New Ruger mk III 22/45's

Joe357

Just ordered 2 new Ruger MKIII 22/45's with replaceable grips to replace my Sig 1911 22's. Seems like everytime I take the sigs to the range and shoot a couple a hundred rounds through them I have to work on the slide to get one of the barrels to come out and put back in without rubbing the slide where the recoil spring would fit(this is the 3rd time). I only have about 5000 or so rounds through these guns. I have done the ccw mods to both these guns when I first received them so I think the warranty would be void.
I should have just bought the Ruger's to start with.

Do you all agree the ruger mkiii 22/45's are good shooting and long lasting guns?
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like mine pretty well. I got it about two months ago and have only about 150 rounds through it. The 22/45 IMO NEEDS the bushing mod. It may just be mine but those magazines just do not drop out. They "eject" maybe 1/2" and have to be manually pulled after that. My regular mkiii does not have that issue so I'm assuming its more of a 22/45 problem, though that may not be the case. Mine was also acting up a bit with subsonic ammo through a can, that maybe an ammo issue or can issue though. A deep cleaning will probably not hurt as I did only a cursory wipe down when I bought it.

If you haven't had one or a mkii or mkiii, they're a bit tricky to take down. The first time you do it you'll be wishing for your Sigs back, then comes the swear words and the mallet. Once you get it back together you'll swear you'll never take it down again. The good news is you may never have to. :lol:

I like mine pretty well. I got it about two months ago and have only about 150 rounds through it. The 22/45 IMO NEEDS the bushing mod. It may just be mine but those magazines just do not drop out. They "eject" maybe 1/2" and have to be manually pulled after that. My regular mkiii does not have that issue so I'm assuming its more of a 22/45 problem, though that may not be the case. Mine was also acting up a bit with subsonic ammo through a can, that maybe an ammo issue or can issue though. A deep cleaning will probably not hurt as I did only a cursory wipe down when I bought it.
If you haven't had one or a mkii or mkiii, they're a bit tricky to take down. The first time you do it you'll be wishing for your Sigs back, then comes the swear words and the mallet. Once you get it back together you'll swear you'll never take it down again. The good news is you may never have to. :lol:

Already ordered two Bam bushings ;)

What he said.  But I really like the 22/45. Don't shoot it enough, but thoroughly enjoyable little pistol.

Field striped and cleaned both guns today.
Also removed mag safety and added bushing to one gun.
Not as bad as I expected. Note to self: don't removed thumb safety. It took me an hour to get it back together by doing that other wise it wasn't that bad, but I did cut my hand taking the first one apart. After that I used a dowel made it a lot easier. Tomorrow round two with second gun. ;)

It is amasing how fast you learn, Last night I took apart the second gun, clean it again (don't know why), took out the mag safety, installed the new bushing put gun back together and it only took me 28 minutes with no cuts or anything. Life is good, just hope they both go bang when we pull the triggers. :)

On a side note, Ruger send these guns in plastic carry cases and thier 1911's in cardboard boxs, I don't get that. Cheaper gun in plastic box, higher dollar gun in cardboard box ????

To keep from losing the safety detent plunger put some grease in the hole where it resides in the safety button, then use some foam/sponge/eraser to keep it positioned correctly when you reassemble.  When reassembling from a complete disassembly I prefer to put the frame in a padded vice with the barrel pointed slightly downward.  

I've ripped the mag disconnects out of a dozens of MKIIIs and replaced them with standard MKII bushings or this guys machined product.  I took the LCI out of several also.  I used this guy's product to fill the gap where the LCI went in mine.  I just don't like all the gunk that accumulates around the LCI.  If you replace replace the sear and trigger with VQ parts you will drop your trigger pull to a clean 2.75lbs.

This part more accurately replaces the space of the mag disconnect in MKIIIs 

http://www.tandemkro...ushing_p_9.html

LCI replacement

http://www.tandemkro...nsert_p_16.html

http://www.tandemkro...Combo_p_34.html

These are nice replacement parts also:

Volquartsen triggers (adjusts for over and pretravel)

http://www.rimfiresp...tegory_Code=VC2

MKII bushing to be used in place of the MKIII mag disconnect apparatus: 

Volquartsen sear will do amazing things for your trigger pull

Thanks, I was thinking about replacing the LCI, I used tandemkro bushings on both guns. Going to put some rounds through the guns before I do trigger job or replacement. I missed out on the sale for magazines, maybe they will run a Christmas sale. Thanks for the links.
Took out the LCI's out of both guns today and ordered the filler parts from tandemross. That took all of 5 minutes per gun with disassembly and reassembly to take the pieces out.

As far as shooting they both functioned perfectly not one ftf or stove pipe,nothing. As far as being accurate,these guns make me look good. I am very happy with these guns so far and would recommend them. The only thing I would recommend to someone who is thinking about purchasing one, is to become familiar with the take down and reassembly procedures (read & watch the online videos).
  • 2 weeks later...

Its probably the best made and longest lasting 22 in the price category.  With the fixed barrel, they are accurate enough, to beat the accuracy you need to spend nearly 3 times the money.  A little aggravating to deep clean them, and that is the worst thing you can say about one (not including personal taste comments such as grumbling about the balance or grips or whatever).  

I do not know how many thousands of rounds mine has had, but many.  I have probably 15 or 20 of the 500- 600 round bulk boxes empty (well, full of reloading brass or other things now) and I did not keep every box, not even close.