Need Some S&W Revolver Work

I have two Smith & Wesson revolvers that need action tuneups.  Also have a Model 27 that has locked up.  Who would you recommend to do this work in Middle or East Tennessee?  I live in Chattanooga but am willing to drive a distance to get quality work done.  I am in Nashville and Knoxville quite a bit.

Any help is appreciated.

I wish I knew how everything got locked up.  The gun has been sitting in my gunsafe for a good 25 years.  I took it out about six months ago, cocked the hammer and then eased it back down.  Everything was fine up to that point.  I tried to cock the hammer again and the gun locked up.  Hasn't worked since.

If it sat that long the lube or lack of lube inside the frame may have bunked up. If it were mine I would remove the side plate and give it a good cleaning. If you are not comfortable doing this don't experiment on taking it apart, Model 27's are worth way to much to make silly mistakes on.

I wish I knew how everything got locked up.  The gun has been sitting in my gunsafe for a good 25 years.  I took it out about six months ago, cocked the hammer and then eased it back down.  Everything was fine up to that point.  I tried to cock the hammer again and the gun locked up.  Hasn't worked since.

S&W’s are pretty easy to work on. Most anyone could probably fix that. If you don’t feel comfortable taking it apart I would call S&W. They will probably treat you right. (Fix under warranty)
As far as the “action job” goes S&W Performance center charges $165; tough to beat that. I do my own, but they are range guns; not carry guns.

Watch some youtube videos, print an exploded view of the action parts, buy yourself a good gunsmith screwdriver set, and do it yourself.

They aren't very complicated once you know what to expect when you pull the side plate. That, and you should really understand how your gun operates. It'll help you be a better shooter.

Edited by gregintenn

I have seen Mr. Howard at Predator recommended to other posters. 

Super:  Bob is a great guy and an excellent smith "smith"... We have used both Hamilton Bowen (...he does more "fancy" cosmetic hand and machine work -- E.G. blackpowder flutes on smiths and colts, etc...) and Bob (...he is a machinist also; does lots of rifle work and builds parts as needed...) almost interchangeably over the years...

I've got a couple of old 1917 smith and wessons that are goin over to Bob to redo the triggers on just after the first of the year myself; along with a newer smith 442 that needs some trigger work...

The trigger job Bob did on our little model 36 smith is excellent...

I have found Bob to be an excellent gunsmith...He should be able to look at, clean up, or fix anything ya need doin... We are classic smith guys ourselves (...we like "N" frames like your model 27; on of my all time favorite smiths, by the way....) and I wouldnt hesitate to have Bob do anything that wuz needed to any of them...

As ya can see im a great Predator Custom Shop supporter, satisfied customer, and cheerleader... They are all great guys and they are as good a group of gun craftsmen that ya can find anywhere... More than that, they get things done relatively quickly and their word is their bond... A very valuable commodity today...

leroy

Thanks for the response.  I will take him three "smiths" when I am in Knoxville next month.  Many years ago Hamilton Bowen put a Clark trigger on my MKII.  It made it a fun gun to shoot.  I just don't need his package price work.  But he is a truly great gunsmith/inovater.  I will probably break down and have him build me a custom GP100 or Redhawk .45 Long Colt.

• Like 1