Training. How seriously do we take it?

A friend and I recently talked about training as it concerns firearms. Both of us are from different backgrounds, professions, and possess different types/levels of training. I always enjoy constructive conversations with fellow professionals and enthusiasts because it's a transfer of knowledge and experience, not a contest or attempt to best the other. We don't always agree on everything, however it's healthy to talk to one another and take the time to research what we hear about. This includes everything from tactics, weapons manipulation, equipment and setup, an understanding of psychology and physiology as it relates to lethal force situations and the aftermath, and so on. Among the many things we agree on is the need to be open minded and be willing to learn from others, especially those who have seen combat whether domestically or afar. Don't be afraid to stand your ground on topics or matters you feel strongly about, but make sure you're not discounting something based on pride. To be a good student of any discipline is to be a good listener. Never stop learning. I don't always agree with everything I hear or read, but I always look for what I can take away from a discussion. In other words, "what can I learn from this person"? I also have to be willing to admit from time to time that things I have practice or employ may not always be the best or even sometimes downright incorrect. It's dangerous to let pride affect our professionalism. The ownership and employment of firearms is a serious responsibility. The moment you don't take it seriously, is the moment you open yourself and those around you to danger. In my opinion to own carry a firearm is to take on the responsibility of understanding our weapons intimately, not compromising our safety practices, taking in knowledge and doing our best to decide if it benefits us, and employing that knowledge in regular training so we can be assets and not liabilities. This applies to everyone from a seasoned veteran of combat, to the uniformed persons protecting us, to the mother that is defending her children. To me, the best persons I know seek to do no violence and/or hope that the need to employ it never comes about. But those same persons train as though that day is an inevitability. If you own and carry firearms, please understand that this is not a joke or a game. A firearm is a tool, not a status symbol. Understand that if you have to use your weapon, you will be doing so in a stressful and dynamic situation where anything can happen. I hope for everyone's sake whether armed or not, that no man or beast will ever try to do harm onto you. But for those that are armed (military, law enforcement, citizen, sheepdogs) I say to you...train seriously and train regularly, don't stop taking in knowledge, ready your bodies and minds, and be ever vigilant...so that if that day comes where you must employ all this, you can emerge well and unharmed, and protect those we hold dear. Stay safe and take care of each other.

Edited by jaredsterry
  • Like 2

I suspect most enthusiasts take training seriously but I often wonder how many firearm owners (but not enthusiasts) do not. I started hunting when I was about 8 years old (with a bolt action 410 shotgun) have owned firearms for most of my life yet I would by lying if I said I always trained on a regular basis.

Not long ago, I read an article in Concealed Carry magazine regarding the difference between an firearm owner/collector and someone who owns a firearm/firearms for self defense/protection, etc. The purpose was not to disparage one over the other; just point out there there is a difference and that some folks who believe they are the latter are really the former. A rule of thumb the author proposed as a way to identify the more serious self-defense firearm owner was for him/her to have at least one training certificate for every five firearms owned...seems like a reasonable measure to me.

About ten years ago I made an agreement with myself that I would take at least two formal training courses each year and on average, I've done a good job of keeping that promise to myself but I wish I had the time, money and physical strength to take a class each month...I simply don't have enough of any of those three things!

Anyway; thanks to the OP for a great post!

• Like 1

Thank you jaredsterry. Good post...and welcome as well.

imho, training, professional training, and incorporating the information from that training into regular practice is one of the most necessary, but neglected aspects of firearms ownership.

I'm not meaning to be disrespectful to anyone...as Robert pointed out, there are folks that collect or amass firearms, and folks that own firearms with the purpose of self defense in mind.

Nothing wrong with either group.

Investing in professional instruction is investing in yourself. To me that is the best possible investment that can be made.

That said, your training must be recent, relevant, and realistic...I am remiss in this and hope to improve upon myself in the coming year.

Thanks again for the thoughtful post.

• Like 1

While agree with the premise I also think some folks get WAY too overly serious about something that is likely to never happen. I don't train with my hammer everyday focusing my mind and muscle memory to drive nails with the precision and efficiency of a machine, or take weekend race car training courses to ensure that my mind, reflexes, and driving abilities are top notch in case a massive car wreck evasion techniques needed. Now those things could help, but the reality is the practice is overkill for the purpose.  Much like many of the tactical "training" classes are not much more than fantasy camp for adults. Yes they have value, but for the reality of the application, it is unnecessary.

Now, taking some basic classes and shooting on a regular bases is needed and fine, but much of the "training" that is emphasized is primarily for fun and should be viewed as such. Let the flames begin ;)

I appreciate your viewpoint Smith, and my response is in no way a flame and is respectfully submitted.

On instructors:

It is our obligation to choose wisely. I agree that some classes are indeed just fantasy gun camps with an over abundance of Walter Mitty types. And some instructors simply don't possess the background, or teaching abilities they may profess.

I have been fortunate that the majority of training venues I've attended contained serious adults with realistic goals and expectations, taught by competent and gifted professionals.

But I did the footwork first...

The greatest value I personally gleaned from professional training was the realization that "I didn't know what I didn't know".

So for me it is an ongoing venture from "unconscious incompetence" towards "conscious competence" and maybe, just maybe, one day "unconscious competence". It's merely a personal goal.

We are extremely fortunate in this day and age to have many learning opportunities available to us. There were only a few "schools" when I started this journey.

To repeat myself (I getting old and old people do that sometimes...)...It's our responsibility to choose wisely where we spend our hard earned dollars. But investing in yourself is never a bad idea, imho.

We are also pretty darned fortunate to have some talented professionals as frequent contributors here at TGO.

:2cents:

Edited by prag
  • Like 3

Not all training is "fantasy camp"....While there are some "tactical dude ranch experiences" out there that does not mean ALL training is that.

Some folks teach civilian training classes based on the NRA safety class with a sprinkling of legal info (which is essentially what the TN HCP class is) , some teach based on IDPA match prep with some awareness and legal info added, some try to teach from a police or military perspective and try to bend that to fit civilian encounters and then finally there are some who actually know the difference and teach from the perspective of  the criminal assault paradigm. They teach what the typical criminal assaults will most likely look like , teach you to avoid it if possible and then provide concepts and solutions for the likely situations, not just teach you shooting techniques with no clear vision of WHAT you are actually training for and expect you to figure it out in the heat of the moment...... 

So just like there being good lawyers , doctors or mechanics and there also being  bad lawyers, doctors, or mechanics, there are people in the training industry that can speak with authority on all subjects from human reaction time, to effects of adrenaline on your motor skills to recognizing the cues of an assault about to happen, to how to shoot more efficiently and effectively to how integrate hand to hand skills with use of the gun,  to treat a gunshot wound to how to talk to the police afterward....and then there are those who can do little more than follow a syllabus someone else wrote.....not ALL training is the same. 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 4

I used to think I knew how to shoot and was the bomb.  But I was VERY wrong.  Once I joined the Sheriffs Dept. I realized how wrong I was.  The training they gave me was the type of training some people pay allot of $$$$$ for.  I have learned that some of the most dangerous people in this country are military trained personal and then LE.

Edit:

two more words "muscle memory"

Edited by NRA

Very good discussion.  I mirror prag's journey; thought I knew what I was doing and could shoot a pistol.  As said, you don't know what you don't know.  I have invested quite a bit in over 200 hrs of training with a number of different instructors.  It is important to realize that one must master basic shooting skills as well as safe gun handling skills before moving on to more advanced tactical maneuvers.  Suarez and Cruel Hand Luke have several levels of programs to do just that.  Too many people think the HCP course is a suitable training course and they are sadly mistaken.  Tactical Advantage Corp. in Knoxville is now offering multiple level courses at very reasonable prices.  I would hope that anyone who is willing to assume the responsibility of every day carry would understand the need for additional training and discover some of what they don't know.  There is a whole lot more to it than simply strapping a gun on because you have a permit.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
Guest RustyF

Among the many things we agree on is the need to be open minded and be willing to learn from others, especially those who have seen combat whether domestically or afar. Don't be afraid to stand your ground on topics or matters you feel strongly about, but make sure you're not discounting something based on pride. 

jaredsterry, I couldn't agree more. When I was a young SSG (a long time ago) I was sent to a mountaineering school. The very first day and the very first class they told us, "There are no 'experts' in the mountains, they're all dead because they thought they were an expert". I approached the rest of my career with that attitude and tried to learn all I could.

Most people who think they are an expert are above learning. After spending 33 months in Iraq and over 30 in Afghanistan, I have observed that you must constantly learn. It is a very fluid, ever changing environment, and if you can't learn and adapt you'll end up hurt at best.

You can learn from anyone, sometimes what not to do. But remain open minded. Some of the best ideas I've seen came from young PFCs or 2LTs, because they hadn't been indoctrinated into a "way" of thinking. They look at the scenario completely different and come up with fresh ideas. Not all of them are good, but cross check it with the principles and fundamentals and you may be surprised how effective it can be. 

Edited by RustyF