Official Muzzleloader Thread/Hunt results

I have a TC that I bought used for $75. It has become my gun to shoot year round, the process really teaches me to evaluate my BRM every shot. On another note, went out this morning and was able to get a buck with only 4 points but weighed 122lb field dressed. I thought it was a big doe at first - the meat was soooo tender. These 2/3 year old deer are looking huge.

Perfect sized deer for eating!!!

• Like 1

Going to hunt with a muzzleloader for the first time tomorrow.  Can't wait!  Bought one cheap of Craigslist and its in OK condition.  They definitely didnt take as good of care of it as I would have but I shot it out to 100 and it was in the kill zone.  Dont plan on taking anything more than 100 away anyways.   

Going to hunt with a muzzleloader for the first time tomorrow.  Can't wait!  Bought one cheap of Craigslist and its in OK condition.  They definitely didnt take as good of care of it as I would have but I shot it out to 100 and it was in the kill zone.  Dont plan on taking anything more than 100 away anyways.   

What did you get Slappy? When you take your first deer with it, you'll be hooked forever!

DaveS

• Like 1
Have my daughter with me this morning and we have seen 5 does and one buck. No shots yet. The wind has been swirling this morning. A three of the does caught our scent. The other two does spotted us and didn't present a shot.
The buck had his nose to the ground and was moving fast. This all happened from about 6:20 till 7:20. Been quiet since then.
  • Like 2
Not long after I made the last post we had a buck come in. Nice old 8 point. Short tines but very wide. Unfortunately Caitlin got a case of buck fever and missed. I reloaded and then realized I had left my 209 primers in the truck. I guess the old deer gets to live to see another day.
  • Like 1

Not long after I made the last post we had a buck come in. Nice old 8 point. Short tines but very wide. Unfortunately Caitlin got a case of buck fever and missed. I reloaded and then realized I had left my 209 primers in the truck. I guess the old deer gets to live to see another day.

But you made memories Sir!

DaveS

• Like 1

What did you get Slappy? When you take your first deer with it, you'll be hooked forever!

DaveS

CVA Optima .50cal

Dave and others....I had a HECK of a hunt today!  One of THE BEST hunts I have been on in a long time!  I was hunting over a wheat/clover field about 200 yards as the crow flies from a bedding area.  Its about an acre plot as well so its not too big.  I was hunting out of a RedNeck Hunting Blind in a very comfortable chair.  Anyways, my day started with a 3pt buck that came cruising through.  I was able to glass him for a bit with my Nikon Monarch 5's binoculars.  Beautiful animal!

[url=http://s532.photobucket.com/user/jtv14/media/IMG_3091_zps0167e4a3.jpg.html]IMG_3091_zps0167e4a3.jpg[/URL]

Then a lone doe came out about 15 minutes later.  She was tearing into the clover.  My goal this year is to only kill does to help reduce our deer heard and balance the doe/buck sex ratio.  Anyways, I thought about taking her, which would be my first with a Muzzleloader, and decided not to because I was a little afraid it might be a button buck (turns out it was a doe).  So I decided to wait and I am GLAD I DID! 

So I look up and see a big bodied deer on the edge of the woods.  Nikon Monarch's indicated it was a 2.5 year old buck with 4 on one side and atypical with 2 on the other.  He was STARING HER DOWN.  He wanted her so bad.  He ended up bedding down on the edge of the woods just watching her for like 10 minutes.  THEN he got up and started making a scrape!  Thrashing his antlers around on this overhanging limb, hoofing the ground and then taking a wicked piss right on the center.  Then he took a few steps towards her and started grunting at her over and over.  He ran like 3 steps to her and she ran a bit but still for the most part ignored him.  Then once he was in the middle of the field, he bedded down again!   Then more time passed and she wandered off and he followed in hot pursuit.  

[url=http://s532.photobucket.com/user/jtv14/media/IMG_3094_zps5b81a695.jpg.html]IMG_3094_zps5b81a695.jpg[/URL]

Then I started hearing turkeys purring.  A group of like 9 gobblers came out right by my stand.  So awesome!

[url=http://s532.photobucket.com/user/jtv14/media/IMG_3100_zps447ce7a3.jpg.html]IMG_3100_zps447ce7a3.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s532.photobucket.com/user/jtv14/media/IMG_3101_zps1e51e37c.jpg.html]IMG_3101_zps1e51e37c.jpg[/URL]

Then after they ran off a group of 3 deer came out.  A mom, and two fawns, one of which actually was a button buck!  So I ended up taking out the mom.  I cleaned her up and gave her to some Mexicans that were working on my FIL's farm house and they were very thankful and excited for her! 

[url=http://s532.photobucket.com/user/jtv14/media/IMG_3128_zpsb915d312.jpg.html]IMG_3128_zpsb915d312.jpg[/URL]

What a hunt!!!

All I had was my iphone 4s, so sorry about all the crappy photos.  

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 4

CVA Optima .50cal

Dave and others....I had a HECK of a hunt today!  One of THE BEST hunts I have been on in a long time!  I was hunting over a wheat/clover field about 200 yards as the crow flies from a bedding area.  Its about an acre plot as well so its not too big.  I was hunting out of a RedNeck Hunting Blind in a very comfortable chair.  Anyways, my day started with a 3pt buck that came cruising through.  I was able to glass him for a bit with my Nikon Monarch 5's binoculars.  Beautiful animal!

IMG_3091_zps0167e4a3.jpg

Then a lone doe came out about 15 minutes later.  She was tearing into the clover.  My goal this year is to only kill does to help reduce our deer heard and balance the doe/buck sex ratio.  Anyways, I thought about taking her, which would be my first with a Muzzleloader, and decided not to because I was a little afraid it might be a button buck (turns out it was a doe).  So I decided to wait and I am GLAD I DID! 

So I look up and see a big bodied deer on the edge of the woods.  Nikon Monarch's indicated it was a 2.5 year old buck with 4 on one side and atypical with 2 on the other.  He was STARING HER DOWN.  He wanted her so bad.  He ended up bedding down on the edge of the woods just watching her for like 10 minutes.  THEN he got up and started making a scrape!  Thrashing his antlers around on this overhanging limb, hoofing the ground and then taking a wicked piss right on the center.  Then he took a few steps towards her and started grunting at her over and over.  He ran like 3 steps to her and she ran a bit but still for the most part ignored him.  Then once he was in the middle of the field, he bedded down again!   Then more time passed and she wandered off and he followed in hot pursuit.  

IMG_3094_zps5b81a695.jpg

Then I started hearing turkeys purring.  A group of like 9 gobblers came out right by my stand.  So awesome!

IMG_3100_zps447ce7a3.jpg

IMG_3101_zps1e51e37c.jpg

Then after they ran off a group of 3 deer came out.  A mom, and two fawns, one of which actually was a button buck!  So I ended up taking out the mom.  I cleaned her up and gave her to some Mexicans that were working on my FIL's farm house and they were very thankful and excited for her! 

IMG_3128_zpsb915d312.jpg

What a hunt!!!

All I had was my iphone 4s, so sorry about all the crappy photos.  

It don't get no better than that! Watching a the deer like that gets your heart going doesn't it?

DaveS

• Like 1
IMG_20131118_150301_003_zps7024e73c.jpg

Finally managed to get away to my lease this afternoon. I wasn't on stand for more than 20 minutes before a little forky showed up & offered me a 'my freezer's empty' shot, which I promptly missed. I reloaded & this 6 ran into & stopped in the exact same spot, so I figured I was getting a mulligan......
He was slightly quartering towards me & only went 40 yards across an open field before piling up in a hedgerow.
  • Like 5