More OC'ing Drama

JohnC

• Moderators
Absolutely a case of fishing for a cop. The key part of the equation y'all are missing is that it is entirely up to the cop whether or not he gets hooked. If the cop acts within the limits and scope of his duties everyone goes on their way and the douche is just a douche. If the officer oversteps his limits, he gets himself into trouble or the agency on the hook for a payout and the douche gets the smug satisfaction of being right, and possibly wealthier. The lesson to takeaway from this is for cops to act within their limits. Yes, they have a difficult job. I don't think anyone denies that. It is a difficult job on purpose.
  • Like 4
There's a time and place for open carry. I don't think this was the one.

Seems like trying to incite a response from the officer.

I was recently in an Arbys for lunch, when I spotted a mid-20s(?)guy and his gf(?) get off a bike and come in. Noticed right away that he had a big Ruger in a cowboy rig on his hip. They stopped at the door and they talked while he adjusted his pistol and belt.

Upon entering, he stopped and looked all around; like he was surveying a bar room, or maybe just giving all the staff and patrons a chance to check him out. Several people seemed to notice him, but no mention was made and I certainly wasn't going to give him the possible satisfaction of commenting on his gun.

After ordering, I noticed the guy sat on the outside edge of his seat, with the gun showing and in full view. I swear he was looking for someone to start up. After a few minutes, he looked around and grabbed their food and left.

Maybe just my overactive imagination, but I certainly thought it strange.

I have never had the urge to take a AR15 to coffee with me. Or sling a shotgun over my shoulder and walk down the street..

And those that do, always have a recording device going because they want a confrontation. And that's all they do it for is for 10 minutes of fame on you tube! In my opinion, if you carry a shotgun or AR to a coffee shop, be ready for the cops!

DaveS

• Like 1
It's one thing to carry with confidence and not be concerned with someone noticing in passing. But it's definitely another to purposefully advertise, looking for a reaction. That gives us all a bad name and just furthers the public disdain and distrust for HCP carriers.

If someone just happens to notice that I'm carrying, I would much rather have them see me as being a positive, responsible citizen and earn their acceptance and respect.

It's much easier to make a bad impression. It only takes one bad apple and the impression lasts a lot longer.
  • Like 1

had a customer OC into the liquor store yesterday.  No one but me noticed, customers are oblivious to it.  Of course he acted like anyone else in the door acts, did nothing to draw attention.  Got his case of wine, paid and left.  This is how OC should always happen.

• Like 1
I've made gun transactions in public parking lots out in the open where I know I've been seen. Heck, I even did one where a cop was about 50 feet away and never received any negative attention. I do keep on guard for it, and it try to keep it discrete though.

I think it's a good thing for non gun people to see that we can be responsible and not just jump to conclusions and be afraid I will shoot up Wal-Mart if they see me in the parking lot with a Mosin Nagant. But I would never advertise it and shove it anyone's face, or try to make a point by OC'ing.

I read a book my Massad Ayoob where he supports OC, but states (and I paraphrase) that there is no reason to "scare the horses" and cause a scene.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
  • Like 2