Caribbean Food

KahrMan

Does anybody know of good caribbean style restaurants in middle Tennessee?  

One of my favorites is Jamaicaway at the Farmers Market.  I had them cater a company lunch today.  Spicy Jerk Chicken, Mango Chutney Chicken, Rice-n-peas, pineappled sweet potatoes…man that was a good lunch.  They also make an excellent curried goat.

Anybody else have a favorite caribbean place they eat?

Jamaicaway is the best around. The Cuova Calypso Cafe places are good too. They have a surprisingly good burger. For fast food Caribbean, there's a new place in Cool Springs called Pollo Tropical. It's across the street from the Dick's/Kroger shopping center. Same side of the road as Academy.

That's Jamaican food, if you want Cuban food, Back to Cuba off Harding Place going towards I65 has killer cuba food (my cuba friend approves). There's a hole in the wall (resides in a gas station on the left) on Old Hickory Blvd heading towards Nolensville road that sells Puerto Rican Food. Now, My favorite (i'm a little biased being Dominican) and if you don't mind a drive to clarksville, there's a place off tiny town road that sells Dominican Food (That's Dominican Republic, not Dominica). 

Pollo Tropical is good, but it's a chain. 

Edited by Joseg
  • Like 1
JoseG named all my spots! I grew up in Miami spending half my time at my best friend's place. His family is Dominican and his Mom loves to cook and loves me! Even now when she finds out I'm comjng home for a visit she stops by with trays of my favorites: chic peas and rice, plantains, stewed chicken, these amazing little steaks, and some AMAZING homemade garlic/cilantro/creamy salad dressing!

The lady that cleaned our house was Jamaican and our families were really good friends. They'd come over for pool/boat parties and she would make jerk chicken, curry goat, and the most amazing roti!!

My Dad's construction company was in the heart of Hialeah (read: Cuba) and there are some mind-blowingly incredible little cafés all around there. Back to Cuba gets pretty close. The Mariquitas are the best thing in the world!!! I was super disappointed last week when I ordered some and was told they were out. Big sad face. Their churrasco (flank steak w/chimichurri sauce) is really good, and their tostones (fried plaintains) are worth getting, if not just to dip in the black beans!!

Pollo Tropical is like the Wendy's of the Hispanic/Carribean nations. I feel their food is definitely of a higher quality than the other fast food joints. They've changed the menu a bit for the Southerners up here. They don't serve mashed potatoes or quesadillas (that's Mexican food!) in South Florida! I live 1.3 miles from the Smyrna location and go every couple weeks. I was so stoked when they opened, though! I ate lunch AND dinner there on opening day, and then once a day for the first 5 days! Wifey and I can eat BETTER food there for less money than Wendy's, Zaxby's, or Chick-Fil-A. Oh, and they have Mango sweet tea!
Back to Cuba is the only one around here that I've gotten a chance to try. I was real upset one Monday a few months ago when I took my daughter and they were closed.

There's a hole in the wall (resides in a gas station on the left) on Old Hickory Blvd heading towards Nolensville road that sells Puerto Rican Food.

How's their mofongo? I could live off that stuff if done well.

Their mofongo is okay, it's more of a traditional Puerto Rican food, so it's okay I guess for me. Dominicans usually don't make that so it's not a common thing for me.. Either way, there's this other place Guantanamera off Nolensville rd by the zoo, it's got a mixture of cuban, venezuelan, colombian, peru dishes.. 

I'll be honest, it's worth the drive to clarksville for me, except the drive back, usually stuffed from the good food..