Academy Sports upset me a bit yesterday

It seems Academy also has a few people working there that do not know a flipping thing about guns..

How can they give advice to people who don't know anything yet either about guns but rely upon these assclowns to give them some.. Its sad and dangerous

I’d say you will see that happen anywhere that’s not a gun shop; and even in some gun shops. They can’t hire knowledgeable people so they put them in there and make their own. Then they find a better job and it starts over.

I’ve had the person with the Keys at Wal-Mart tell me “If you know what you want I will get it for you; but I don’t know anything about guns or ammunition.” Fine with me, at least they are honest; I know what I want or I wouldn’t be in Wal-Mart.

Academy is a step above Wal-Mart when it comes to guns, but I wouldn’t call it a big step.biggrin.gif

Its retail sales; these people get moved from one department to the next and I think most of them do the best they can.

I've had a few experiences with customer-ignorance at Academy Sports before too but also see it in a lot of other places. I also do as you did and complain to the management, local and corporate. It doesn't keep me from shopping there but I'll give second thoughts to if I want to leave any money there.

But, I've always had a good experience at Firehouse Subs and after finding the free coupon below I also had a good experience at Penn Station. Neither have ammo but do have a good sandwich.  :yum:

http://www.penn-station.com/nashville/dsignupf.php?gclid=CJ6hkuqo57oCFeHm7AodmBUA5Q

So, have a free sub  :wave:

• Like 2

Good store, but some of their employees are just like described here. Not all of em of course. But I've experienced it. It's the same everywhere though I suppose.

That's true, but I find that to be the case at many retail stores. I'm the type that does my research before I step foot in the store, so I am able to limit my interaction with the employees.

Sorry would rather beg on a street corner than work for Walmart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm glad that Walmart was there for my family when I suddenly became unemployed. They hired me and allowed me to be able to bring home income. I was then able to look my wife and 3 young daughters in the eye and know that I was able to put food on the table and a roof over their head.

Obviously you don't have a family that depends on you, or you would have never made a statement like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

This complaint is really my only major complaint with Academy because I have seen it and have been through the exact same thing numerous times. And it isnt just one Academy, its all of the Academy's that I have used, at least 5 or 6. After about 7 the crowds on a weekday are usually not that large at the counters and Academy is one of those stores that always has enough counters open so your not waiting, at least not long. But you call, ask for the gun counter, phone rings then rings back to the front, they answer again and around and around you go. Maybe once every dozen times I call can I get someone that can answer a question. 

I don't even bother any longer, not worth the hassle and just ride on over. So I do know that what Dolomite says is entirely the truth, seen it a million times. 

As far as the lack of knowledge on the gun counter. I know this may sound stupid, but those young guys working there seem to know a 1000 times more than the older guys, I have no idea why that appears to be the case, but if I ask one of those 20 something year old salesman something, I always seem to get an honest CORRECT answer and knowledgeable help if I don't know something but if I ask one of the older guys something, seems like they either don't know or I'm bothering them even though I give Academy a lot of business at the same counters. The younger guys always remember who I am, the older guys treat me like its the first time I ever bought a gun or walked into a gun store.

Dont ask me, just seems that way. 

The younger guys always remember who I am, the older guys treat me like its the first time I ever bought a gun or walked into a gun store.

Dont ask me, just seems that way.

Because they slept since the last time they saw you. You will understand that in a few more years. But then you will forget.
Guest TankerHC

Because they slept since the last time they saw you. You will understand that in a few more years. But then you will forget.

Im 50, those guys arent that much older than me. Hope your wrong but I FEAR your right. 

Eh, my advice is to never trust the guy that is selling you a gun, unless you KNOW the person pretty well.   Even then, you better check it out yourself first.  Gun shop or a store that has a couple of guns in the back, does not matter,  even at a gun show.   It breaks down something like this...

guy does not know what he is talking about: 50% chance

guy knows a little but screws up minor details:  25% chance

guy is shady, and is willing to lie to sell the gun: 20% chance

guy is actually honest and knowledgeable:  5% chance 

so odds are not in your favor of having a good experience if you go in trusting the guy trying to sell you stuff.   Actually, this is true about almost anything, its not gun specific...

Guest Bonedaddy

No Academy 'round here but that doesn't matter. If I get that kinda treatment in a retail store, or any place for that matter, they and everyone in the store is gonna hear my rant. If the manager don't have the sack to chew butt, while I'm there, then I'll do it for'm. My money and my time is more valueable, now, than it ever was in my life and I don't take that kinda BS lightly. There are far more places to buy from, even if it costs me a little more or I have to put it together myself. I got no problem abandoning a business over bad treatment or letting the world know why. JMHO. YMMV.

Personally, I would have asked the customer service rep to send a manager to the gun counter to meet you, and then very firmly explained the situation to the manager right in front of the employees.

I was in the Smyrna Academy Sports just last Friday evening. I noticed that the average employee appeared to be young, and at least half of them were standing around talking to each other. Some where obviously hiding themselves from managerial view while doing so. Large stores require a larger managerial force to manage it.

Probably the only effective way to deal with this type of laziness would be to randomly choose one of the slackers and immediately fire him.  The modern employment equivalent of Roman decimation.  That might get the attention of the others for a while.  And assuming that the girl who did answer the phone was never part of the slacker group, she should be commended because she might have being doing actual work somewhere and rushed to do the job of one her co-workers also.

If I had loads of free time and this had happened to me, I might come again on the same night, same time the next week and see if they had fixed the problem.  Only this time film it for the manager.

Probably the only effective way to deal with this type of laziness would be to randomly choose one of the slackers and immediately fire him. The modern employment equivalent of Roman decimation.

Oh how I wish it was that easy!! "At will" is a one way street.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD