tactical/target rifle stocks

jacob

I am looking at getting a different stock for my Savage 116.  I have found some stocks I am interested in, but some of the terminology being used is new to me and I can't really find any clarification.  Hoping someone would be willing to teach a dummy some new info.  Basically needing to figure out the difference between a center feed and stagger feed mag.  Also, some of the stocks I am looking at (i.e. Manners, etc) don't specifically list a Savage 116, but they do list a 110.  I was thinking these would be in the same "family" of receivers, but again am kind of new in this area.  Any help, as always is appreciated...

Good thing for you all long actions are the same size between the action bolts. So the only other concern is whether it is a stagger or center feed.

The easiest way to tell is if the rear of the bolt has a cocking indicator in it. When they switched from stagger to center feed they also added a cocking indicator to the rear of the bolt. When the gun is cocked and ready ro fire there should be a rod almost sticking out of the recess in the rear of the bolt. If it is a stagger feed it will look like a 1/4" allen wrench hole.

Another indicator is the barrel nut. If the barrel nut is smooth it is, for the most part, a center feed. If the barrel nut has grooves in it then it generally is a stagger feed. But during the transition it may have had either.

The other way to tell is to load two rounds in the magazine. Then look straight down into the magazine. If there is about 1/4 of the second round showing it is a stagger feed. If all you see is the top round then it is a center feed.

If the rear of the receiver has a flat area (like a Remington 700) then it is 100% stagger feed. If the rear of the receiver is round it can be either a stagger or center feed depnding on the descriptions above.

If the bolt release is on the bottom of the stock in front of the trigger guard it is a center feed. If the bolt release is on the right side of the action it can be either a center or stagger feed depending on the descriptions above.

110, 111, 112, 114, 116 are all the same actions. The only difference is whether it is a center or stagger feed. For the most part the action screw spacing is the same for all long actions regardless of year. There were a few odd models.

What kind of stock are you looking at.

• Like 1

one of your descriptions hit the nail on the head....my bolt release is in front of the trigger guard so it is a centerfeed...looking at something along the lines of a manners t4...any other stocks that would work with my rifle that you might recommend?