Does anyone know what this rifle and shotgun are?

itw69fxst

I have a buddy with these two hanging on his wall - does anyone know what they are? The rifle has no markings that I could find anywhere. The shotgun has OCCIDENTAL and THE INTERCHANGABLE stamped on the sides.

They are in decent condition although the shotgun has a cracked stock. I was going to clean them up and restore them, but I do not want to damage their value if there is any value to be damaged.

Please let me know if you are aware of what these curious relics are - as always...I thank you much for your help.

Edited by itw69fxst

I will have to post pics somewhere else as it is not allowing me to post the pic in either JPG, BMP, or GIF format.

You can't attach them straight from computer, right?. Must use offsite storage and link.

Most here use PhotoBucket, I use my ISP space (Comcast):

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/56680-faq-how-do-i-post-pictures-here/

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I have a shotgun kinda like that. 

Its hard to get specifics on them. 

What I learned and which may or may not be true of yours but is an in-general type info spew:

- the barrel is wire wound, and dangerous to fire without a qualified inspection.  Unfortunate, as these guns are not valuable but often beautiful, so they would be great to shoot if not for the dangerous construction....   this is why most are wall hangers. 

- most were made in england, a few in other euro countries, and shipped here

- take the barrel off and you may find additional markings on the barrel underside.  It should just be 3 or 4 push pins to remove, very simple.  

- it is probably from the "neighborhood" of say 1850.  However I think yours is a later model, closer to 1900 than 1850, since it looks to break open rather than muzzle load.

- the proof marks from some time periods and some regions can be used to date the work, as the marks were official but changed now and then.

- it may have some shallow markings on the barrel, import marks, heavily worn text, or the like.  Look again?

- if you do not have many markings, you may never know much more than this....

The rifle, I can't see enough of the key parts to say much.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

I have a shotgun kinda like that. 

Its hard to get specifics on them. 

What I learned and which may or may not be true of yours but is an in-general type info spew:

- the barrel is wire wound, and dangerous to fire without a qualified inspection.  Unfortunate, as these guns are not valuable but often beautiful, so they would be great to shoot if not for the dangerous construction....   this is why most are wall hangers. 

- most were made in england, a few in other euro countries, and shipped here

- take the barrel off and you may find additional markings on the barrel underside.  It should just be 3 or 4 push pins to remove, very simple.  

- it is probably from the "neighborhood" of say 1850.  However I think yours is a later model, closer to 1900 than 1850, since it looks to break open rather than muzzle load.

- the proof marks from some time periods and some regions can be used to date the work, as the marks were official but changed now and then.

- it may have some shallow markings on the barrel, import marks, heavily worn text, or the like.  Look again?

- if you do not have many markings, you may never know much more than this....

The rifle, I can't see enough of the key parts to say much.

Thank you for that info - I will inspect the shotgun more closely the next time I visit. I will also take closer pics of the rifle and see if I can find any markings that I missed the first go round.

The rifle is a Remington rolling block or a copy. It could be a whole host of calibers.
To check the chamber move the hammer to half cock then pull the tab on the breechock to the rear. If it isn't rusted shut sould be fairly easy to do.
The rolling blocks were strong actions and used throughout the world.

The rifle is a Remington rolling block or a copy. It could be a whole host of calibers.
To check the chamber move the hammer to half cock then pull the tab on the breechock to the rear. If it isn't rusted shut sould be fairly easy to do.
The rolling blocks were strong actions and used throughout the world.

Thank you - I will check on that when I visit him next. I will also look more closely to see if I can find any faded stamps or info on the gun.

Remington rolling block. I'm guessing 7x57 caliber? Part of the wood is missing. How large is the bore?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Rolling_Block_rifle

Occidental-Belgian blackpowder shotgun. Circa late 1890's. Looks to be 12 gauge?

What, exactly were you wanting to know about them?

Edited by gregintenn