I'd like to hear your opinions please

Links2k

While at one of my lgs this morning I discovered that they had two of the three .357 rifles that I wanted ( Henry and Uberti). The third rifle is the new Japanese Winchester that I have yet to see anywhere. Both are beautiful rifles, but the Uberti Special Sporting model offered a checkered walnut stock and fore-end, was color case hardened and cost about $400 more.

Which would you purchases and why? Edited by LINKS2K
What action are the Uberti's. Model 1873, 1892 etc. Winchester 1892's are excellent in 357. I like the 1892 action because it is butter smooth and locks up tight. The 1873 action must be popular in Cowboy Action Shoots because you see them quite often. Not has strong as the newer Browning actions but should be fine for the 357 mag. Have not shot a Uberti or Cimarron etc but they look excellent. the 357 is awesome through a lever action. A short barrel length would make a fine house gun. Check them out real close and buy once. I was at G&A a few weeks ago and their ticket prices are no tax if cash sale.

What action are the Uberti's. Model 1873, 1892 etc. Winchester 1892's are excellent in 357. I like the 1892 action because it is butter smooth and locks up tight. The 1873 action must be popular in Cowboy Action Shoots because you see them quite often. Not has strong as the newer Browning actions but should be fine for the 357 mag. Have not shot a Uberti or Cimarron etc but they look excellent. the 357 is awesome through a lever action. A short barrel length would make a fine house gun. Check them out real close and buy once. I was at G&A a few weeks ago and their ticket prices are no tax if cash sale.

Uberti 1873

G&A may be offering no tax payments thru christmas and they are now excepting any form of payment. Edited by LINKS2K

For this amount of money, I would get what "I" wanted.  Otherwise, you will always be curious.  Sometimes, I just buy the two competing models, to settle the dispute amongst myself.  That way I leave no room for unhappiness other than the bank account or wife.

• Like 1
G&A has a good selection. The "Short" rifle caught my eye as did the trapper. In the old Winchester's the octagon barrel was standard and the round barrels were an option. Now octagon barrels seem to be more popular. Go figure.

Link:  The "Japanese Winchester" thing caught my eye... In the long ago, Browning imported some absolutely beautiful winchester 92 action rifles in 44 mag and 357... They were all 16 inch carbines and were absolute works of art...We have one on the 44 mag carbines and it shoots like a dream.... My guess is that SKB built them for Browning.... If the Winchesters are built by SKB (...or whoever built the Brownings...); they will be a real rifle...  As to the others: ive not shot, but have handled the ubertis.... They are an excellent rifle....

Good luck,

leroy

• Like 1

Link:  The "Japanese Winchester" thing caught my eye... In the long ago, Browning imported some absolutely beautiful winchester 92 action rifles in 44 mag and 357... They were all 16 inch carbines and were absolute works of art...We have one on the 44 mag carbines and it shoots like a dream.... My guess is that SKB built them for Browning.... If the Winchesters are built by SKB (...or whoever built the Brownings...); they will be a real rifle...  As to the others: ive not shot, but have handled the ubertis.... They are an excellent rifle....

Good luck,

leroy

If the Japanese Winchesters are done in the same place as the Japanese Brownings, that's good stuff.

• Like 1

If the Japanese Winchesters are done in the same place as the Japanese Brownings, that's good stuff.

Everything that I've read says that they are well put together with a very smooth action. I may just put a deposit on a Winchester and wait. I am only planning to use it as a range gun, so there is no rush

Everything that I've read says that they are well put together with a very smooth action. I may just put a deposit on a Winchester and wait. I am only planning to use it as a range gun, so there is no rush

I have a Browning SA-22 and a Browning X Bolt. Both made in Japan, and both real high quality

Good luck,

leroy

A lot of the Japanese Winchester and Browning shotguns were and are made at the Miroku plant, and are of very high quality. I don't know whether the same company also manufactures rifles.

A lot of the Japanese Winchester and Browning shotguns were and are made at the Miroku plant, and are of very high quality. I don't know whether the same company also manufactures rifles.

They made the Browning limited run lever guns. All very high quality and hold their value well. Wonder if the current Winchester remake of the 1873 is made by Miroku?

Thanks!

I believe that the new Winchester is made by Miroku.

I have a Browning shotgun made there, and have never owned anything that surpassed the quality and workmanship of it.

Made in Japan turns a lot of people off, but I guarantee you the new 94s made there are vastly superior in every way to the last ones made in New Haven.

I have a Browning shotgun made there, and have never owned anything that surpassed the quality and workmanship of it.

Made in Japan turns a lot of people off, but I guarantee you the new 94s made there are vastly superior in every way to the last ones made in New Haven.

I'm not turned off. The problem is getting one. Even Guns and Ammo hasn't had one and they have almost everything.
Having the Miroku 16" 1892 Takedown (.45 Colt), I am biased towards it. As others have mentioned Miroku's have tight fitment and a rifle or shotgun with a tool mark likely rarely leaves the plant. Absolutely superb craftsmanship that many overlook.

This is what John Wayne would say over sending Winchester business to Japan:
rujuqudu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Facts are facts. Most post 64 Winchesters made at the New Haven plant were of sub standard quality. You can cheer U.S.A. all you want, but I want quality at a fair price. If we can't do that here, I'll go somewhere else.

• Like 1