This is how you clean rifles!

Dustbuster

We were in between switching from sateens to camouflage. we were actually allowed to wear sateen covers w camo.starch was optional but widespread. in those days the marine corps was still  the last to change or get anything new.The 1911's we shot were so worn out they could literally shoot around a corner 90 degrees when pointed dead ahead LOL.

Those tables are still there and we still do that alot. I was there from January to April, and we always got soaked by those faucets and it was a good old freezing time

a cleaning party sounds fun but standing up with no room to work and wearing a hat indoors?? Trying to do that standing up and without and space, I would come out of there wearing a back undershirt (originally white) ....
That's outdoors. Those were big concrete tables in the center of the horseshoe formed by the squad bays. Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots

meh. Shaving cream, issue toothbrush, and hot water. Spray with shaving cream (use the foamy one not the gel), scrub with toothbrush, rinse with steam hot water. Wipe down with towels, run borebrush, then a few patches down the bore. Then apply really light oil and then wipe down. Then sit back while the rest of the knuckle heads use CLP and spend 4-6 hours to clean a weapon, having it rejected by TL, SL, and then by the armor.. 

Never ever again get gigged during IG Inspections. 

Guest Bonedaddy

Brake cleaner works great. I also soak all my metal parts in Zmax overnight to saturate the metal when new and from time to time. Makes cleaning purdy easy for me.

In boot camp you didn't dare clean a rifle w anything other than bore cleaner and patches. The threat was destruction of govt property and the boot camp penalties ie digging for sand fleas, pt, etcetera
Now it doesn't matter w all the wonder solutions we have. Life is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 1

In boot camp you didn't dare clean a rifle w anything other than bore cleaner and patches. The threat was destruction of govt property and the boot camp penalties ie digging for sand fleas, pt, etcetera
Now it doesn't matter w all the wonder solutions we have. Life is good!

I think they knew there was better products on the market and better techniques, it was just part of the modeling process. So you would get used to embracing the suck.. 

• Like 2

Hand guards off, bcg apart, FCG left intact, buffer and spring can come out stock left on.

In boot camp and regular inspections, yes, but in my unit if it was for an IG inspection, (and with the CO's un-official blessings of course), we went far beyond that. We took off the compensator to clean the space between it and the barrel because that was one of the hardest places to clean as well as the most frequently gig'd spot on the inspections. In 29 Palms we also took advantage of the super hot water in the barrack's along with the low humidity of the environment and ran the uppers through hot water because carbon hates water, (we used water to clean the howitzers too). The temperature of the water was such that it heated the metal enough that when you shook-off the water you could watch the moisture quickly evaporate away. We would then put a light coat of CLP on the outer surface of the barrel that was wiped off right before the inspection. Trigger assemblies were also removed and thoroughly cleaned as well. Admittedly, this could have gotten use in a lot of hot water ourselves, but it worked to get a completely clean rifle and no gigs on the IG inspection for our rifles. :)