Trophy Hunter Attacked By Animal...Lovers

Are they mad because the hunter kills wild animals for sport or is it because she's a woman with a pink rifle? While it's against my nature to snuff these creatures just for fun, the woman did take a moose's backstrap for supper. And if it's tasty, she probably gave the lion's meat to the South African community. But why kill animals when you can get meat at a grocery store?  :yum:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/16/trophy-hunter-enrages-internet-after-posting-picture-of-slain-lion-online/

Edited by gun sane

I am not a PETA person and I think to each its own but I really hate seeing those hunts...

I for one think they should not be allowed on lions, and any other large cats.. Zebras and other hoofed animals.. yes.. but not large cats..

Depends on if it's necessary for population control. If it is, hunting probably isn't the worst way to get it done. I don't know a lot about it though. Trophy hunting isn't on my bucket list.

I am a hunter but don't hunt animals that I don't care to eat. I did stalk a mountain lion in southwest TX for about a month at my cousins hunting camp when I lived down there. The want to kill him/her was to help with the hunting. We fed her very well for several years with our leftovers. Then we got to finding leftovers from deer we didn't kill. I tracked and never saw her and might be glad. Posted Image

JTM
We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

Why shouldn't she kill a lion or other big cat? As long as its not endangered I don't see the problem. The lion was killed in SA correct? I absolutely guarantee none of that meat went to waste.

A friend of mine posted the following link on Facebook a few weeks ago raging about how awful these people were.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/more-sports/outdoors/20131030-dallas-safari-club-auction-of-black-rhino-hunt-draws-praise-criticism.ece

I asked if he even read the article.... no response.
  • Like 1

This is a result of liberals and wussified beta males who are offended by anyone doing anything for themselves.  People who don't hunt, don't understand.  They think we are just out for blood and that we kill things for the fun of it.  While that may be true for SOME hunters, that is no where close to most.  Most of the hunters I know, honor and respect the animals in both life and death.  How is hunting anymore brutal than herding pen raised cattle through a tightening tunnel only to be shot or electrocuted?  

How is the lion any different than any other animal she has killed?  It wasn't endangered, it wasn't illegal, it has 4 legs and a beating heart like everything else, but somehow because its a lion everyone is in an uproar (pun intended).  Also, African Safari hunts aren't cheap. I bet it cost her a MINIMUM of $50,000 US dollars for that lion.  That money goes to the local communities and helps to provide for those impoverished Africans, oh and she cant bring that meat back, the locals will eat every bit of it.  Their livelihood depends on rich outsiders coming to hunt their animals.  

My family has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on land and improvements to the land to help out the quality of our herd.  Part of having a healthy heard is also eliminating some of it. This is not wasteful eliminating.  I killed a doe last week that I didn't need.  So I gave it to some Mexicans building a house and they were thrilled.  

This wont make a lick of sense to anyone who is not a hunter, but I feel remorse and sadness for every animal I kill.  I also feel much joy in knowing that it will provide for me or someone else.  

I bet many of these people who are so offended that she killed a lion probably have no problems having a baby aborted. Yep, I went there.  But its true.   

• Like 2

Ok, folks. Huddle up. If you want to save the lion from extinction you must allow them to be hunted.

African tribals HATE lions with a deep and burning passion. Lions prey on cattle and cattle are wealth, status and food for these people.

Without the economic incentive to keep them alive that is provided by hunting, the lion would quickly disappear from all but a few parks.

It seems a touch counter intuitive, but lion hunters pour huge amounts of money into those communities providing an economic incentive to keep the lions around.

Don't believe me? Maybe you'll take this guys opinion a little more seriously... he's the Director of Wildlife for Tanzania:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/opinion/saving-lions-by-killing-them.html?_r=0

Hunting and conservation go hand in hand.

Well, what do I know? ... not much, but having been there and seen the lions, being a life-long avid hunter who is in awe of the majesty of all animals, I do not care for trophy hunting.  Species-benefiting population control?  Sure.

"Look at me, I bagged a Diamond-Toothed Speed-Sloth!"   ?  ...     Nope, not so much.

What we have here is what I call a "social bleed".  We each get used to our own social group - our norms, and when we put some of the more unique identifiers of our social group out for the world to see,.... presto, we have bled through the fabric - and been found unpresentable by another group.  It is a unique risk that has grown as the number of personal connections in media has exploded.

For what it is worth, anywhere hunting is used for population control of non-game animals, I would want to see some pretty solid research to back it up, and a political appointee will not be who I want to hear it from.  Wild lions.. and all of the wild, large predators on that continent (as well as Asia) are in danger, period.  I don't know what can realistically be done to stop their looming extinction in the wild.  I hope somebody does.

That is exactly my point Peace. Lions and other predators are not endangered by hunters, but by poachers and / or farmers who kill them to protect their livestock. When hunting is allowed and (according to my PH) 70% of the trophy fee (50k and up for a maned lion) goes to the locals then you can bet the locals will protect those animals from other farmers and poachers alike. 

Also, lion hunting is massively regulated. Any reputable operation will only hunt older lions that are no longer breeding.

So, if hunting lions doesn't harm their breeding populations and in fact provides an economic incentive to expand and maintain their habitat... well I don't understand the objections. I can't accept an emotional argument that hunting these noble beasts is wrong. It's not, these hunters do more than anyone to conserve the lion population.

If you don't buy the article above, then look at what's happened to elephant populations. In countries like Namibia where they are hunted, the populations have grown and dramatically expanded. There is an economic incentive to let these terribly destructive animals live and flourish. Namibia welcomes hunters and it's wildlife prospers because of the money pouring in. Drive through the country side and you'll see game animals everywhere. Contrast this with countries like Kenya that banned all hunting. Now you can't find game in Kenya except in a few protected parks. 

Again, this is counter intuitive, but it's a very straight forward proposition: Trophy hunting, conducted responsibly and in accordance with the law, fosters conservation. 

• Like 1

Sure - I don't disagree with you or doubt you.  I am obviously not someone who is going to kill for sport, and I hope those wildlife management practices prove effective and sustainable.  My ignorance prevents me from saying much else.

I am against trophy hunting, eat it or leave it alone is my take on it.  That said, a *few* rogue, hostile trophy animals have to be eliminated due to posing a threat to people. 

In the grand scheme, the few killed by hunters pale beside the what, 40k elephants poached last year?   The hunters do it legit, at least. 

So while I am personally against it, I won't yell too loudly about it as there are FAR worse things going on that need to be dealt with.

If it is to keep the population in check I have no problems with someone doing it. I don't think I'd do it. I knew a family with a farm that wanted me to shoot the deer because, (and I don't know or care if this is BS or not), the deer chased their cows. Even though the ranges and movement would be good practice in the event that I needed to take the shot as a police sniper, I refused to kill something that I wouldn't eat.

Oh, those animals get eaten... every last scrap of them... and I mean... every. last. scrap.

I saw a bull elephant reduced down to steaks for 15 or 20 villages in the course of four hours. By the time they were done there was nothing left but a patch of red grass.

The bones are reduced to bone meal to fertilize the gardens and even inedible bits like hooves (in the case of antelope) are saved... for gelatin I guess... it wasn't made clear. Everything is used.

To be clear, the vast majority of my hunting is for food... but I do love, love, love a good African safari. I can understand folks aversion to it, but it is an adventure like nothing else in this world.

When conducted ethically under fair chase conditions, the results are a positive net good for the locals, for conservation purposes and it provides a great vacation for me.

• Like 1