building AR15. What are the parts of the BCG?

Hello.

I'm picked up an AR15 " build in progress'.  I now just need to finish the BCG.  (In the meanwhile, I used one from another rifle and it works).

I have the Bolt Carrier Only.  In order to finish it I believe I only need the following:  (can someone check this to make sure before I hit submit on an order from Midway)

- Les Baer Custom Bolt Stripped AR-15 Matte

- Olympic Arms Firing Pin Retaining Pin AR-15

- DPMS Firing Pin M-16

- DPMS Bolt Cam Pin AR-15 Matte

What are some wear/tear items on an AR15 that I may want to get a spare off?  (firing pin maybe?)

Any other feedback will be appreciated!  (i'm fairly new to the black rifle)

Edited by vujade
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"stripped" bolt?

Does it have

- extractor/spring/spring base/pin

- ejector/spring/pin

- gas rings

-----------

Spare of everything for a bolt would be a good idea.

As far as catastrophic stoppage in the "field" (thinking civilian SHTF),  the bolt itself is probably the most likely thing. A great backup is a complete bolt in a Magpul MOE grip with a bolt carrier/firing pin insert. You can also get a cam  pin and a couple of FP retaining pins in there too:

911397.jpg

miad_grip_core_bolt_and_firing_pin.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

and I found the 'non stripped one'

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/237709/les-baer-custom-bolt-assembly-ar-15-matte

if I got this one... i'll add the other items I have above (firing pin, bolt cam pin, retaining pin). anything else?

And for AR15s and buying bolts... do you need to worry about headspacing.  I heard someone say they 'headspace themselves' but I want to verify.

Are these true 'drop in' pieces?

Edited by vujade

ok.  i found this:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBOLT&name=AIM+9310+MPI+AR%2fM16+5.56+Bolt&groupid=723

and then I'll add the firing pin, retaining pin and bolt cam pin. 

thanks for catching that OS.  Let me know if this will complete me or if I need anything else.

good idea with the back up bolt/pin inside the pistol grip.  I have that exact pistol grip, i'll add an extra bolt and firing pin in the future.

Edited by vujade