30-30 ammo must be really hard to find...

Steelharp

Yes. I believe that the 30-30 has killed more deer than any other cartridge, at least that's what I've been told. Seems that new hunters think that a) the 30-30 is mediocre beginner cartridge but it'll do till they get something bigger and better. Then, B) find that they are no better with something bigger, better, and more expensive than the little ol' 30-30 round.

Heck...even I got one. And I've never hunted.

If I came across a smokin' deal on one, I might buy it - and I already have a 30-30 that I honestly don't shoot very often.  Thing is, though, the one I have was my dad's and I don't want to get it all beat up, etc.  I love lever guns - probably because I mostly learned to shoot a rifle on dad's 30-30 when I was a kid.  I have a Henry in .22LR and a Marlin (microgroove) in .44 but still wouldn't mind having another 30-30, one with no sentimental value, to go along with dad's old (Marlin) Glenfield.  I'd rather have another pre-safety like dad's but could live with a safety.

My budget wouldn't allow for it - especially just as something that would mostly be a curio and 'toy' - but pairing a lever with one of these could make life interesting, I think:

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-3030-Win-Revolver-10-inch-Barrel.asp

Edited by JAB

No problems finding 30-30 ammo here in Middle TN.

I'm one of the guys with one for sale (on this site), but not my only 30-30.  I'll likely have one around as long as I have firearms.  Sidewinder indicated he hadn't seen any for $1,200 or more - but there are plenty of them out there.  Of course, most everyone reading this understands that 30-30 is a caliber, there are several desirable $1,200 and up platforms that fire this venerable cartridge. 

My first gun was an H&R Topper single shot. It came with both a 30-30 barrel and a 20 gauge shotgun barrel. I killed my first deer with it and still have it.

I also have a pre 64 Winchester 94 in 30-30. I intend to get a 99 Savage in 30-30, but so far, no dice.

I've bought and sold quite a few 30-30s over the years, and it is still among my favorite calibers.

The reason you see so many for sale is that there are millions upon millions of rifles out there chambered for that venerable round. I expect that with the recent rush on guns, many people are finding their gun cabinets crowded, and most everyone has a 30-30 stashed away in the back of the safe.

Yeah! Everybody needs one....................or three.

Winchester 94 Classic  1966

Marlin 336                     1975                    

Winchester 94 AE         1981

This got me wondering exactly how old mine was, I knew it was mid 70's because I still have Pappaw's receipt somewhere. Googled how to age them and it's a 1977. Pappaw never hunted with this particular Marlin 336, only sighted it in, and it sat in the gun case until I got it in 2001 when he died. Killed my first buck with it also, pretty awesome!!!

Oh, and in case anyone else doesn't know how to do it:

Take the first 2 numbers in the serial number and subtract those numbers from 100 and it will give you the date. Example , if your first 2 numbers are 24 your rifle was made in 1976. 

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1