Detail Stripped my Glock for the first time...

GlockSpock

• Moderators

So I've been field stripping it for a while now. I don't think anyone could argue that there is a firearm that is easier to field strip than a Glock. Just as easy, I could buy that. But easier? I don't believe it.

I've always heard how easy it is to detail strip them. I tried for the first time tonight. Three pins and you're done! I remember detail stripping the 1911 I had, it was very lengthy, but a process that I enjoyed. I was actually sorta disappointed at how short disassembling the Glock was. Getting it back together was easier than disassembling (in my humble opinion). So I did function checks (those possible with a Glock). Seems to be good. It is however something that I am weary about until I can go put a few magazines through just to be assured.

However, when it comes to Glocks, is it possible to put it back together and it seem to be right but it actually be wrong?

For anyone curious, I used this set of instructions. I felt it had everything I needed to know:

http://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Glock%20Disassembly

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The easiest mistake is to not position the spring on the slide stop underneath the lock block pin, as mentioned in the last step of your instructions.  Always insert the trigger pin in from the right side.  Never force any of the pins in--they will pop right into place if properly lined up.  Working the slide stop back and forth will help line up the trigger pin.  The recoil spring assembly can be disassembled and reassembled with a pair of pliers--just yank the pin/cap that captures the spring, then stick it back in the hole when putting it back together.  This is useful when you want to change spring weights, but want to keep the stock guide rod.  Some believe that stock Glocks are over-sprung.  Also, if you want to remove the firing pin channel liner, I think a 3/16" bolt does the trick--thread it in and pull it out.  Keep in mind that, once removed, your firing pin channel liner is now your former firing pin channel liner.  No real reason to remove it anyway. 

Don't listen to the folks who claim detail stripping a Glock will wear it out.  I've detail stripped several dozens of times each and no one would ever know the difference. 

Edited by deerslayer