Proper way to dispose of deer carcass?

I normally kill 1 deer a year for myself, but since my family is getting used to eating venison that deer only lasted me 3.5 months. So this year I'll be going for 2 deer and will be doing the processing myself. How do you gentlemen get rid of the carcass? With one deer, I parted the bones and slowly threw it away at the dump. I had a chance to take two last time out but passed cause I wasn't sure how I'd get rid of said carcass. I don't wanna dump the carcass at a field like suggested by the dump employees because of how non-hunters would feel if they came upon it.
Google-fu didn't really help. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Take it back to where you hunt and throw it out.  The coyotes will have it eaten and cleaned up by morning.   The bones won't hurt anything.   Or just throw it in a heavy garbage bag and take it to the dump.  It isn't any worse than other rotting meat in the dump.  Just double bag it.

Edited by Hozzie

Take it back to where you hunt and throw it out.  The coyotes will have it eaten and cleaned up by morning.   The bones won't hurt anything.   Or just throw it in a heavy garbage bag and take it to the dump.  It isn't any worse than other rotting meat in the dump.  Just double bag it.

Be careful in saying this Hozzie. Depending where he dumps it, it could be quite expensive! The dump is the best option. If it's private property, dump away. Don't do it on public land...please.

DaveS

• Like 1
I hunt the WMA and I was thinking of the fisherman and families who go through trails hiking or to get to the fishing spot seeing the carcass. I know not everyone's a hunter, just trying to see all the options that well knowledgeable hunters do.

Be careful in saying this Hozzie. Depending where he dumps it, it could be quite expensive! The dump is the best option. If it's private property, dump away. Don't do it on public land...please.

DaveS

Yeah, good point.  I didn't even think about WMA's.  I have never hunted one so it didn't even cross my mind.  I am always on private property so it isn't a problem.  

• Like 1

I hunt the WMA and I was thinking of the fisherman and families who go through trails hiking or to get to the fishing spot seeing the carcass. I know not everyone's a hunter, just trying to see all the options that well knowledgeable hunters do.

It's illegal to dump your carcass on a WMA, and you can get ticketed for it. Cut it into smaller manageable pieces, bag it and dispose of it.

DaveS

Edited by DaveS

I throw mine off in a wooded holler behind the house. Once my dog is able to get the bones separated, he usually drags it back into the yard, one piece at a time.

I assume you are in town and can't do this, so I would suggest double bagging the remains and setting out with your household garbage.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

if you have a garden or will be planting a fruit tree, bury it.  You will be amazed.  Skin/hair/blood/intestine....those are super-concentrate, slow-releasing food/nutrient for plants/trees.  Ever heard of blood meal/hair for fertilizer?

Garden...bury it at least under 2' of soil if the flies are still buzzing, (1' if it is after 3 freeze spells).  Put wood chips on top of the carcass/intestine.  Cover with soil, then top it off with leaves or chips.  Put cinder blocks on top of it for a few weeks so that dogs or other vermin will not dig it back up.

Future tree pit:  dig deeper and wider; put chips on top of it.  Ditto.  Next year, when you re-dig the hole, stop when you see chip or smell the decomposing pile.  Make sure the hole is deep enough for the size of the tree you will be planting the next season.

If you don't want coyote harassing your deer, then why feed it.  Make them work for their keep.

If the flies are still out, leaving a gut piles make life harder for the rest of us.

• Like 2

Our wildlife officers have enough to do without us calling and asking how to throw away deer scraps. Bag it and put it out on the curb in your can, or carry it to your convenient center like I do. Or feed it to your chickens.

DaveS

• Like 1
Guest TNSovereignty

The head goes to the chickens; the dog drags the front legs all over the farm; all the bones get cut up & thrown in the pot for 48 hrs of simmering, then can it up for broth.  All I have left at the end are white bones ... I run them through the shredder & put 'em in the garden.  Some of this may be farm related, but everyone should make the most of their deer by making the broth ... we can many quarts of it each season, and you'll never want to eat another soup that didn't start w/ your own venison broth.

The head goes to the chickens; the dog drags the front legs all over the farm; all the bones get cut up & thrown in the pot for 48 hrs of simmering, then can it up for broth.  All I have left at the end are white bones ... I run them through the shredder & put 'em in the garden.  Some of this may be farm related, but everyone should make the most of their deer by making the broth ... we can many quarts of it each season, and you'll never want to eat another soup that didn't start w/ your own venison broth.

That sounds like an awesome idea and I will have to try it. Do you use a pressure cooker or just hot bath type canning? I think freezing will work.

Dave

That sounds like an awesome idea and I will have to try it. Do you use a pressure cooker or just hot bath type canning? I think freezing will work.

Dave

I'll make a big pot of broth with the turkey carcass on friday. We put it in plastic containers and freeze it.  Makes for good soup all winter long. 

Guest TNSovereignty

If canning, you gotta use a pressure canner on meats & 'low-acid' foods.  I raise about 25 turkeys & 50 chickens a year, and usually try to get 4-5 deer.  So, freezer space is at a premium ... that's why we can.  

As soon as a family member gets a sore throat, heat up a can of broth, add lots of garlic & strong onion, then add as much cayenne as the patient can handle.  Cures what ails ye!

I live I town, so do my processing in the garage. Have a hanger that go into my truck receiver and has a winch built-in to it.
I bag the carcass and take it to the dump or throw it out in a field down the road if the dump is closed. Coyotes and the like dispose of it quick.

For hunter with dog (or cat).

I feed my 80lb dog (half boxer half fox terrier) deer's lung, kidney, spleen, liver, heart, legs, trimmings, ribs, back bones, pelvis, etc (no skin).  She can do a magic trick with a deer leg, hide & all, in 45min; there is literally nothing left.  

I usually ax 1/2lb side chunk and she loved it.  I store the extra in a cooler cooled by frozen milk jug.  I try to give her a veggie meal (vegetable scraps, fruit skin, broccoli stem/leaves) in between chunks to help her pass.  I tried NOT to feed her more than 2lbs at a time.  When I first process the deer she gets 2lbs.  Thereafter, no more than 1lbs at each meal, 2X/day.

She gets to gnaw the ears also; it is better than peeling the skin off a chemical laced tennis ball or licking a Chinese made dog toy. 

This year I'm going to try cooking up some broth and canned them like you guys suggested.  I strain the broth and make sure I don't put deer fat in the pot.  Dog will get the white bones and the broth dredge when I'm done.

This way I pay respect to my deer.

• Like 1