Tresorit (Dropbox Alternative)

GlockSpock

• Moderators
I've been playing around with Tresorit. It's a pretty good alternative to Dropbox. Read up on it, supposedly they have no access to your files due to the fact they are encrypted with your private key on your own computer before being uploaded. Less featured, but looks promising. Give them a try:

http://tresorit.com/download.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

They've got some good specials going on right now.

500 Extra MB Free

Install and login to their mobile app and you get an extra 5GB free.

Also, some cloud service providers are more secure than others. Dropbox, for example, uses the same encryption key for all files. Dropbox can decrypt your data if someone wants/needs to. However, there are some cloud providers that allow your computer to generate keys (a public and private key). They private key is typically encrypted by your password. Essentially, they cannot decrypt your data because they don't know and don't store your password. It's a bit more complex than that, but that's the general idea. It does come down to trust at some point though. I use Dropbox for some stuff. Some stuff I use SpiderOak or Tresorit for. SpiderOak is the same idea as Tresorit, but SpiderOak has given me some serious data corruption problems recently. I say give Tresorit a try/test. I think they have a while to go, but they are off to a nice start and are currently offering $25,000 to anyone that can break into their system and decrypt user data.

EDIT: Here is their "whitepaper": https://tresorit.com/tresoritwhitepaper.pdf

Edited by CZ9MM
  • 1 month later...

Amazon glacier is looking interesting. I haven't done a price comparison though. It's encrypted with their keys so if you are as paranoid as you should be, you'll want to encrypt with your own first.

Note that it is not a live drive but meant for long-term archiving. Thus the price is somewhat lower than for their online stuff.

Edited by tnguy