Taurus 9mm carbine???

Steelharp

• Admin Team

Mind you, Tiffany doesn't look like she weighs 100lbs. with her boots on, but that thing is a lot bulkier in person than I expected from the pictures - and not in a good way.

There appear to be a couple of quality issues that present themselves right away.  I don't like the plastic picatinny rail.  It also doesn't look like the threads for the rail inserts are anything but plastic. 

I'm sure they'll do a hi-cap mag at some point, so that issue will likely become moot - but who knows when that's going to happen.

At almost $700 - assuming their online price is accurate, there are a lot of other weapons in a more proven platform that I'd consider.  A Beretta PX4 Storm can't be too much more than that.  If you're going to go with a 16" barrel and not SBR it, you could probably build a DDLES or Lonewolf pistol caliber carbine for that kind of money, too.

10 round proprietary mags? Not the best format in my opinion. I'd heard this was going to be the case, but hoped it wasn't so. Still looks as if the Beretta is the best way to go with the pistol caliber carbine.

At almost $700 - assuming their online price is accurate, there are a lot of other weapons in a more proven platform that I'd consider.  A Beretta PX4 Storm can't be too much more than that.  If you're going to go with a 16" barrel and not SBR it, you could probably build a DDLES or Lonewolf pistol caliber carbine for that kind of money, too.

Sorry, no owner impression, here.  Honestly, when I first saw in one of the gun rags that Taurus was going to do a 9mm carbine, I kind of eagerly flipped over to read the article.  The wind was taken out of my sails by the '10 round proprietary mag' statement.  My thought was, "Well, then, it has zero benefit over my Hi Point 9mm carbine that has been 100% reliable and also uses 10 round, proprietary mags.  At least Hi Point carbine mags are, supposedly, compatible with their handguns (but not vice versa - the handgun mags don't work in the carbine.)"

Then I saw the projected price tag and thought, "Okay, so now the Hi Point has an obvious advantage over the Taurus.  Price."  I see nothing about the Taurus that would make its end user value worth any more than the Hi Point, to me, much less more than double the price.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 4
It looks like a neat gun and all but not for more than about $500.00 IMO.

It does look a bit bulky, wonder why? I mean beyond the obvious "it looks bulky because it is". But wonder what's going on "under the hood" to necessitate it?

Anyway I think I'll pass, too many good options out there already between a pistol caliber AR, HiPoint, and the Ruger and Marlin carbines. Plus I guess I just don't need another since I got a Sub2K awhile back.
  • 2 weeks later...

....  At least Hi Point carbine mags are, supposedly, compatible with their handguns (but not vice versa - the handgun mags don't work in the carbine.)"

Standard 8 round HP C9 handgun mags are too short to lock into the 9mm carbine (carbine ones work in the pistol), but I believe the .40 and .45 mags fit both.

- OS

I'm okay with the Bull's guns--I even own a couple--but I think Taurus missed the boat here, if not for the simple reason that their offering is little more than an economy Hi-Point carbine in capacity and performance.  I don't knock the pistol-rifle caliber combos.  They make a perfect looter/meth head repellant since you don't need 30 pops to make them change their minds.  I've got the HP .40 for the aforementioned purpose, and it fills the need for a short-range deer getter with more pep than the 9mm. 

I too was excited at first about this when I saw it at the first of the year. But I have a Hipoint carbine in 9mm, and if I wanted to spend that kind of money on one I'd get into a Just Right Carbine and use Glock mags and a familiar AR platform. Edited by KKing

The 10 round mag is annoying but understandable.  I'm betting it was a requirement for import purposes.  But they could have made it for one of their existing magazine styles for like the 24/7 and neutered the mag that came with it.  Then with a wink and a nod we could all put higher cap mags in place.  The weight, the balance and the crappy sights though - that's just silly.  For that much weight I'd rather have a Ruger PC9.   I'll stick with my Hi Point carbine for now.

• Admin Team

Not to derail, but since the CX4 Storm was mentioned here has anyone shot one? I am intrigued with what I see on their site.

I've shot a suppressed variant in .45acp. 

It was a nice shooting rifle.  Seems like it was still kind of limited in capacity, though.