Uberti single action revolvers, any good?

jeff43

I have two open top Army Conversion 7.5 inch,1872's in .45 Schofield and one 1873 Cattleman 4.5 inch in .45 cap. I like them all. 

I think you can wear out some of the parts but I haven't yet. All of my six guns are in .45 Long Colt or .45 Schofield.

If you're looking for tough the Ruger New Model Vaquero's are built like tanks. They are the same size as a Colt (in .45LC) but I'm not sure if that's true in .38's. A lot of older folks and gal's shoot the .38's in those Cowboy Action Matches. Less recoil and a lil cheaper to reload. 

Hope this helps.

Lp

• Like 1

I also have the top break schofield 45.  Its very well made.  The top break latch is extremely rugged, and that was a prone to fail part in the antique break tops.  

Accuracy, I do not have a good pistol rest to test it.   The sights are so bad on this specific model (its a replica, but they could have cheated just a little on the sights IMHO!)  that its hard to say how good the gun could be.  The front sight probably covers 6 moa of target, its super fat.   I could probably replace it, but I have other target guns, this one is for blasting and fun.

I give it 10/10 for quality and 9/10 for being, as far as I can tell from pictures and so on, pretty close to the original.  I give it about a 6/10 for use as a target gun, but again, I have not tried to improve on it.  At a guess, with good ammo in a rest, it probably shoots as well as any other non professional competition revolver as far as making a group. 

• Like 1

I have an Uberti Cattleman and an 'Old' model Vaquero, both in .45 LC.  I've tried a couple of times to choose one to sell (because who really needs two six-guns, right?), but I can't bring myself to do it. 

I like the Vaquero a lot because it feels very substantial and is built like a tank.  The stainless finish looks great.  The Uberti seems to me to be a more elegant firearm, and feels better balanced in my hand.  It has a 'case-hardened' finish, and looks much more authentic. 

Both guns are a blast to shoot, run flawlessly, and I don't notice any difference in accuracy.  If forced to choose just one, I would probably opt for the Uberti because of the balance and the more traditional look.  I like the .45 Long Colt caliber, but sure don't like the availability/cost of the ammo.  .38 would probably be a better choice unless you reload.

To add to what others have posted; ill join the chorus of good reports... We have a pair 51 navies, a whitneyville dragoon, and a remington 58... They are all exceptionally well made inside and out... My 24 year old used the pair of 51 navies extensively and i smithed them a bit to smooth up the actions... They shoot very well and are very accurate...

All that bein said; im sure the cartridge models are just as good or better... I dont think ya can buy a better replica single action army for the price... All that from a bunch that has a safe full of rugers (...old and new models...) and several colt saa's...

I say buy and use with confidence....

leroy

I have a Cattleman replica from Uberti it does not say Cattleman on it, it surely was not built in Germany.  Uberti is an Italian company.

My 58 Remmy (.44) replica is an Uberti and it is a nice pistol.  I also bought the .45 Colt conversion cylinder for it.  Make sure of you do this to only shoot cowboy loads through it, it is not rated for full centerfire loads.

Fit and finish is 8 out of 10. It certainly does not compare to a Ruger Vaquero.  But it is good stuff for a 250 dollar pistol.  The conversion costs about as much. I don't know that I'd ever sell it. Replacement parts are readily available if needed.

Dang I need to shoot it,  nothing like the stank of black powder.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

I have a Cattleman SAA 7.5" in .45lc.  Very accurate, well-made pistol.    Prices vary a lot.  I've seen used ones go from $350-up.  New ones are over $500 now.  I'd say if you find a nice, used one under $450, snag it!

Uberti guns are all made in Italy.  There were several manufacturers in Germany that made Single-Action Army clones during from the '50's through the '80's.  Most are well made.

The quality & accuracy of the Uberti's I have fondled & fired (I have never actually owned one) have all been pretty decent, especially for their price-point.

I've always paid a bit more for Ruger models simply because of potential part availibility problems with Uberti.

However that previous potential concern seems to had been unfounded & I probably wouldn't hesitate to buy an Uberti if I was in the market for another reproduction revolver.