What cartridge do SWAT and military snipers use??

Guest HunterH

Guest HunterH

I was curious to know what rifle cartridge the SWAT and military snipers use for most purposes. I know about the Barrett .50 cal, which rocks, but what is used for most purposes and what rifle for that matter?

My guess.... a remington 700 with a .30-06 or .308 round. help me out.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They use .308, the M40's and M24's, and the accurized M14 are all chambered in .308/7.62x51 NATO. There are some accurized M16's that shoot the .223. I think that the designated marksman have these. The .50 Barrett is the M107/M82A1. These are S.A.S.R. or Special Application Scoped Rifles and I dont think they are supposed to use them against human targets, but I am sure some have. :D Please chime in if I have missed anything or gotten anything wrong. Thanks,

-Jason G

Guest bkelm18

I coulda swore a long time ago I saw a TV show on the .50 sniper rifle and they said it was against the Geneva Convention to use them on human targets. But I'm probably mis-remembering it because I'm pretty sure I've seen YouTube videos of it.

Now we are talking my language!! The majority of sharpshooters seem to choose the .308 for a few reasons. 1. The ballistic coefficient is MUCH higher in a .308 and allows the bullet to hold a truer flight without being effected by cross winds. 2. The energy delivered by the larger 30 caliber bullets allows for a greater chance of a "one shot stop". The recoil of a .308 is mild (as compared to a .30-06) and allows for a quick follow up shot if required. When the military started taking bids for a semi-automatic sniping system, one of the first requirements was it had to be a large bore rifle. (Knights Armament won the contract but DPMS had/has an awesome weapon in their SASS) Just my opinion...........

I seem to recall something about the Army snipers moving to the 300 Win Mag for long range sniping. This was more than a few years ago and I don't know how the mass adoption of the 50BMG has effected this.

Guest Todd@CIS

My Dept uses Remington 700s (.308) with Leupold scopes. They're loaded with Federal 168gr Match.

About two years ago we T&Eed two DPMS AR-10s. Neither would function due to headspace issues.

Rutherford Co SO has at least one Barrett .50 in their inventory...donated by Barrett.

Honestly... i dont see how a Barrett in "common police sniper" situations would be necessary.

I mean... i guess its nice to have around if you need it.. but thats about it.

• Administrator

Regarding Geneva Convention and the .50 cal ... it's commonly understood that the Geneva Convention does not prohibit shooting at enemy equipment with that caliber. Equipment can be interpreted as a vehicle, another weapon, the helmet the guy is wearing, the magazines he's carrying in the molle vest he's wearing, his uniform, etc.

:)

Guest bkelm18
Honestly... i dont see how a Barrett in "common police sniper" situations would be necessary.

I mean... i guess its nice to have around if you need it.. but thats about it.

If Barrett donates a .50cal sniper rifle to your outfit, are you gonna say no? :)

If Barrett donates a .50cal sniper rifle to your outfit, are you gonna say no? :)

Ok, ok. Yeah you're right. :puke:

I can see it now...

Ofrficer: "Dick, you better make that shot count..cause that round is coming out of your salary."

Edited by sling