Philadelphia first U.S. city to ban 3D printed guns

SupaRice

It’s just a knee jerk reaction to technology that they don’t understand. 3D printing is some bad azz technology that will be very useful in manufacturing; but guns are not one of those uses.

I find it amusing that I could produce a gun that is fully functional and would rival anything mass produced by gun makers, and it is legal; but involve a 3D printer and people starting wringing their hands.

On a different note, we are looking at getting some parts quoted that we machine with 5-axis machines on complex surfaces; printing should be a fraction of the cost.
  • Like 2
Guest TankerHC

They will be banned across the board soon, the ATF has been testing 3D Printed guns and about two weeks ago classed them as weapons of destruction and also made the determination they can be classed as a deadly weapon. Couple of days after the 3D printed metal 1911 video went up and I believe a day or two before a congressman who's name escapes me at the moment stated that rather than letting the plastic Gun law expire this month, it needs to be strengthened. The gun tested by the ATF I believe is the single shot all plastic 3D printed gun that was determined that it can be fired at least once, snuck aboard planes and used for assassinations as I recall. 

Yea, that ban was to be expected, I also expect it to spread like wildfire as soon as a bunch of other states realize it can be done.  Figured it would happen as soon as I read the ATF's determination. 

Edited by TankerHC

Won't stop anything. Unless they outright ban 3D printers, it can't be stopped. People will release, create, and download files for printing out firearms as the technology becomes more available. Once on the internet and on the people's computers, it can't be stopped. The internet is truly the ultimate anti-government tool, next to a gun...

...and that's also ignoring the fact that, for now, 3D printers that allow one to make a gun that would hold up for any decent amount of time are highly expensive. You could make one with a milling machine and a lathe for much, much less! But, of course, as any and all firearm laws are nonsensical and unconstitutional, so this one follows in the trail of any and all local, state, and federal laws past.

What I would love to see is for everyone with a distrust or disdain for government to have a 3D printer capable of printing out decent quality firearms in their basement or closet... then, the government's only option would be to either go for complete and total tyranny and civilian spying, or give up the ghost and reduce their power for fear of their own rotten lives...

Okay, the soap box is getting put up! Sorry, TGO.

Philadelphia: who gives a ####?

I am guessing we all should.   Cause now that group of mayors that wants to make every city the same like new york will try to push this agenda. 

It seems when someone throws stuff on the wall in one city and it sticks, other cities follow soon after.

I am guessing we all should.   Cause now that group of mayors that wants to make every city the same like new york will try to push this agenda. 

It seems when someone throws stuff on the wall in one city and it sticks, other cities follow soon after.

I don't care. I like real guns better. I had a bunch... until that tragic boating accident.

• Like 2

How can they do that? It's perfectly legal to manufacture your own firearm. Using a lathe and a mill is ok, but a 3D printer isn't??

If it is plastic or of a non-traditional shape; they are already illegal under the Undetectable Firearms Act. Unless renewed again, the law will expire in December.

The cat's already out of the bag. The fact they they can be made is all that matters. If someone wants to attempt an assassination with a 3D printed gun, I'm guessing a ban isn't isn't even a slight hindrance. 

I wouldn't be surprised if 80% lowers are banned in the near future.

I was just thinking that. This will surely be written widely enough to take in all home-manufactured firearms.

Edited by tnguy

How can they do that? It's perfectly legal to manufacture your own firearm. Using a lathe and a mill is ok, but a 3D printer isn't??

Nothing in federal law prohibits states/municipalities from enacting most any kind of stricter ones. Perhaps you haven't noticed that most all have? ;)

Of course, I suppose the ATF could try to class a "non metal barreled" firearm as a Destructive Device, in which case you'd have to have a tax stamp to legally possess one.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Nothing in federal law prohibits states/municipalities from enacting stricter ones. Perhaps you haven't noticed that most all have? ;)

So very true.  I wish people would obsess less on the federal government and start paying more attention to local affairs.

• Like 1

Nothing in federal law prohibits states/municipalities from enacting most any kind of stricter ones. Perhaps you haven't noticed that most all have? ;)

Of course, I suppose the ATF could try to class a "non metal barreled" firearm as a Destructive Device, in which case you'd have to have a tax stamp to legally possess one.

- OS

Point taken. But 3D printing isn't limited to plastic. Does this mean it would be illegal for a firearm manufacturer to invest in 3D printing technology? So it's ok to start with a block of metal and make a pile of chips, but the reverse is illegal?

Point taken. But 3D printing isn't limited to plastic. Does this mean it would be illegal for a firearm manufacturer to invest in 3D printing technology? So it's ok to start with a block of metal and make a pile of chips, but the reverse is illegal?

Dunno down the road, but talking about local law here so far. Which stands, unless preempted by state or federal law, or deemed to have done so by legal appeal.

- OS

Glenn and tnguy illustrate my point. The lawmakers are showcasing their ignorance by restricting the manufacturing method. If it's already illegal to own an undetectible gun, then legistating against one specific manufacturing process to produce something thats already illegal is exceedingly stupid. But I guess that shouldn't surprise me.