can a person carry in a church?

Guest Boonie

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With church shootings starting to become more common then carrying would be a wise choice.I was impressed with the bravery of Jeanne Azam the church member on security duty in Colorado who stopped the shooter there.She left cover and advanced toward the shooter firing as she moved.The shooter fired the shot that took is own life but Ms Azam had hit him several times.

Guest sermon8r
Please carry your gun to church. When you do, you make it a little bit safer for everyone there. On the other hand, if a bad guy comes in, please be very careful to shoot him, and not a fellow church member!:)

dont shoot the Pastor if you get your toes steped on from the Sermon....:koolaid:

There is no law against carrying in a church.

...in Tennessee (which I suspect is what the OP was indeed asking).

In some other states it is. The only way it would be in Tennessee (at the moment) would be if the church posted the TCA 39-17-1359 sign:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

I carry discreetly at church.

Guest sermon8r
Or carry your firearm IN your Bible!:) No seriously carry and practice with both..... a lot. Either one, not practiced enough can be dangerous.

Well said Brother...:D

Guest bkelm18
What if the church also operates a school?

What if it is just a preschool instead of a K-12 type school?

I believe that changes things. If the church also operates as a school, then it becomes a gun-free zone.

...in Tennessee (which I suspect is what the OP was indeed asking).

In some other states it is. The only way it would be in Tennessee (at the moment) would be if the church posted the TCA 39-17-1359 sign:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

I carry discreetly at church.

I wouldn't go to a church that posted.

Guest cdsusong

Hey, from the other thread (CCW at Church) I spoke with a pastor friend yesterday at an IDPA match about this issue. Believe it or not, there are a lot of pastors that agree with the flock being prepared. And there a quiet a few of the pastors that are actually packin' themselves. He said that his church was in the process of putting a security team in place. They will have either a retired LEO or current LEO to head the team up. There are a lot of liability issues to go along with this. You have to be prepared for any legal issues that may come up from a bad guy intrusion. If he comes in and is spraying lead, and you take action, chances are you are good to go. We had a lengthy discussion on this topic and if anyone wants to know any other info let me know.