for $750.00, and they have been worth every dime. I can look through them for a couple of hours straight, and they will not give me a head ache. The detail that they resolve is just not possible with binoculars in the $300.00 to $500.00 range.

The binocular products offered by Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss, are all equal in quality, and the choice between them will boil down to personal ergonomic choice, individual vision characteristics, and overall size. Leicas are the most compact, and the lightest for their magnification ratio, but they are also the most expensive. Zeiss binos fall in the middle of the price aspect, but tend to be the largest overall size. Swarovski will probably be the least expensive, but are a little heavier than the other two.

In the end the choice is yours, and you will have to live with them, but a good set of binos are a joy to use, and will easily last a lifetime. Your grand kids will end up enjoying them just as much as you did.

I really love Nikon equipment, and have spent many thousands of dollars on my Nikon D2X camera and professional lenses. It produces stunning photos, and I have won some photo competitions with it.

That said, I do not really have much faith in their binoculars. They are OK, but are not in the league of the European manufacturers offerings. The satisfaction of your choice really depends upon the intended usage of them. If you are very particular about optics, or plan on using them for extended periods of time, then spring for Leica, Swarovski, or Zeiss binos.

I purchased a very clean pair of used Swarovski 7 X 42mm SLC binoculars for $750.00, and they have been worth every dime. I can look through them for a couple of hours straight, and they will not give me a head ache. The detail that they resolve is just not possible with binoculars in the $300.00 to $500.00 range.

The binocular products offered by Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss, are all equal in quality, and the choice between them will boil down to personal ergonomic choice, individual vision characteristics, and overall size. Leicas are the most compact, and the lightest for their magnification ratio, but they are also the most expensive. Zeiss binos fall in the middle of the price aspect, but tend to be the largest overall size. Swarovski will probably be the least expensive, but are a little heavier than the other two.

In the end the choice is yours, and you will have to live with them, but a good set of binos are a joy to use, and will easily last a lifetime. Your grand kids will end up enjoying them just as much as you did.

Wow, great intuitive knowledge. Thanks alot. By the way, got about $1,000 I can have to buy some binos?:D:D:D:D

Guest m4coyote

I hear you there my friend!

For myself, I decided that a binocular investment would be a once in a lifetime purchase, and I am still satisfied with my choice.

Any binoculars will be far better than none at all, and you can certainly do a lot worse than Nikon! Nikon is first and foremost an optics company, they have pride in their products, excellent customer service, and come with a great warranty.

I have a pair of the Nikon ATB, 10 x 40 and find them more than adequate and comparable to the higher priced glasses. While in Michigan on a fishing trip about six years ago, I had an opportunity to perform a side comparision at Jay's sporting goods store.

Jay's carries all of the major brands, including Leupold, Ziess, Stiener, etc. and I used the stores sales and display signs to compare the clarity of the different types.Some of these signs were 100 yards away. While I could have spent up to and over $1,000, it didn't appear, to me, that in the $300 to $900 category there was enough decernable difference to make the higher priced glasses worth the extra money. Now, make no doubt about it, I am a Leupold fan and I felt the Nikons were better. Compared to the Ziess and Lieca glasses, in this price range, they were, in my opinion, equal.

What it came down to, for my decision, was what I needed based on my primary hunting and general use. I use bionoculars primarily for deer and varmint hunting and for spotting waterfowl in flooded fields. The Nikons can easily perform this task. They have been to Montana with me on a mule deer and white tail hunt. I couldn't have asked for more and was able to glass open fields for long periods without eye strain.

It is, of course, your money but, do you really want to tie up $1K in one pair of bionoculars or would you rather have $700 left over to buy a new rifle, pistol, ammo, reloading equipment or plane ticket for a hunting trip?

It is, of course, your money but, do you really want to tie up $1K in one pair of bionoculars or would you rather have $700 left over to buy a new rifle, pistol, ammo, reloading equipment or plane ticket for a hunting trip?

That could not be for pertinent to my situation. Great idea. Thanks for the input.

The first time to Missoula (sp) and then across the line into Idaho to hunt elk in the Bitterroot mountains in the Bob Johnson Wilderness area. The second time to Billings, then east to Hysham. Hunted islands in the Yellowstone for white tail, mule deer and after filling the deer tag, pheasant. Hope to go back next year and am lucky to have a friend there who owns a ranch with his brother west of Billings and the family farm in Hysham. The ranch had been caught in the wild fires before my last trip. Everything had burned and it was to early for new growth to attract the animals back onto the ranch. They had a good year this past season though.

The first time to Missoula (sp) and then across the line into Idaho to hunt elk in the Bitterroot mountains in the Bob Johnson Wilderness area. The second time to Billings, then east to Hysham. Hunted islands in the Yellowstone for white tail, mule deer and after filling the deer tag, pheasant. Hope to go back next year and am lucky to have a friend there who owns a ranch with his brother west of Billings and the family farm in Hysham. The ranch had been caught in the wild fires before my last trip. Everything had burned and it was to early for new growth to attract the animals back onto the ranch. They had a good year this past season though.

Awesome. Reason I ask is because I hunt at least every other year with a friend just north of Forsyth (100 miles east of Billings). Been doing that since 1994. Love it. I know where Hysham is. Ever made it over to Ingomar? If you have...you already know what I'm going to say!!!

Headed back in '09!!!

Love Big Sky Country!

No, I have not made it to Ingomar yet. I am going to try to go back next year but, may have to wait until I get my daughter out of college. College tutition has put a crimp on out of state hunting for a couple of years.

Yes that and the fact that non-resident outfitter-sponsered A tags are $1,100! Crazy. A group from Dickson is going in '09. Hope you get to go! Here's where we go www.sage-n-sun-outfitters.com