AK caliber question

CQB Elite

I've been looking to buy my first AK type rifle and wanted to get your thoughts on caliber choice.

I know that 7.62x39 is the normal caliber but I've been seriously considering getting one in 5.56. My thought is this- I can buy one case of 5.56 and run it both in my AR and AK. That would help me logistically because I already have a case or more of 5.56 and wouldn't have to start trying to buy 7.62x39 just to go to the range.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Once that surplus 5.45 dries up, that caliber will be unobtainium.
Gets caliber...if you can buy enough to cover you for a loooong time.

If you're considering a 223 AK consider a Saiga. A Galil would be great, so long as Century's monkeys didn't screw it up.
  • Like 1
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at Arsenal AK and they have nice rifles in both caliber. I dont want to turn this into a "my AK is better than yours" thread. If I had the cash I'd buy one in each caliber, but I don't.

If you could only buy one which would it be?

Once that surplus 5.45 dries up, that caliber will be unobtainium.
Gets caliber...if you can buy enough to cover you for a loooong time.

If you're considering a 223 AK consider a Saiga. A Galil would be great, so long as Century's monkeys didn't screw it up.

Is the surplus 5.45 going to dry up? If so how soon do you think it will be?

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at Arsenal AK and they have nice rifles in both caliber. I dont want to turn this into a "my AK is better than yours" thread. If I had the cash I'd buy one in each caliber, but I don't.

If you could only buy one which would it be?

7.62x39-Ammo is easy to find. Less than 30cents per round. Good stuff is is 50cents+ per round. You can reload but the Russian ammo is cheaper unless you cast for it. Mags are $10-20 each.

5.45x39-Ammo is 18cents per round for surplus. Will it dry up, probly but who knows when. But with as many 5.45 guns are out there someone will likely start producing ammo for it. Of course it will be more expensive. More accurate than 7.62, mags can be harder to find and expensive unless you run tapcos.

5.56x45-You know how much ammo cost and you wont have to buy a new caliber. I think mags are harder to find and more expensive. But you could get an AR magwell adapter and use your AR mags. Not sure how reliable the adapters are.

7.62x39-Ammo is easy to find. Less than 30cents per round. Good stuff is is 50cents+ per round. You can reload but the Russian ammo is cheaper unless you cast for it. Mags are $10-20 each.

5.45x39-Ammo is 18cents per round for surplus. Will it dry up, probly but who knows when. But with as many 5.45 guns are out there someone will likely start producing ammo for it. Of course it will be more expensive. More accurate than 7.62, mags can be harder to find and expensive unless you run tapcos.

5.56x45-You know how much ammo cost and you wont have to buy a new caliber. I think mags are harder to find and more expensive. But you could get an AR magwell adapter and use your AR mags. Not sure how reliable the adapters are.

Thats the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks!

As mentioned anything other than 7.62x39 is going to come with expensive mags. That's a big reason I recently sold my 223 Saiga. For 223/5.56 or 5.45 you'll be paying $30 per magazine. For 7.62 check out the Zastava O-pap. Aim surplus is selling them at a good price.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
An AK47 will make an excellent compliment to the 223 AR. Good CQB choice especially in brush or around barriers etc. 30 caliber a plus. The Ak74 has been mostly popular due to cheap surplus ammo. And a lot of it has been corrosive ammo.
  • Like 1

An AK47 will make an excellent compliment to the 223 AR. Good CQB choice especially in brush or around barriers etc. 30 caliber a plus. The Ak74 has been mostly popular due to cheap surplus ammo. And a lot of it has been corrosive ammo.

This is what I knew all along, guess I was just trying to go against my gut...

It's not a bad problem at all to stock 7.62 and 5.56. I had a few 5.45 AKs, and they were a hoot to shoot. I shouldn't have got out of the 5.45 game, but now I can focus solely on my 7.62 stuff. 

Check out the Arsenal SLR-107FR:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/arsenal-slr-107fr-7-62x39mm-side-folding-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

Here's the deal:

7.62x39 : - most popular - plentiful cheap mags ($10-20) both corrosive and non corrosive ammo choices - cost per round 25 cents and up

5.45x39 : still new to lots of folks but gaining popularity. currently limited to corrosive surplus ammo and very cheap 18cents! Mags are $25 and up depending on country and collectability
Current soviet caliber so drying up is only if an import ban occurs. But if that happens its the same issue for the cheap 7.62x39 ammo

.223 : mags hard to find and expensive. Mag needed will vary by type of rifle. There is no standard. Resale is more difficult