new tv ???s

gomer pyle

i am looking for a new tv. i have 46 samsung lcd that i am happy with but i need another tv for upstairs. led or lcd? i know that i want 1080p. 60, 120, 240hz? i am thinking about a "cheaper" brand(vizio, etc..)

any insight? any recommendations?

we will mostly just watch tv on it, maybe play the wii

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on what you want to spend.

All LED TV's are technically LCD's. Some LCD's use CCFL backlighting, while others use LED backlighting. I prefer LED. 

As far as the Hz goes, you'll pay more for more. I don't think the average person really notices the difference between 60Hz, 120Hz, 240Hz, etc. while watching most programming. Again, it depends on what you want to spend.

I've done a ton of TV shopping as of late, and most of the more popular brands offer adequate TV's somewhere within their lineup. I am accustom to higher-end TV's, so it takes more to make me happy, but I don't think most people are as spoiled as myself. We were looking for a 39"-42", and I was able to find a handful in the $500 price range that I could live with. Sadly, out budget wasn't quite that high. I think I found a decent deal on an RCA from Walmart.com for $299, but I won't know for sure until it's delivered on Wednesday. Everywhere else is selling the same thing for $450-ish. It's for the bedroom, so I'm sure I can live with a less than stellar picture quality, no more that I'll be watching it. When I want a good picture, I'll go up to the bonus room.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

i have read the other thread but was unsure of the lcd vs led and the hz

i am thinking about going (for the first time) on black friday to wally world just to see

LED is the same technology as LCD. Only difference is LED lighting instead of fluorescence, and edge lit instead of back lit. I doubt you'll be able to even find an LCD, most everything is going to LED, as it should. LED is lighter, brighter, and more efficient. Your hz is going to be how fast the image refreshes on the screen. There is no difference between LCD and LED refresh rates. On a 46", you'd probably want a 120hz, but anything smaller you probably wouldn't notice a difference. Or you could get a plasma. I like them better, but I also appear to be one of the few consumers left that like plasma.

LED is the same technology as LCD. Only difference is LED lighting instead of fluorescence, and edge lit instead of back lit. I doubt you'll be able to even find an LCD, most everything is going to LED, as it should. LED is lighter, brighter, and more efficient. Your hz is going to be how fast the image refreshes on the screen. There is no difference between LCD and LED refresh rates. On a 46", you'd probably want a 120hz, but anything smaller you probably wouldn't notice a difference. Or you could get a plasma. I like them better, but I also appear to be one of the few consumers left that like plasma.

While sometimes not as bright as LED, Plasma generally offer a great picture quality, especially in a dark room. I think they handle motion better than a lot of the LED's. You can often get a bigger TV for the money, too.

Hey! Why aren't I looking more at Plasma TV's?  :biglol: 

For LED's, I prefer 60" Sharps.  We put these in our stores. I also have an 80" sharp LED at home that I absolutely love.  

60" LED Sharps can be had for about $1K on Amazon :)  I'll never go back to plasma and would only really recommend them if you are a gamer.  LCD ... Ehhh ... With the Price of LED's coming down, I'd skip old tech :)

While sometimes not as bright as LED, Plasma generally offer a great picture quality, especially in a dark room. I think they handle motion better than a lot of the LED's. You can often get a bigger TV for the money, too.

Hey! Why aren't I looking more at Plasma TV's?  :biglol: 

Seriously, man! Panasonic ST60 all the way!

i have not considered plasma. what are the pros/cons to them?

Don't ask a salesman...he will feed you BS. 

Pros:

Great color 

Accurate flesh tones

600hz refresh rate standard

Said to have a great viewing angle from any angle, even up to 178 degrees (don't know why you'd sit almost beside a tv, but whatever)

Cheaper than LED tvs in general

Deep black levels that LCD technology will never be able to match

Cons:

Heavier and bulkier than LEDs

Less effiecient than LEDs (Our 50" Panasonic S60 is rated at $28 per year, and our 60" Panasonic ST60 is rated at $38/year) 

^As a comparison, my buddy's 50" Samsung 6300 LED is rated at $13, and the Sharp Quattron Aquos 60" LED is rated at $28 per year if I remember correctly 

Image retention-commonly called "burn in," although that is an incorrect term. It's not as bad as it used to be since most plasma tvs nowadays have pixel orbiters that shift the picture constantly ever so slightly to keep a still image from retaining on the screen. Image retention is not as big as a problem as salesman and skeptics say it is. It's simple, don't leave a DVD menu up all night, and you'll be fine.

Glare can be a problem since plasmas have a glass screen. This can be solved for the most part by buying a plasma with a built in anti-reflection filter (think Panasonic ST60)

Plasma tvs are more fragile, and they can't be transported with the screen facing down

Overall, plasma tvs are a mixed bag. Salesmen at Best Buy won't try and sell you one because they make their money on LED tvs. I prefer them because I can control the light level in the rooms mine are in. I don't care if they cost more to run or they have thicker bezels...I care about picture quality, so I like plasma. That doesn't mean that LED tvs aren't good tvs, because they are. It just depends on what you want, and how you plan to use it.

Guest Lester Weevils
Maybe it is different in the big sizes of tv's, but it seems to me that led computer monitors have better longevity than flourescent backlightinng. Perhaps the drastically reduced heat in led monitors prevents the lcd screens from ageing so rapidly?

But TVs seem to last forever compared to computer monitors, dunno why.

I've run at least dual monitors on the puters for years, and every time a monitor goes belly up and gets replaced, the new one is so much brighter and better contrast than the older one, it is hard to adjust them so they even halfway match in color and brightness. The monitors just gradually fade with time and it isn't noticed until the shock of the picture difference when a new one is added to the pair.

The led monitors so far dont seem to fade so quick. Or maybe they are just getting better at making the lcd panels? Edited by Lester Weevils