Review: Chiappa (ATI) m4-22 upper

morrisster

I "pulled the trigger" on one of these the other day because when I saw the price from CDNN I felt like an idiot passing on it. $239 plus 9.99 shipping, and it was here in 2 days.

I've read the mixed reviews on these just like everyone else so I was a little skeptical. But again, for the price, it was a great deal.

I had some spare parts lying around that I used to throw an extra lower together with - Ive always wanted a dedicated 22 in an AR platform. The fit of the upper was snug. The front pin was no problem but I had to push down firmly to get the rear pin in. No slop. That's good.

A few observations: yes the front sight was canted to the left - an easy fix with an Allen wrench. No reason to complain, especially since I planned on just using a red dot on it. Oh, and the barrel nut is hand tight... But it's a 22... Snug it up and readjust the hand guard angle... Again, no big deal.

I put a primary arms micro dot on the rail and was ready to go. The manual suggests 100-150 round break in period. I used federal lightning that I picked up at my LGS for the first 100 rounds.

The 2nd round was a FTF. From the magazine not being loaded properly. There is a little extra room in the factory mag for rounds to side stack slightly. This caused them to not stay pointing up. Just pay attention when loading to make sure not to pull too far down on the loading assist button which causes the rounds to drop. (That doesn't make a lot of sense Unless you're sitting here looking at it but if You are than it does. Sorry.

The next 398 rounds went off more or less without a hitch. Some FTE (4 total) caused by holding the trigger down after firing and not releasing. Not sure why that happens, but I it fires and you let the trigger return, there was never an issue. Once I figured that out, it was ripping through whole mags without a hiccup.

I'd say it was the most fun I've had for the money with a gun in a long time. And I like that I can afford to shoot all afternoon with it. Accuracy was only tested on a 25 yard range - my buddy's back yard. I hit the little metal spinner target every time... Good enough for me. I'd say its more accurate than I am.

The one thing that drives me nuts is the bolt hold open is activated by the magazine. The bolt catch doesn't work. It makes clearing a jam a 3 handed operation...

Worth $250? I'd probably just buy another 10/22 if I had $250 burning a hole in my pocket... That being said though, it was nice to be in the drivers seat of an AR platform for several hours and only spend like $30 in ammo.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth $250? I'd probably just buy another 10/22 if I had $250 burning a hole in my pocket... That being said though, it was nice to be in the drivers seat of an AR platform for several hours and only spend like $30 in ammo.

After several different .22 AR's, that is exactly the conclusion I have made. I still have 2 that I couldn't possibly recover what I have invested but I find myself ONLY shooting my 10/22's.

I had the Chiappa M4 upper. It took about 150 rounds to break in. What I loved about it was I can swap out the uppers and still use the 

same lower so it allows me to practice shooting using .22's while using the same exact trigger assembly. Perfect for AR competition practice at 1/4 the price.

Mine came with 2-30 round mags that are a little sloppy when stick fresh ammo in but they cycle well. 

The big difference between the Chiappa and those AR .22 inserts is the twist rate. The Chiappa has the nominal 1 in 16 test while the bore and twist of a .223 is quite a bit different 

so you will find the inserts aren't very accurate. 

All in all a good value depending on your needs. Personally, I prefer accuracy over plinking guns like 10/22's. I've owned a few over there years going back to the early '70's.

They're fun for shooting up coke cans but I'm getting too old for the tacticool add ons and gave my last one away years ago to a nephew. 

Since I don't shoot AR comp anymore I got rid of the Chiappa along with the AR.

Hope this helps.

Lp

The accuracy problems with inserts is not the twist rate or the bore size. It is the fact the inserts swage the bullets down to .221". If you open the inserts to allow the bullets to be .224" then they are a lot more accurate. Most 22 bullets run .224"-.225" so they will work fine in a .224" bore. But the .221" of the swaged bullets causes accuracy problems.

Here is some explanations:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/49124-why-your-ar-conversion-wont-shoot-accurately