2014 Off Season Support Group Deer Season Thread

Thanks! He is getting ground into burger tonight. Hope to put one more doe in the freezer before season ends. But if another buck like that walks by he is going down too.
My only restricion is no 4 points or smaller. I try to let them grow a bit bigger unless there is an apparent growth issue or injury.

^ Nice buck

I shot this one today:
B2CC05EB-2B60-4C22-A80F-550096A016AA-415

Rain quit about 7:30 and I left the rundown, critter infested, old house I holed up in and I went to slippin' through the woods. Eased out a ridge and peeked over the edge and saw a doe picking around on a little flat about 75yds below me. Hid behind a tree and glassed with the binoculars and could see another deer behind her. Waited a minute and he got clear, I leaned around the tree and a Federal Fusion .223 to the boiler room was all she wrote for him.

Fun hunt. I don't get to do it much but the wind and wet ground was right for it today.

Thanks to my Dad for teaching me how to slip around in the woods chasing squirrels.

Nice buck!  :up:

Went this morning, passed 4 does on the corner lot at 5:30 feeding. Sat until 9:00 and climbed down.

This afternoon, made it to the stand by about 1:30. Just after 4:00 I spotted my first buck while hunting this year. He was almost 150 yards away and I did not have a shot. I grunted and bleated at him, he would look up towards me and then go back to eating. I kept willing him to step about 10 feet to the right and clear the branches, and after 15 minutes he finally took a few steps.

It wasn't perfect, I had about an 8 inch window to place the shot...basically I missed but still got the buck. I was aiming at the top of his shoulder, should have went shoulder into his neck. At the shot all I saw was branches waving and thought I clipped one, he dropped so quickly I missed seeing it. But then I saw the legs kicking...Walked over there and found blood all over his head and neck. Once I started looking, I missed the shot but nailed him between the ear and antler base - kind of scrambled his brains.

20131215_164428.jpg

20131215_174112.jpg

In this picture you can make out the hole...Barnes Tipped Triple Shock 180 grain from my 30-06. I am not sure if I clipped a branch and got a lucky ricochet or if I pulled the shot.

Nice! :up:

I've never been hunting, but I've never seen a deer quite that big around here. 

There are some big dear around here.  This buck was killed two weeks ago in Davidson county about 5 minutes from my house.

[URL=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/kahrman/media/IMG_0847_zps51609e62.jpg.html]IMG_0847_zps51609e62.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

Man, it's drivin' me nuts not to be able to get out there in the evenin's, right now, durin' this full moon. The deer have been showin' up a lot around 4-4:30 pm but I have too much goin' on to get out there before Thurs., most likely. Saw nine does on the way to Ripley, tonight just before dark.

On a side note....my buddy in Covington saw one comin' home from work, tonight. Right across the front of his little white Toyota truck. I thought that little truck was gonna last forever but not anymore. Yep. Totaled it. At least he got a little meat from it and he didn't get hurt. Huntin'm with my truck used to be the way I got'm. At least that's what it seemed like. I've hit 3 and come close, at least, 25-30 other times includin' 3 ditch trips to avoid'm that caused a little damage, each time.

Man, it's drivin' me nuts not to be able to get out there in the evenin's, right now, durin' this full moon. The deer have been showin' up a lot around 4-4:30 pm but I have too much goin' on to get out there before Thurs., most likely. Saw nine does on the way to Ripley, tonight just before dark.

On a side note....my buddy in Covington saw one comin' home from work, tonight. Right across the front of his little white Toyota truck. I thought that little truck was gonna last forever but not anymore. Yep. Totaled it. At least he got a little meat from it and he didn't get hurt. Huntin'm with my truck used to be the way I got'm. At least that's what it seemed like. I've hit 3 and come close, at least, 25-30 other times includin' 3 ditch trips to avoid'm that caused a little damage, each time.

I dodged ONE deer and it will never happen again! Spent 3 weeks in the hospital and should have been dead but escaped with my left leg hanging on by a little skin and the right knee torn up pretty bad. My face busted the windshield out but all that earned me was a very light scratch along the hair line. As I spent the next months in a bed I decided that there was absolutely no way that hitting a deer (or 20 deer for that matter) could have been any worse than the 20"dia. cedar tree I ended up centered up on. 

Guest Bonedaddy

I hear the military has a cloak that might work. Wish I had one. I've often wondered if I could figger a way to make one of those emergency blanket not be so reflective where it isn't so shiny, ya know and see if it might still reflect enough of what's around me to kinda hide me. Kinda like a matte finished mirror. 'Course it would still be too noisy to move in.

Guest Bonedaddy

I dodged ONE deer and it will never happen again! Spent 3 weeks in the hospital and should have been dead but escaped with my left leg hanging on by a little skin and the right knee torn up pretty bad. My face busted the windshield out but all that earned me was a very light scratch along the hair line. As I spent the next months in a bed I decided that there was absolutely no way that hitting a deer (or 20 deer for that matter) could have been any worse than the 20"dia. cedar tree I ended up centered up on. 

Yea, trees have that effect on people, at times. I've been lucky in that everytime I hit one there was nothin' other than the deer to deal with, mostly. The first one, I almost started to dodge but I would've ended up barrel rollin' across a field after the 15 foot drop at the side of the road. I just finished puttin' a souped up Olds 350 Rocket and 400 Turbo in a 74 SWB Chevy that I jerked the ol' inline 6 and manual out of the week before and hammered down on it comin' outta town towards the house to see if I had the carb set where I wanted and had been doin' over 100 mph but let out to 'bout 80 when this damn 6 pointer jumped up on the road from the embankment. I caught'm with the left front and totaled that truck but didn't hurt the drive train, so I sold it for more Xmas money. The second, I just caught with the right fender and just dented it good. The third, it was so foggy that mornin' that I had to follow the fella in front of me no more than 20' back to even see his tail lights with another fella the same behind me, all pokin' along at 35 mph, yet I saw two deer run in front of him that he just missed then outta nowhere, two more ran between me and him. I missed the first but squared up on the second. Luckily, the fella behind me saw'm, too and was able to just miss me in the rear. Busted my grill and left headlight assembly and bent the bumper in (still like that, too I just kinda snapped the grill back together and I'm still drivin' it). That friend of mine, well he loaned another truck of his to his cousins, several years, ago, 'cause his cousin's truck was broke down, at the time. They were comin' back from Memphis, too when the ball joint broke on the right side, sendin' his 2 cousins head first into a big tree, killin' one and seriously injurin' the other. Nope. Trees and rides don't mix well.

Edited by Bonedaddy

Sounds like a mess! Even that time I wasn't willing to run off the road to miss the deer but as I swung into the other lane my drivers side front tire hung the edge of the pavement and when I tried to snatch it back, it jerked me further off the road and I hit the tree. The tree pretty much was in the road and as a matter of fact it was so close that as it had grown since the road had last been topped it had lifted the pavement up. The painted line actually was almost on edge from where the tree had grown. The county ended up cutting the tree down a few years later because of the ever increasing encroachment.

Dang. A tad hard to avoid one that close. Seemed like they woulda cut it down after it near tore your leg off. Gub'nit work...go figger.

Guess they were waiting to see if the impact would kill it off and save them the labor.... patient folks though.. gave it a few years to make up it's mind. The doc did a fair job piecing the leg and knee back together and believe it or not, it's now my good knee. The right one, between having a cadaver acl that is torn loose with a hunk of bone hanging on the end of it and me favoring it for years because of the ripping off of the left one has left it in awful poor condition. Fun stuff but i'm sure you can understand my firm stance on choosing an animal with some give to it rather than something that is grown in lol

Well this may be my last weekend to hunt.  I haven't been in the past 3 or 4 weeks now so I am looking forward to getting back out there.  I got a new camera for Christmas, so I may be shooting with my camera more than my rifle.  We'll see though!  I am taking my buddy with Muscular Dystrophy again so hopefully he can bag him a doe.  The hunt this afternoon will have 7 hunters on our property!  So if anything is moving, there will be backstraps in the freezer.  

• Like 1

Well this may be my last weekend to hunt.  I haven't been in the past 3 or 4 weeks now so I am looking forward to getting back out there.  I got a new camera for Christmas, so I may be shooting with my camera more than my rifle.  We'll see though!  I am taking my buddy with Muscular Dystrophy again so hopefully he can bag him a doe.  The hunt this afternoon will have 7 hunters on our property!  So if anything is moving, there will be backstraps in the freezer.  

That's awesome that you would give up your hunting to help a disabled hunter. You are a true Sportsman Sir! And a special friend to him...

Dave

• Like 2
Guest Bonedaddy

This sucks! Feel too bad today to go out there but I sho' wanna be bad. Just got this feelin' I'd bag another. Last time I went I slap missed a young 4 point buck not 45yds from me but I only had a hole of, maybe, a foot square to shoot through. Didn't see the other limbs in the way through my scope and I clipped one and completely missed his azz. Jumped'm 3 more times while stalkin'm but never got a shot and he finally bounded off into some really thick stuff, so I gave up. Right at 4pm the shots started goin' off and if everyone connected, I know there had to be a good 20 deer dropped fairly close to me. Sucks. I should have another deer in the freezer. Don't have the time or the energy today to go and have to help my daughter with her stuff in Mempho tomorrow. Hell, I done fo'got what day the season closes. I need one more deer, dangit!