Carry in Canada

Guest GLOCK2340

Guest GLOCK2340

I am going hunting in Canada, Ontario in particular, in November and was wondering if it is at all possible to legally bring a handgun across the boarder for protection? Also, I was wondering about the states b/w here and there that do not honor the TN permit: IL, WI. If any of you guys have experience with this situation I'd be grateful for some advice. From the info that I have seen so far though it does not look promising. Thanks!!:bowrofl:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GLOCK2340

"holy sh*t make shure you don't have any nra bumber stickers etc, & when they ask tell them u don't own any guns at all I personally have no plans of ever going to Kanada"

My Father in-law went last year and they took their hunting rifles. All they had to do was fill out a form and let the boarder agents see the rifles that match the forms. So hopefully no problem there. I was gonna take my Ruger .270 bolt action but if I don't get to have a sidearm for backup i.e. bears and wolves, I am gonna take my BAR .270. I figure and auto would give me a better chance than a bolt were I to need it. Although I would rather take the Ruger and a sidearm, but......:rofl: I know Canada is liberal, but I thought they atleast had some commonsense. I guess if it is ilegal to own a handgun then the badguys definantly can't get one!!:screwy::bowrofl::puke:

First of all, you need to know that Canada has some of the strictest gun laws in the WORLD.

Yes you can bring a handgun, rifle or shotgun into Canada, but there is lots of paperwork and it will cost you a few bucks. They also have plenty of restrictions, so you will want to compare those to what you intend on bringing with you.

No, you can not carry your handgun in Canada, so telling them you will use it for protection is the wrong idea. You will have to come up with a much better rason than that. You will need to make some phone calls and fill out some paperwork before making the trip. The process would be much easier if you were just going through Canada to hunt in Alaska.

I have never attempted taking a handgun into Canada, but my Uncle and Cousin's tell me it's a huge pain, and probably not worth your time. When members of my family go hunting up that way, they refer to these websites.

http://www.canadianembassy.org/government/guncontrol-en.asp

http://panda.com/canadaguns/#preface

You can bring a handgun to Canada if you are taking it up there for a shooting competition. It is as others of said a huge hassle to bring one with lots of red tape. You cannot just carry a handgun there for protection. Very very few people are allowed to carry a handgun in Canada for protection, besides armed guards, trappers, and bush pilots. I read somewhere that only a handful of high level prosecutors that get death threats are given our version of handgun carry permits. It is not too bad to bring a long gun up there.

Guest GLOCK2340
:bowrofl::rofl::sick:Tripledigitride....I just went through those sites for the past twenty minutes and I have a huge headache!! Maybe I can get some Crown Royal to cure it!:puke: I know one thing...I sure am glad I am an American.:screwy: Those restrictions are insane!! I was willing to go through some hassle to bring my handgun, but this seems a bit rediculous. The serrated fold-over will have to do for this trip. Atleast I'll have the BAR in the woods and by the bed!! Thanks a bunch for the info! Edited by GLOCK2340
:bowrofl::rofl::sick:Tripledigitride....I just went through those sites for the past twenty minutes and I have a huge headache!! Maybe I can get some Crown Royal to cure it!:puke: I know one thing...I sure am glad I am an American.:screwy: Those restrictions are insane!! I was willing to go through some hassle to bring my handgun, but this seems a bit rediculous. The serrated fold-over will have to do for this trip. Atleast I'll have the BAR in the woods and by the bed!! Thanks a bunch for the info!

Yeah Canada sucks

[ame]

[/ame]
Guest GLOCK2340

Strickj....Yeah its not that bad here, yet. Atleast we have the 2nd, 4th, 5ht amendments to protect us. However, the US govt is using the same seizure laws that were meant for drug dealers and gangs against the American people just like they are in Canada. Just makes you wonder how far people will be pushed before acting. I guess alot people don't realize how much it affects them until they know someone who has had it happen to them.:rolleyes: Good vids though, those people seem like they have there heads on straight, and I hope things turn out well for them.

Edited by GLOCK2340

I had a friend go to Canada back in the 1980s. He carried a handgun with him the entire trip, in his car or concealed. He just didn't say anything when he entered the country. When he returned for some reason he told the guard he had a handgun. The guard took it. End of story. He never got it back. Luck for him they didn't arrest him.

Guest janwbrown616

Well, guys, before retiring from Homeland Security, I was an Assistant Attache for DHS at the US Embassy in Ottawa, Ontario.

To make a long story short. Don't even think about it....

Maybe for a competition you might but you better start on the paper work way ahead of time.

Hunting rifles not much of a problem.

Don't get caught with a handgun up there. Lord a mercy. You could loose more than just a handgun.

A lot of local police cannot carry up there...., what does that tell you?

Guest GLOCK2340

;)Thanks for the tips guys. With the info you guys led me to and the info I found on my own I have come to the stark realization that a handgun is not a possibility in Canada. So as I said before looks like the serrated foldover will have to do for this trip. Atleast its something!:shake: Thanks again for the great info!!

Guest janwbrown616

Oh Yeah, the canuks don't like you carrying mace or stuff like that either. Not even a taser or stun gun....

Nice hunting knife is ok, Heck, even kids have them up there.....

Posts like this always remind me of this time i was at Bass Pro buying powder. I was checking out the brand new (at the time) XDM just for giggles because they were the only ones that had them. A fellow was beside me and was fondling a Sig and a Glock. He was amazed at this. He kept going on and on about how he'd never even touched a handgun. It was pretty cool because the sales associate was willing to get stuff out of the case for the guy to simply touch! He knew that he couldnt buy anything. Sales guy just wanted to show him what a piece of American freedom felt like.

Guest janwbrown616
Posts like this always remind me of this time i was at Bass Pro buying powder. I was checking out the brand new (at the time) XDM just for giggles because they were the only ones that had them. A fellow was beside me and was fondling a Sig and a Glock. He was amazed at this. He kept going on and on about how he'd never even touched a handgun. It was pretty cool because the sales associate was willing to get stuff out of the case for the guy to simply touch! He knew that he couldnt buy anything. Sales guy just wanted to show him what a piece of American freedom felt like.

I used to do Internet training for the RCMP and local cops up there. You would not believe their reaction when I"d tell them about our gun laws and the guns I owned. They were amazed.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a handgun into Canada in 1992 when I shot the IPSC North American Championship at Toronto.

The match officials sent me a form to fill out from the province of Ontario. Then I had to go to the local sheriff and have him do a background check on me and write up the results in a letter I submitted with the application.

But that was 1992. It's probably harder now. Also I don't think you can have magazines that hold more than ten rounds in Canada now either.

HEHEHE... Going to Canuckville, you better de arm everthing you have. If they even suspect you have a gun they will detain and seach you and your vehicle... and that takes hours.

This happened to me. They checked the driver's license, saw that I had HCP and virtually strip searched the car; and this was before 9/11.

Guest Verbal Kint

I hear that Charles (Paletiger13) is paying handsomely, to anyone who is willing to risk incarceration for smuggling a Tavor back into the States, from Canada, for him. PM him for details. :)

How do the Canadians have information by scanning TN DL's that you have a handgun carry permit? Does the information automatically pop up, even for foreign border patrol/LE?

Also, I was wondering about the states b/w here and there that do not honor the TN permit: IL, WI. If any of you guys have experience with this situation I'd be grateful for some advice.

As a former Illinois Police Officer and also some one that has been arrested for Unlawful Transportation of a Firearm in Illinois (Think I have the bases covered?:screwy:) I can tell you that you can’t legally have a loaded firearm on you or in your vehicle in the state of Illinois.

It has to be cased, unloaded in the trunk. Magazines can’t be loaded.