We need Enhanced Carry like MS (can almost carry anywhere)!!!

OK, I was talking College Campus Carry with someone and he turned me to the MS permit info. They have a "Enhanced Carry Permit" that allows you to carry everywhere except (see red text):

Firearms Permit Vs Enhanced Carry Permits

Firearms Permit
•CAN NOT carry in a Courtroom or Law Enforcement Office or detention center.
•CAN NOT carry in Polling Place or meeting of the Government.
•CAN NOT carry at any School, College or Athletic Event.
•CAN NOT carry at establishment or portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises primarily devoted to such purpose .
•CAN NOT carry inside the passenger terminal of any airport .
•CAN NOT carry in any church or other place of worship.
•CAN NOT carry any place prohibited by federal law.
•CAN NOT carry where Private Business displays “NO FIREARMS” signage
•CAN NOT carry in Parades where permits are required.

Enhanced Carry Permit
•CAN NOT carry in courtrooms during a judicial proceeding.
•CAN NOT carry in any police, sheriff or highway patrol station or any detention facility, prison or jail. 
•CAN NOT carry any place prohibited by federal
law.

http://safefireshooting.com/MS_Concealed_Carry.html

Anyone know if our state pro-2A or pro-carry groups are working on similar permits?

If not, we need to get them on this asap! :up:

This would be awesome if we could get the "Enhanced HCP" done here in TN as well! :usa:

• Like 1

We need constitutional carry, if that is not possible, we need to remove the government from 39-17-1359, with the exception of judicial proceedings in a courtroom, and security areas of a jail/prison/detention center where officers are not allowed to routinely carry.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to do away with a couple of other bad laws while we're at it, removing the ability of the Governor to prohibit HCP permit holder (or any citizens) from carry during an 'emergency', and removing the 'anti-military training' law.  I'm guessing those two are new to some people.

Edited by JayC

Unfortunately, those small, progressive steps are why we are where we are today. You can codify anything into the ground and

make the laws so muddy they aren't any better than they were supposed to be. With today's agenda driven media and politicians

who only want to do something to enhance their personal political ambitions, things like this are extremely difficult. Just the

process makes antis out of pros when it comes time to do something about bad laws.

I was watching a show on ROKU, last night about Breed Specific Legislation for dogs. It was completely media driven over years

and liberals in towns, including Nashville passed ordinances banning Pit Bulls. I learned much more than I expected. Ban that

particular dog for no reason than what they look like and what the media tells the politician is the right thing to do. Yeh, the dog

is the problem. Nonsense, but that is how laws come about, a lot of the time. Demonize something to the point of scaring the

Hell out of the public when those dogs are some of the most loving animals on this planet. It all looked and sounded like the

way our gun laws came to fruition. Denver passed an ordinance completely banning Pit Bulls mostly because of one child. In

Cincinnati they passed an ordinance requiring Pit Bull type dogs to be registered, or banned. Can't remember which, but it was

just stupid. How much does that compare to the silliness of some of the gun laws that have done absolutely nothing, except

incriminate otherwise law abiding citizens?

We need to get back to the damned Constitution and stop these liberals from making laws that do absolutely nothing good. I said

"damned Constitution" because it has been damned by liberals who think they know better than you or I how to live our lives.

I learned one thing on that show, last night. If someone from Animal Control came to get my dogs, next, they wouldn't make it

past the door. I love my dogs. They love me. If they ever attacked someone else, it is because of how they were trained. That

would make me the responsible party, not the dog.

I don't necessarily think that we need to support an idea that allows the state to make yet more money off of those of us who wish to carry where we should be able to legally carry, anyhow.  In other words, I don't think we need to have an 'enhanced permit'.  What is the justification for such a permit, anyhow?  Instead, as long as TN continues to have a permit, then all carry permits should be 'enhanced' - especially since obtaining an HCP, at all, requires attending a training course (one major distinction between the basic carry permit and 'enhanced' permit in MS seems to be that the 'enhanced' permit requires attending a training course while the basic one requires no, formal class.)  After all, if I am 'safe' to carry my firearm in Walmart - where a cross section of my fellow citizens go to shop - then why would walking into a public school, a government building or a 'posted' business suddenly turn me into a mass murderer?  It honestly makes no sense, whatsoever.  Either I can be trusted to carry a gun or I cannot - and if I am trusted to carry my firearm around families with children in Walmart or at McDonald's then why would I not be trusted to carry around those same children in a school, around public employees in a government building, inside a 'posted' business or in the parks of one city or another?

Until/unless Constitutional carry becomes the law in this state and as long as a permit is going to be required to carry and as long as background checks, etc. are required those of us who have an HCP should be legal to carry pretty much anywhere.  The permit should also cover tactical batons, etc. as well as knives with blades over four inches and other, similar tools that could otherwise bring about an 'intent to go armed' charge.  If we are going to have to pay for the privilege of exercising a 'right' then we should at least be getting our damned money's worth.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

Unfortunately, those small, progressive steps are why we are where we are today. You can codify anything into the ground and

make the laws so muddy they aren't any better than they were supposed to be. With today's agenda driven media and politicians

who only want to do something to enhance their personal political ambitions, things like this are extremely difficult. Just the

process makes antis out of pros when it comes time to do something about bad laws.

I was watching a show on ROKU, last night about Breed Specific Legislation for dogs. It was completely media driven over years

and liberals in towns, including Nashville passed ordinances banning Pit Bulls. I learned much more than I expected. Ban that

particular dog for no reason than what they look like and what the media tells the politician is the right thing to do. Yeh, the dog

is the problem. Nonsense, but that is how laws come about, a lot of the time. Demonize something to the point of scaring the

Hell out of the public when those dogs are some of the most loving animals on this planet. It all looked and sounded like the

way our gun laws came to fruition. Denver passed an ordinance completely banning Pit Bulls mostly because of one child. In

Cincinnati they passed an ordinance requiring Pit Bull type dogs to be registered, or banned. Can't remember which, but it was

just stupid. How much does that compare to the silliness of some of the gun laws that have done absolutely nothing, except

incriminate otherwise law abiding citizens?

We need to get back to the damned Constitution and stop these liberals from making laws that do absolutely nothing good. I said

"damned Constitution" because it has been damned by liberals who think they know better than you or I how to live our lives.

I learned one thing on that show, last night. If someone from Animal Control came to get my dogs, next, they wouldn't make it

past the door. I love my dogs. They love me. If they ever attacked someone else, it is because of how they were trained. That

would make me the responsible party, not the dog.

<Total hijack> Was the documentary "Beyond the Myth"? I watched it the week before last and I was alternately very sad and very pissed off while watching it.

Yeh, Chuck, I think that's right. My wife was watching it, and I sat down afterwards and started getting sick over it.

That one guy who said he would draw a line about when they came after his dog, I felt exactly like him. It was

pathetic. and the part of it that really got me was very likely most of those people on that show voted those

very politicians in office, in the first place. Maybe they finally realized something after it struck home.

Edited by 6.8 AR
I agree, our current permit should be the "enhanced."

But obviously, they wanted to limit us on carrying. So we need to progressively work toward the goal of being able to carry everywhere one step at a time. Nothing gets done in one whole sweep when you're fighting an opposing team with as many or more folks that oppose your goals.

Who's fighting for Constitutional Carry?

We need constitutional carry, if that is not possible, we need to remove the government from 39-17-1359, with the exception of judicial proceedings in a courtroom, and security areas of a jail/prison/detention center where officers are not allowed to routinely carry.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to do away with a couple of other bad laws while we're at it, removing the ability of the Governor to prohibit HCP permit holder (or any citizens) from carry during an 'emergency', and removing the 'anti-military training' law.  I'm guessing those two are new to some people.

What does 58-2-107 (e) (8) do?

(8) Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, explosives, or combustibles, which terms shall not be construed to include firearms, ammunition, or firearm or ammunition components;

and (m)

(m) During any state of emergency, major disaster or natural disaster, the state, a political subdivision or a public official shall not prohibit nor impose additional restrictions on the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transport, carrying, storage, display or use of firearms and ammunition or firearm and ammunition components.

Edited by Worriedman

What we need is Constitutional carry.

You will not get Constitutional Carry in Tennessee until the current Republican leadership finds somewhere else to be.  The Progressive triad that is Haslam, Harwell and Ramsey deem ANY firearm related issue as bad for the business of garnering large donations from Big Business and the Chamber, (including Farm Bureau and AGC) by doing their will.  It is a power and control thing on their part, the more they can control us, the more they can collect, the more power they can hold.

• Like 4

You will not get Constitutional Carry in Tennessee until the current Republican leadership finds somewhere else to be.  The Progressive triad that is Haslam, Harwell and Ramsey deem ANY firearm related issue as bad for the business of garnering large donations from Big Business and the Chamber, (including Farm Bureau and AGC) by doing their will.  It is a power and control thing on their part, the more they can control us, the more they can collect, the more power they can hold.

What we need is a new legislature.

Aside from the fact that we do need Constitutional Carry, the only thing an "Enhanced Permit" would do for a TN resident is add schools and posted town buildings/parks. A permit holder in TN can carry in a good many more places than a regular permit holder in MS can. The other difference is that the NRA training class is what qualifies one for an Enhanced Permit in MS, since the standard permit doesn't require class/training. Of course, TN already requires training for a regular permit, so what would have to happen to qualify for an "Enhanced" HCP? That being said, the whole Enhanced Permit thing just gets confusing. It would be much better to let a carry permit be a carry permit..to carry everywhere.

Edited by Q-tip

Call me paranoid, but 58-2-107(m) doesn't seem him from using this one:

58-2-107(e)(1):

Suspend any law, order, rule or regulation prescribing the procedures for conduct of state business or the orders or rules or regulations of any state agency, if strict compliance with any such law, order, rule, or regulation would in any way prevent, hinder, or delay necessary action in coping with the emergency;

Hoes does 107(m) stop him from using 107(e)(1) to order TDOS to revoke all permits?  Or to stop approval of new permits, renewals, or even better yet, removing the limitation on police officers to have to return firearms unless a permit holder is arrested... etc...  That doesn't seem to add an additional restriction prohibited in 107(m).

I think 107(m) could be more strongly worded, as to prohibit any modification of rights or privileges currently afforded under state law.

But, my bigger concern is to see that 39-17-314(b) is repealed.  

What does 58-2-107 (e) (8) do?

(8) Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, explosives, or combustibles, which terms shall not be construed to include firearms, ammunition, or firearm or ammunition components;

and (m)

(m) During any state of emergency, major disaster or natural disaster, the state, a political subdivision or a public official shall not prohibit nor impose additional restrictions on the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transport, carrying, storage, display or use of firearms and ammunition or firearm and ammunition components.

Call me paranoid, but 58-2-107(m) doesn't seem him from using this one:

58-2-107(e)(1):

Hoes does 107(m) stop him from using 107(e)(1) to order TDOS to revoke all permits?  Or to stop approval of new permits, renewals, or even better yet, removing the limitation on police officers to have to return firearms unless a permit holder is arrested... etc...  That doesn't seem to add an additional restriction prohibited in 107(m).

I think 107(m) could be more strongly worded, as to prohibit any modification of rights or privileges currently afforded under state law.

But, my bigger concern is to see that 39-17-314( B) is repealed.  

Yeah, I would call you paranoid.  Would that the Right to bear arms was as well codified in the TCA as the restriction on the Governor to mess with legal ownership, use carrying or display of a firearm re an "emergency".  Seems pretty dang solid to me.