Reminder, Amazon Collects TN Sales Tax Jan 2014

runco

Just a reminder to you, Amazon will begin collecting Tennessee Sales Tax beginning January 1, 2014.  Though I am sure everyone voluntarily pays that now, you will not have to be reminded beginning in January, Amazon will take that burden from you.  My Amazon Prime membership is in jeopardy, I really like those voluntary choices and forms!

http://www.nooga.com/164147/amazon-will-collect-sales-tax-starting-in-january/

http://consumerist.com/2013/02/01/amazon-e-mailing-tennessee-residents-to-remind-them-of-sales-tax-obligation/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2013/09/04/amazon-can-support-the-internet-sales-tax-because-amazon-is-exempt/

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/20937402/tns-amazon-customers-required-to-pay-taxes

Amazon is a pipe dream, the way they run it.

You have to make a profit at some point (which they never, ever - have)

At least one guy blames all you Prime accounts, but It has to be more basic than that, I think.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/10/28/prime-members-are-eating-amazons-profits.aspx

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/22/technology/sales-are-colossal-shares-are-soaring-all-amazoncom-is-missing-is-a-profit.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I personally wonder if the tax collection thing will doom them.

Edited by R_Bert

There goes my prime account and I have had it since it came out.  I will be buying a lot less from Amazon.

You people saying that are nuts.

Every place that sells on line that has a physical presence in TN has to charge sales tax. Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, and CMT Tactical are places I've bought from that come immediately to mind.

The only reason Amazon hasn't till now was due to a delayed deal with the state to get more of their distribution centers here.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Individual companies collecting...fine.  But perception drives the bottom line.  Joe Average sees Amazon as the biggest operator, and now they are perceived as a tax collecting arm of the government.  Owed or not, Joe Average is not used to being "forced" to pay taxes in the innerdwebs for out of state purchases. Now *Amazon* is making sure that he does.

.gov won't suffer near as much as Amazon does for that deal.  Not sure who got screwed, either consumer or Amazon, but it was not .gov. 

Eventually, convenience of pajama-shopping and near-immediate gratification will win out again.

Edited by R_Bert

Joe Average needs to understand that Amazon now has distribution centers in Tennessee.  They are a TN business.  Ergo, TN residents must pay sales tax.

Joe Average also needs to be aware of who he votes for.  Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker are huge supporters of Internet sales tax.  Thanks to them you'll soon start paying taxes on all online purchases, regardless of the origin, and it will not be voluntarily.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Every place that sells on line that has a physical presence in TN has to charge sales tax. Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, and CMT Tactical are places I've bought from that come immediately to mind.

The only reason Amazon hasn't till now was due to a delayed deal with the state to get more of their distribution centers here.

- OS

I'm definitely not in favor of paying taxes where I don't have to, but the real problem I have with this is that the state gave favorable preference to one company (Amazon) over others by allowing them to not collect taxes. If you ran a Mom & Pop internet business in TN and got no such special privileges from the govt, would you be pi$$ed that a big competitor did? How could you compete with a behemoth that is allowed to not charge tax?

I understand the ultimate need for taxes, though I will definitely minimize my exposure when possible. But ultimately, this deal cost the tax payers in other ways where the state had to make up for revenue it missed through Amazon while it played favorites. I understand that the deal did create a lot of jobs in the state, but that doesn't excuse using crony corruption to do it. Some may say that we HAVE to do it just to compete against states that do. That doesn't make it right and ultimately hurts local entrepreneurialism and the local economy. If everyone was on the same playing field in the state, I'm sure that would be an attractor in itself.

Now we the consumers have to pay the price even though the effect of the "new" tax is merely perception based on not having to pay it until now.

- OS

I am well aware of this.  I will take every chance I can to screw the govt.  I pay more than my fair share of taxes, screw em' 

Edit:  I am not saying I won't buy from Amazon, that probably wasn't clear.  I just won't keep my Prime Membership.  Less advantage to use it now.  I am more and more starting to buy as much as humanly possible used.  Other than food and cloth's, I can buy a lot used.  

Edited by Hozzie

I'm definitely not in favor of paying taxes where I don't have to, but the real problem I have with this is that the state gave favorable preference to one company (Amazon) over others by allowing them to not collect taxes. If you ran a Mom & Pop internet business in TN and got no such special privileges from the govt, would you be pi$$ed that a big competitor did? How could you compete with a behemoth that is allowed to not charge tax?

So now you're fussing that Amazon hasn't  been collecting sales tax. Bezos can't win in this argument eh? :)

I did charge sales tax for non-exempt sales for a biz I used to run. I'm sure if my biz were worth the potential of hundreds of millions in revenue to the state I probably could have cut some kind of temporary deal too.

It's totally common practice in most all states to also defray or defer various other taxes to lure business in, primary the property taxes and TN is no diff. Just a fact in the biz world, and something any biz would be nuts not to consider before locating.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

as costs increase by ~10% tax, my discretionary spending will decrease by same.....not to mention some 100%+ on medical insurance.  They can charge tax all they wish, but this turnip ain't a whole lot of blood.

I imagine you'll still shop for the products you want at the lowest prices, sales tax, shipping included as far as online, and sales tax for brick and mortar. And I imagine Amazon will continue to often be the best choice.

- OS

as costs increase by ~10% tax, my discretionary spending will decrease by same.....not to mention some 100%+ on medical insurance.  They can charge tax all they wish, but this turnip ain't a whole lot of blood.

I imagine you'll still shop for the products you want at the lowest prices, sales tax, shipping included as far as online, and sales tax for brick and mortar. And I imagine Amazon will continue to often be the best choice.

- OS

We will shop as necessary, of course.  however, like many, we are on a fixed budget & income. Cash expenditures will not increase solely due to a tax increase.

Delayed gratification is the economic term rising in our household.   Toilet paper, heat, water first.  Entertainment & hobbies last.

I am well aware of this.  I will take every chance I can to screw the govt.  I pay more than my fair share of taxes, screw em' 

Did you know you can deduct all sales tax from your federal taxable income if those help add up to more than the standard deduction?

You can even legally claim more than you actually paid by using the built-in calculator.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Did you know you can deduct all sales tax from your federal taxable income if those help add up to more than the standard deduction?

You can even legally claim more than you actually paid by using the built-in calculator.

- OS

Yeah, I claim sales tax every year.  I am very fortunate to make a good living so it doesn't help me that much.  I am not complaining about that per se, it is just how much does one person really need to pay to make up their share?  I realize a lot of people think some should pay more, but I am not really into the whole "for the better of society crowd".  I am in the let them support themselves crowd.  I don't mind paying my share, but my share is getting out of control.

So now you're fussing that Amazon hasn't been collecting sales tax. Bezos can't win in this argument eh? :)

Definitely not complaining. Lord knows I've taken advantage of it many a time through Amazon and other retailers.

I'm just making a point about govt meddling with free market. I know there's no easy answer either way and the governor did what he thought would be best for the state.

A lot of people thought Haslem went to the middle, or even to the left, by taking away Amazon's preferred status. However, I'm wondering if it weren't actually a pretty conservative stance based on many entrepreneur's view that they would rather make it on their own merits without taking any special privileges. (Full disclosure: this is coming from someone who has never started a business. )

I can't blame someone for taking advantage of laws to benefit themselves, and I'm no economist, but it seems to me if you keep everyone on an even playing field, the best will naturally succeed and those that can't compete or offer value will naturally be culled. Government intervention changes that.

....A lot of people thought Haslem went to the middle, or even to the left, by taking away Amazon's preferred status. ..

To my knowledge, the tax deferment deal was made before they ever built the first distribution center here, which also included when it would end?

- OS

We pay a higher sales tax rate because we don’t have a state income tax. I don’t have a problem with the state collecting it on internet sales.

My view on taxes is that they should be a flat rate point of sale. No exceptions for anyone, not a school, church, business, and not an internet sale. But if everyone is going to pay; I expect to see a significant drop in the rate.

Yup,along w feeding the deadbeat fund,they need that money now to build a new stadium for the sounds, to subsidize yo mama care, and to build more parking lots to be run by central parking. In the meantime metro schools cant keep up w books for students, runs off good teachers by paying slave wages,and builds the new convention center to raise more money for broadway business owners with the tax dollar slush fund. Have to agree the ride was good while it lasted. Let me not forget our teenagers wont ever see drivers ed in school because theres no money to be used to get training cars and teach young drivers how to stay alive. go amazon! wait a minute, who will check amazons tax collection?? get me a beer hey yall watch this shit!