Opinions on the Heritage .22/.22 mag

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC
Someone wants one for a Christmas present. I had been considering one for myself for about the last 3 or 4 year's. Kept putting it off, three years ago could have had one for $99, today $189 everywhere I look.

Opinions? The good, the Bad and the ugly please.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I like mine.  I don't completely understand the 'drop out cylinder' comment above - you only have to drop the cylinder out if you want to change from WMR to LR or vice versa.  The Heritage loads/unloads via a loading gate - no need to pull the cylinder.

These are not high-dollar, safe queen, heirloom guns.  They are guns that are intended to be shot for fun.  I belong to the Heritage forum and overall owner opinions seem positive.  Sometimes one of them might come from the factory with the sights a bit off - and the traditional way for addressing that is to bend the front sight a little to the right or left (for windage) or file a bit off of it (for elevation if it is shooting low.)  Of course, some models are available with factory adjustable rear sights but they are going to cost a little more.  Also, most of the time when you see the $99 special on them (at Academy, for instance) those are the LR only models.  I will say that I haven't had the LR cylinder in mine for over two years - I have other LR pistols and I think the Heritage is just more fun with the WMR cylinder, although shooting LR through them is fun, too.

As for accuracy, I love, love, LOVE posting this picture because

A. it is some of my best handgun shooting ever and

B. it proves that across the board 'Heritage Rough RIders aren't accurate' statements are nonsense

I first put up and shot at this target at 100 yards with the Heritage as more of a lark than anything.  I had been consistently 'pinging' some swinging metal targets that the range had up at fifty yards so I thought I'd try a paper target at 100 yards just for grins.  I don't shoot well from a rest (never shot from a rest much and I find it awkward to do so, now) so all of these shots were taken from a standing, off-hand position shooting two-handed in more or less a Weaver stance.  After seeing I had actually hit the paper a couple of times from the first cylinder full, I decided to try and 'dial in' on getting better hits just going by memory of where I had put the sights when firing the previous cylinder full.  On the second cylinder, I overcompensated for elevation but got the windage about right.  I think my results from the third cylinder weren't too bad, at all, for an inexpensive, rimfire revolver with a 6.5 inch barrel and open sights (for me, anyhow - I am not that great a shot, fair I suppose but not great.)  It was fairly warm that day with little to no wind and we had no spotting scope so I was walking the 100 yards out and back to check the target after every cylinder full so I stopped after three cylinders full.  If I had kept at it, I think I could have gotten some pretty good results.  Certainly the gun is more accurate than I am.  Having not shot nearly as much, lately, due to the ammo nonsense I am not sure that I could even repeat these meager results, now.

Target3-22Mag100yards.jpg

Edited by JAB
Guest TankerHC

[quote name="JAB" post="1063682" timestamp="1384447531"] I like mine. I don't completely understand the 'drop out cylinder' comment above - you only have to drop the cylinder out if you want to change from WMR to LR or vice versa. The Heritage loads/unloads via a loading gate - no need to pull the cylinder. These are not high-dollar, safe queen, heirloom guns. They are guns that are intended to be shot for fun. I belong to the Heritage forum and overall owner opinions seem positive. Sometimes one of them might come from the factory with the sights a bit off - and the traditional way for addressing that is to bend the front sight a little to the right or left (for windage) or file a bit off of it (for elevation if it is shooting low.) Of course, some models are available with factory adjustable rear sights but they are going to cost a little more. Also, most of the time when you see the $99 special on them (at Academy, for instance) those are the LR only models. I will say that I haven't had the LR cylinder in mine for over two years - I have other LR pistols and I think the Heritage is just more fun with the WMR cylinder, although shooting LR through them is fun, too. As for accuracy, I love, love, LOVE posting this picture because A. it is some of my best handgun shooting ever and B. it proves that across the board 'Heritage Rough RIders aren't accurate' statements are nonsense I first put up and shot at this target at 100 yards with the Heritage as more of a lark than anything. I had been consistently 'pinging' some swinging metal targets that the range had up at fifty yards so I thought I'd try a paper target at 100 yards just for grins. I don't shoot well from a rest (never shot from a rest much and I find it awkward to do so, now) so all of these shots were taken from a standing, off-hand position shooting two-handed in more or less a Weaver stance. After seeing I had actually hit the paper a couple of times from the first cylinder full, I decided to try and 'dial in' on getting better hits just going by memory of where I had put the sights when firing the previous cylinder full. On the second cylinder, I overcompensated for elevation but got the windage about right. I think my results from the third cylinder weren't too bad, at all, for an inexpensive, rimfire revolver with a 6.5 inch barrel and open sights (for me, anyhow - I am not that great a shot, fair I suppose but not great.) It was fairly warm that day with little to no wind and we had no spotting scope so I was walking the 100 yards out and back to check the target after every cylinder full so I stopped after three cylinders full. If I had kept at it, I think I could have gotten some pretty good results. Certainly the gun is more accurate than I am. Having not shot nearly as much, lately, due to the ammo nonsense I am not sure that I could even repeat these meager results, now. Target3-22Mag100yards.jpg[/quote] Hey didn't know there was a Heritage forum. Thanks. Only Heritage I have seen is the 22 revolver. Now the same version with different type grips. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by TankerHC

Hey didn't know there was a Heritage forum. Thanks. Only Heritage I have seen is the 22 revolver. Now the same version with different type grips. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Hopefully won't break any rules posting the address for the Heritage forum here:

http://www.gunslingerforum.com/

The forum is not run by Heritage but by a fan of their products..  It is a pretty laid-back forum.  There aren't a lot of members and even fewer 'active' members but they are a good bunch of guys.  I am 'JAB' over there, too.

Single action revolvers are pretty much all Heritage does, now.  I think their bread and butter is the Rough Rider .22 series.  They also do/did a Rough Rider in .32 H&R that I always thought sounded interesting but is priced a little high for my tastes for what it is.  Heritage also sells some big bore revolvers.  The difference is that they pretty much make the Rough Riders in house while the parts for the big bores are made by Pietta in Italy and only assembled at the Heritage factory.  Apparently, they also used to offer the Rough Rider in .17 HMR but those were discontinued some years back.  They also offered a .45/.410 single action revolver for a while but now that Taurus has bought Heritage I don't know if they will continue that or if it will be seen as unwanted competition for the Judge (might have already discontinued it, as far as I know.)  Heritage also apparently used to make a semi-auto (called the Stealth) but I had never even heard of it before joining that forum.

In the .22 Rough Rider line, they offer models with varying barrel lengths (from 3.5 out to 9 inches with 4.x, 5.x and 6.5 inch models in between) although I don't think the 9 inch models are very common.  Some barrel lengths are available with adjustable rear sights and those usually have a 'fiber optic' front sight.  Some barrel lengths are available with birds head style grips (that looks pretty good on a 3.5 inch barrel model.)  There are some with cocobolo grips and some with 'camo' laminate wood grips.  There are also some 'aftermarket' grips available from Heritage.  There are a couple of different finishes available.  Unless I am mistaken, a few of the models are even available in all steel (mostly to be compliant in places like California) but they cost a bit more.  A year or two back - actually before Ruger came out with their 'Single 10' ten shot model - Heritage released a 9 shot model of the Rough Rider.  They cost a little more than the six shot model, though, and the cylinders are not interchangeable between the 9 and 6 shooters.

The only thing I kind of don't like about the Heritage is the stupid safety switch.  Why in the heck a single action revolver needs a safety when the company recommends carrying with the hammer on an empty chamber, anyhow, I will never understand.  That said, I just pretty much ignore the safety and try to forget it is there so no big deal - it just kind of messes up the lines of the revolver.  I guess it might be useful if using the Heritage to teach a young 'un to shoot.

If you come across a great deal on a new LR only model, it still might be worth it.  Last I heard (keeping in mind this was before the Heritage buy out) you could order a WMR cylinder for something like 35 bucks.  My understanding is that, most of the time, the cylinder doesn't have to be specifically fit to the individual revolver.  Instead, Heritage asks for your serial number as there seem to be a couple of different 'types' of the cylinder and they send you the one to match your serial number range.  You may want to double check my info on that before proceeding, however.

Edited by JAB

I've got a 6.5in model I picked up in June for a present for my Girlfriend. She loves it and it's dead on accurate at hitting a 8in metal plate at about 25yds. I paid 140$ for it (a little too much looking at prices now) with just the LR cylinder. She love's it and it's been great. Haven't shot it much as I've only been able to aquire on bulk box of 22 in about a yr. 

You are gonna wanna check the screws on it from time to time as they do have a habit of lossening from time to time but it only takes about 2min while cleaning to make sure they're all good. Also when I last checked, about a week ago, you can still buy the WMR from them for 30$

I picked up a set of grips for it off ebay in poor condition and painted them with a pink and black snakeskin pattern for her.

[url=http://s294.photobucket.com/user/willindsay/media/image_5.jpeg.html]image_5.jpeg[/URL]

Edited by willindsay
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC
I saw one of those stealths week before last and it was a cool looking gun. Except it didn't say Heritage. Didnt have my glasses on and didn't recognize the name. Then put my glasses on an was surprised at what I read. Pietta Made in Italy. Thought wow I had no idea Pieta made modern guns. Only ever saw black powder. Especially guns this cool looking. It was a. 22 LR HB. Guy behind our table had it. Think it was brand new. Certainly looked it and the only modern Pietta I have seen. Wanted 400 for it I believe. At the Knoxville show. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2 Edited by TankerHC

I bought one about a year ago from a buddy that needed some money and asked me if I would buy it and I asked him what he wanted for it. He does have an HCP also but he only wanted $125.00 for it in the original Cedar box and had both cylinders and had never been shot. I told him I would hold the gun for 60 days to give him the opportunity to get it back because I knew he was just in a temporary pinch for funds. After 6 months I called him and he said it was mine and he was not going to get it back. I showed it to a buddy of mine also an HCP guy and he pull 2 Ben Franklin's out of his pocket and asked if that would buy it. When he left I had 2 folding Ben Franklins and he had a Rough Rider with I think the 4 or4.5 inch barrel. It was not something I would go out of my way to buy but couldn't pass on the price.

Ok , call me crazy , and I know I am. I think I read somewhere ( I know , show me where ) that .22 pistols with interchangeable cylinders ; .22LR / .22WMR were more accurate with the .22WMR load because the barrel was rifled for the .22WMR for a size difference in the bullet ? Can't find it again , don't really believe it but read it on the interweb. That makes it really true right ? Edited by Threeeighty

We have one, fun to shoot, we can hit with it.

I have read not to fire to many mag22s, beats them up a bit.

Ya cant shoot CCI quite out of them.

Some did not clear the barrel, we packed 3 in the barrell

before we found out what was going on.

Kids love them, small, little kick and they can hit with them.

• Like 1

I owned one for about three years and then upgraded to a ruger single six. The heritage I owned had failure to fire problems with all types of ammo. I wouldn't expect all heritage's to have this problem, but mine did. The heritage and ruger were both petty similar with respect to accuracy. Sold the Heritage for $200 and paid $350 for the single six. I feel both were a fair value. I wouldn't have any problem buying another heritage. It really just depends how much you want to spend. 

I don't completely understand the 'drop out cylinder' comment above - you only have to drop the cylinder out if you want to change from WMR to LR or vice versa.  The Heritage loads/unloads via a loading gate - no need to pull the cylinder.

You're right...i was confused...musta been thinking of the Iver Johnson Cadet that i had at about the same time.  Sorry for the misleading statement and thanks for the correction.

Edited by i1afli

I bought two of them.  One for me, and one for my dad.  His is a six shot and mine is a 9 shot.  They shoot fine, and are cheap fun range toys.  That's all.  Nothing as grand as the Rugers, and nowhere near the cost.

This is the one I got for my dad.  Mine is exactly the same, only moar bullets = moar fun.

Heritage.jpg

Edited by Will H

We have one, fun to shoot, we can hit with it.
I have read not to fire to many mag22s, beats them up a bit.
Ya cant shoot CCI quite out of them.
Some did not clear the barrel, we packed 3 in the barrell
before we found out what was going on.
Kids love them, small, little kick and they can hit with them.

Wonder if that might have been a bad ammo batch on the quiet. Against all warnings I've fired every kind of CB, quiet, subsonic ammo I can get my paws on through most every 22 I own, semis(of course don't cycle), bolt, lever, pistols, revolvers, the whole ball of wax.

Not saying it can't happen or even that it doesn't happen frequently, just that I'd be surprised if it were to happen to you again should you ever repeat the experiment.

My friend is having to send his back. Someone, not sure who, dry fired it and it DENTED the cylinder just above 3 different chambers.

Now you can't load a shell in the those 3 cylinders. He knows it is his fault but still, it's cheaper to replace a firing pin than a cylinder.

Plus, I'd think you want the cylinder harder than the firing pin?

As far as accuracy goes his shoot consistently high but it does group really well.

Wonder if that might have been a bad ammo batch on the quiet. Against all warnings I've fired every kind of CB, quiet, subsonic ammo I can get my paws on through most every 22 I own, semis(of course don't cycle), bolt, lever, pistols, revolvers, the whole ball of wax.

Not saying it can't happen or even that it doesn't happen frequently, just that I'd be surprised if it were to happen to you again should you ever repeat the experiment.

It is the only 22 revolver we have, all other 22s are semi and they did not cycle.

I got rid of the stuff, knowing it wont work, wont try again.

Guest Aces&8s

I love my Heritage...  it is my avatar pic.  Great little revolver, accurate, and cheap to shoot.  My dad has a Ruger Single Six, and of course the fit and finish is much nicer than my Rough Rider, but it doesn't shoot any better.  The one thing I am not crazy about is the hammer-block safety:  someone should keep lawyers away from gun designs.

I have two of them. I bought a convertible from Gander Mountain for $200 or thereabouts on a whim. I had long ago given my Ruger Single Six to my brother, so I was without a cheap plinker.

I never left for the range without that little bugger. I have never shot it past 10yd or so, but at those ranges, it was point and click, make that shell dance. I could pop empty shotshell hulls for hours and love every minute of it.

I figure that little bugger has 3-4k through it. 

I liked it so much that when I was at the Academy soft opening in Knoxville, I bought another, this one had the Gadsen Flag faux ivory grips. I think I have $150 for it.

That little bugger is just as much fun as the first one. It puts holes where I point it and eats whatever I feed it.

I WILL be buying more. They are too fun and cheap not to.

The finish is cheap, the fit isn't anything to write home about. I haven't shot them past 10yds with any attempt at accuracy, but under that you can write your name. I don't leave for the range without them. 

More importantly my wife and daughter both love to shoot them.

They aren't a Ruger Single Six, but anyone thinking they are getting a Single Six for under two bills needs to rethink it. But they are fun. In my opinion, they are worth it.

I won't knock the Heritage pistols, I had one for a while. As Murgatroy says they are fun guns for short range, but I've had Smith 22 models for so long I just couldn't really warm up to them.

The moral of the story is, if you want an inexpensive range toy; ther're great. If you want a serious 22 revolver...get one of the Smith models--K22, 617, etc.

They won't be as cheap, but you won't regret it.