Son's License

Guest CCPT

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did that back when both my boys were 4 and 5 years old and was a very good investment and my youngest son bought his two boys theirs when they were about the same ages. His youngest son does not hunt but fishes a lot so still paid off for him also.

My youngest boy's lifetime came in the mail a week or two ago.  He'll be 3 in a couple weeks. 

Here's a question...  as a lifetime sportsman license holder, do they still have to attend a hunter's safety course at some point?  I plan to send them regardless, but I'm curious if its a requirement?

I didn't know so I looked it up....

Those under 10 years of age do not need a Hunter Education certificate, but must be accompanied by an adult at least 21 years of age, who must remain in a position to take immediate control of the hunting device.

I didn't know so I looked it up....

Those under 10 years of age do not need a Hunter Education certificate, but must be accompanied by an adult at least 21 years of age, who must remain in a position to take immediate control of the hunting device.

Right.  But what about when they're old enough to hunt alone?  Do they have to take the course?

I believe they do. It's even more critical if they will ever hunt in other states, for example Missouri and Illinois require proof of Hunter Safety course completion in order to buy a license.

Not just that but it seemed like a right of passage for me when I went thru it!

By the way great move on their Lifetime License! I got my boy his for his second birthday. One day he will know the value of it I hope!

Once your son reaches 10 years of age, he is required by the state of Tennessee to attend and pass a hunter safety course before he can hunt by himself. Before 10, you have to be in position to take immediate possession of his firearm. After 10, you will still need to accompany him on the juvenile hunt, but not in any other hunting season.

The hunter safety course is a good thing for anyone.

Both my boys have a lifetime license, and my oldest son is probably already in the black with his. It was only $100 when he was born. The price rose to $200 when my second son came along. I still consider that a bargain.

You are doing him a huge favor buying this, and the time will fly by. You'll be hunting together before you know it.

I understand they will be able to hunt in Tennessee as long as they live regardless of residence. You may want to double check me on that, however.

Agreed.  Its good for TN regardless of residence.  Does nothing for whatever state they may live in though.