Restoring M1, 1903

M1_Garand

Ever since CMP opened up their new "custom shop," I've been very tempted to send my two war rifles off to have them restored. However, I'm not sure if doing so would hurt their value, so I'm open to hear some opinions from those of you that have more knowledge about these things. The rifles in question are:

M1 Garand, summer of '42 production date. I purchased this rifle from CMP about 10 years ago. It was supposed to be a Greek return, but after receiving the rifle i'm more convinced that it was Danish and CMP simply screwed up what pile they pulled the weapon from. It has lock bar sights, milled trigger guard, beech stock and a VAR barrel. Bore is good, and the weapon has obviously been re-arsenaled many times during its service life. The barrel and gas tube had been re-parked at some point, but the receiver, op rod, and other parts still have their original well used finish. My thoughts on restoring it would be a complete re-park and a new USGI stock form CMP. The beech stock is in decent shape and I'd probably just put it in storage.

1903 Springfield - original, no Mark I, A3, etc. Its a high serial number weapon, production date somewhere in the 1918 - 1920 range as far as I've been able to research. As far as I can tell, it was re-barreled in '42 and then placed in storage sometime after. The bolt shows some wear on the handle and on the moving parts, but otherwise she is a good example of an original 1903. About the only thing I'd want to do it it is have the metal parts re finished (I don't think its parkerized, its almost more like a blue or black finish). I'm more inclined to leave this weapon alone, honestly.

I'm not looking to sell the rifles at any point in the near future, but I don't want to do anything to destroy their value. I would like to have the Garand look like she did when she rolled off the production line in 1942, but not if its worth more in its current condition.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JMHO......,

I would leave them alone. 

They can only be original once.

As you have described them, the rifles are an honest reflection of their history. 

I know there are folks who spend a lot of time and money trying to make their military rifles "correct" and all matching, but what they are doing is removing the true lineage of the firearm.  I fully understand replacing a worn, damage or repo part with the correct part.  However trying to achieve a re-creation of how the rifle looked the day it departed the armory is sort of a false statement in my mind.  However, I do feel different about taking a rifle that has been sporterized and returning it to its military configuration.  That is mostly because "bubba-smithing" is known for being just a poor hack job.   

And Besides - - - If you have ever been around soldiers cleaning weapons you know that no one is worried that all the parts "matching" for future collectors.

Again, JMHO.

Edited by DMark

..... otherwise she is a good example of an original 1903. About the only thing I'd want to do it it is have the metal parts re finished (I don't think its parkerized, its almost more like a blue or black finish)......

Be careful.  That finish on your 03 could be the original WWI era bluing or post WWI Springfield parkerization.

Up until WWII, the Armory put a black dye in the manganese parkerizing that produced a smooth dull dark-gray or black finish.  A lot of the early Garands will also have this black parkerizing and some folks will mistake it for the shiny "Greek Black" finish.

Is the barrel (1942) and receiver the same finish on your 1903?

Be careful.  That finish on your 03 could be the original WWI era bluing or post WWI Springfield parkerization.

Up until WWII, the Armory put a black dye in the manganese parkerizing that produced a smooth dull dark-gray or black finish.  A lot of the early Garands will also have this black parkerizing and some folks will mistake it for the shiny "Greek Black" finish.

Is the barrel (1942) and receiver the same finish on your 1903?

Yeah, the barrel and receiver have the same finish, but its got that dull dark gray or black finish you are describing. Its definitely not the same as the Garand's worn parkerized finish. 

Thanks for the opinions guys. For the record, I have no desire to sporterize either rifle. :puke: