2014 Off Season Support Group Deer Season Thread

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_2427_zpsf874903e.jpg.html]IMG_2427_zpsf874903e.jpg[/URL]

My oldest son killed this doe early this morning. It was at least a 250 yard shot, and it was dead right there. A good end to the season. My little one didn't want to get out of bed. Maybe next year.

• Like 5

IMG_2427_zpsf874903e.jpg

My oldest son killed this doe early this morning. It was at least a 250 yard shot, and it was dead right there. A good end to the season. My little one didn't want to get out of bed. Maybe next year.

Very nice Doe young man, Congrats!!! Nice purty rifle!

Dave

Edited by DaveS

IMG_2427_zpsf874903e.jpg

Congrats!! Nice job!

Well, yesterday was the excitement of the last youth season. I am fixin to tell you why :)

We got up this morning, the kids pumped and ready to go, and so was I. We ate protein bars and a banana each and hit the road. We spooked deer pulling in the driveway, sad for the adults, exciting for the kids. But it meant there were deer moving in the area, so I'll take it. We all get out, wish eachother luck and head to our spots. After sitting there from 5:40 till about 7:30, we hadn't seen anymore deer but heard a gunshot on the property next to us. The laughing begins now. My daughter says "Well, there go all the deer! They probably killed the last one!" LMAO! I said "Sugar, Daddy saw 15 of them the other day". To which she responded "WELL WHERE ARE THEY?!" Holy crap, she had me cracking up! I wasn't making a noise but my belly was shaking! About 8 she said she was freezing to death, that her whole body was frozen, and her feet didn't work anymore....again, more belly shaking from Daddy! We finally got down when I noticed she was literally shaking. We stalked a little while and headed back to the truck. My buddy and my nephew came out shortly thereafter and we headed home. We saw 5 deer on a neighboring property, 3 does, a big spike, and a nice 6 pointer. My daughter said "SHOOT IT DAD!" HA HA Wish I could have! Well, I love hunting, I love my daughter, and I love the experience and being able to share it with you guys here. I may have lost a pound or two laughing today, but dadgummit, what a day with my daughter!!!

• Like 3

Well, yesterday was the excitement of the last youth season. I am fixin to tell you why :)

We got up this morning, the kids pumped and ready to go, and so was I. We ate protein bars and a banana each and hit the road. We spooked deer pulling in the driveway, sad for the adults, exciting for the kids. But it meant there were deer moving in the area, so I'll take it. We all get out, wish eachother luck and head to our spots. After sitting there from 5:40 till about 7:30, we hadn't seen anymore deer but heard a gunshot on the property next to us. The laughing begins now. My daughter says "Well, there go all the deer! They probably killed the last one!" LMAO! I said "Sugar, Daddy saw 15 of them the other day". To which she responded "WELL WHERE ARE THEY?!" Holy crap, she had me cracking up! I wasn't making a noise but my belly was shaking! About 8 she said she was freezing to death, that her whole body was frozen, and her feet didn't work anymore....again, more belly shaking from Daddy! We finally got down when I noticed she was literally shaking. We stalked a little while and headed back to the truck. My buddy and my nephew came out shortly thereafter and we headed home. We saw 5 deer on a neighboring property, 3 does, a big spike, and a nice 6 pointer. My daughter said "SHOOT IT DAD!" HA HA Wish I could have! Well, I love hunting, I love my daughter, and I love the experience and being able to share it with you guys here. I may have lost a pound or two laughing today, but dadgummit, what a day with my daughter!!!

That's what it's all about. She won't remember what you got her for her birthday or how much money you made, but she'll remember the times you spent with her long after you are gone. :up:

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

IMG_2427_zpsf874903e.jpg

Congrats to your son.

Sounds like you have had a fun juvenile hunt even though no deer were taken and I guess the experience is what it's all about. I hope to have the time next year to get a few youngsters out for the juvenile hunts. 

• Like 1

Well I'm bringing this thread back until Wed. or Thurs. Another TGO member and myself have traveled to FL (we're staying with my grandparents and hunting land that my family settled way back when) to work some deer over and possibly some hogs if we're lucky. We got down here late last night and went out and hung stands for this morning. I saw nothing this morning and Tim had a doe sprint out of the woods, make a turn and never checked up. I took one this evening as we were headed in from the blind so we won't be coming home empty handed no matter how the rest of the trip goes. We'll hunt here tomorrow and again Monday morning before leaving to meet Tim's dad at a deer camp 45min - an hour east of here and hunt there until Thursday. My goal was to come home with at least 4 deer between the two of us so hopefully we'll meet and (fingers crossed) exceed that goal. Cell service was poor(actually non existent) and my cell battery was dead but i'll try to do better taking pictures of anything we a fortunate to take. 

There are hogs getting really close to my family's property but so far have only been spotted once on a trail cam so I figure as fast as they multiply we'll be seeing them with some sort of regularity in the next few years. My cousin has killed a few within 2-3 miles of here so they are awful close and part of me is excited to get the chance at them but the other part dreads it because of the damage they are responsible for. The place that we are headed to on Monday has hogs move through often but is not overrun with them so i'm hoping we get a chance to take a couple while we're there. 

• Like 3

Well I'm bringing this thread back until Wed. or Thurs. Another TGO member and myself have traveled to FL (we're staying with my grandparents and hunting land that my family settled way back when) to work some deer over and possibly some hogs if we're lucky. We got down here late last night and went out and hung stands for this morning. I saw nothing this morning and Tim had a doe sprint out of the woods, make a turn and never checked up. I took one this evening as we were headed in from the blind so we won't be coming home empty handed no matter how the rest of the trip goes. We'll hunt here tomorrow and again Monday morning before leaving to meet Tim's dad at a deer camp 45min - an hour east of here and hunt there until Thursday. My goal was to come home with at least 4 deer between the two of us so hopefully we'll meet and (fingers crossed) exceed that goal. Cell service was poor(actually non existent) and my cell battery was dead but i'll try to do better taking pictures of anything we a fortunate to take. 
 There are hogs getting really close to my family's property but so far have only been spotted once on a trail cam so I figure as fast as they multiply we'll be seeing them with some sort of regularity in the next few years. My cousin has killed a few within 2-3 miles of here so they are awful close and part of me is excited to get the chance at them but the other part dreads it because of the damage they are responsible for. The place that we are headed to on Monday has hogs move through often but is not overrun with them so i'm hoping we get a chance to take a couple while we're there.

I missed this thread, seems like season has been closed for months, not days. Thanks for bringing it back and good luck in FL!!!
  • Like 1

I missed this thread, seems like season has been closed for months, not days. Thanks for bringing it back and good luck in FL!!!

Thanks, I have internet here at my family's place but the camp we're going to doesn't have a residence on property so we'll be in a camper. Myaybe there will be enough cell service to update as we go and more importantly than cell service, here's hoping that there is something to update about  :x:

• Like 2

I got excited when this thread was bumped back up! haha I agree with Ruger...seems like the season has been closed for months already! I may need to start a "Pre 2014 Deer Season" thread to help us cope!

Hey there's nothing wrong with working ahead a little bit. Why put off today what you can do in 10 months :)

Well it was raining pretty hard this morning so the alarm got turned off and the eyes got re closed. We headed back out this afternoon at about 2 and saw nothing. Again when walking back to the truck we jumped a couple but they never showed themselves. Just stood there and blew at us. Tomorrow morning is our last chance here before we move east so I'm hoping for success.
  • Like 1

I got excited when this thread was bumped back up! haha I agree with Ruger...seems like the season has been closed for months already! I may need to start a "Pre 2014 Deer Season" thread to help us cope!

I sighted my rifle in today, kinda, if that counts. Lol
  • Like 1

I got excited when this thread was bumped back up! haha  I agree with Ruger...seems like the season has been closed for months already!  I may need to start a "Pre 2014 Deer Season" thread to help us cope! 

I put a "new to me" rifle in layaway in preparation for deer and hog hunting seasons ahead. My plans are to move to Florida in late spring or early summer. The timing all depends on how long it takes S/S on my disability. I will be moving somewhere between Pensacola and Crawfordville, preferably the Port St. Joe or Appalachicola (sp) area. That part of Florida is over run with hogs! I plan on getting settled in, lease some property, put out feeders with motion detector lights and invite some of my TGO Brothers down for what I will call "Hog Fest"!! Oh yeah, fishing invitations will run 24/7!!!

Since deer season never ends, just the deer harvesting part, what off season plans do y'all have? Slappy...start that new thread!

Dave

Dave

Edited by DaveS

I have been told I need a support group for hunting lol. Mainly from my wife! I told her I'm joining today lol.

Hi, my name is Joe and I am addicted to shooting and hunting and fishing...
Man I feel better!

Welcome Brother!
No shame in a little support Joe!

I'm sitting 25' up a Florida Oak tree overlooking a spot that the trail cam shows several bucks and several hogs frequenting. One looks to be 350+ pounds! The hog, not the deer ;)
Leave it up to me to stir the pot and cause a relapse.
  • Like 2

I have been told I need a support group for hunting lol. Mainly from my wife! I told her I'm joining today lol.

Hi, my name is Joe and I am addicted to shooting and hunting and fishing...
Man I feel better!

And my name is Dave and I'm more addicted than Wiljo05 to hunting, shooting and fishing. I missed a big buck this year...I need to borrow a "crying towel"....but I bet I don't miss him next year!!

Dave

• Like 1

I got my fix today by shooting my coyote AR, getting ready for LBL center fire season in a couple weeks. Gonna see if we can out do last years hunt and smoke at least 4 coyotes in a day.

There is a bunch of them there!

Dave

Since we all are having a hard time coping with our loss (the 2013 deer season) I am updating the thread to help us support each other in this off season! Page 22 starts the 2014 talk. If you find this weird, it's Dave's, Ruger's and Luke's fault. :-)

Well we had the Bow Season thread, we have the Muzzleloader thread and now its time for arguably the most highly anticipated day of the entire year, GUN SEASON!

So to those who have had to put up with all of us archers and muzzleloaders for the last few months, this is your time!

The Rut is on, the smokeless powder is coming out and there will be back straps in the freezers. Share your plans, your successes, your failures and ask your questions. For on Saturday...we hunt.

Why are you blaming me?? Oh, never mind....

Dave

• Like 1