shipping

GuitaRx

I hear you on that second part!! I know they say they try to be fair with shipping, etc, but I just don't know. My last order would have easily fit in the small flat rate USPS box for $5.80, yet I paid over $12 in shipping.

All of my OpticsPlanet orders have shipped free, and the prices were WAAAYY lower, too! Many times in the last few months I have had an online cart with 4-5 items at Midway, gone to checkout, got frustrated with shipping costs which ended up killing the deal, then simply opened another browser window and found the items for less elsewhere without crazy shipping fees.
  • Like 1

My Midway orders come through like lightning. Every time they estimate 4 days for delivery and every time they're there in 2-3.

OP, do you live in a more rural area? That can add some time depending on who carries the package.

No, I live near the airport in Nashville.

They started using the UPS surepost crap. UPS ground is two day shipping.

Yeah, UPS ("mail innovations")  and FedEx ("smartpost") services that use USPS for final delivery generally add 2-4 days to the whole shebang. Advantages: cheaper, don't have to be home to get it most of the time, etc. Disadvantage: slow

Hell, even DHL has somehow gotten involved again with US domestic shipments using USPS as final leg, have gotten two of them through eBay in the last month or two.

- OS

I have had the same issues with Midway. ..order on a Monday, ships and dont receive for 4-5 days...I live in Memphis and this stuff is shipping from the I-55 corridor and being routed to Nashville and then back to Memphis....doesnt make much sense to me...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Things have really shifted. Used to be, Fedex was the best for most stuff. Right now, Priority mail is best overall. UPS ground is as good as long as you're in the 2 day zone. UPS will deliver early, and will even deliver the Mail Innovations stuff when they can. I have a Midway package showing up today that was supposed to go to the post office, but wound up on the UPS truck for delivery. I'm also signed up for UPS Mychoice. Every time one of those Surecrap shipments comes my way, I get an email with an option to ugrade it to a real UPS shipment for $3.50.

And then there's Fedex. Those assholes will leave your package sitting there until it's scheduled. I avoid them.

I have had the same issues with Midway. ..order on a Monday, ships and dont receive for 4-5 days...I live in Memphis and this stuff is shipping from the I-55 corridor and being routed to Nashville and then back to Memphis....doesnt make much sense to me...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Specify UPS ground and it's back to normal, as long as they're just not too busy to get it out the door.

Edited by mikegideon

still doesn't explain how something can get here sooner from CHINA? that's ridiculous.. 

That new China Post thing they started about 1.5 years ago is pretty good. I've gotten stuff as short as 5 business days, seldom more than 8, assuming the vendor gets it to their postal facility promptly. It usually takes more than half the total time within the US once it hits here.

- OS

UPS doesn't move on the weekends.

Mike, not that simple: USPS,  UPS and FedEx Ground all move on Saturday for sure.  All three even offer special Saturday delivery. They don't pick up locally on Sat, though, except for Express,  so if it ain't got by Fri, it sits at vendor till Monday.

Matter of fact, Saturday is normal delivery day for FedEx Home Delivery, off on Sunday/Monday. Though terminal operations stop on Sat  night for UPS and FedEx, you'll see FedEx Ground tractors on Sundays too, as it is handled by contractors and not company drivers. Anyway they make their deadlines is fine. Not sure if I've ever noticed a UPS rig on Sunday or not.

Last three weeks before Christmas, I delivered 6 days a week for FedEx Ground all three years I was there and a couple of weeks did all seven days. Had to, with the volume we got.

Pretty sure some of both UPS and FedEx planes fly on both Sat and Sun too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Mike, not that simple: USPS,  UPS and FedEx Ground all move on Saturday for sure.  All three even offer special Saturday delivery. They don't pick up locally on Sat, though, except for Express,  so if it ain't got by Fri, it sits at vendor till Monday.

Matter of fact, Saturday is normal delivery day for FedEx Home Delivery, off on Sunday/Monday. Though terminal operations stop on Sat  night for UPS and FedEx, you'll see FedEx Ground tractors on Sundays too, as it is handled by contractors and not company drivers. Anyway they make their deadlines is fine. Not sure if I've ever noticed a UPS rig on Sunday or not.

Last three weeks before Christmas, I delivered 6 days a week for FedEx Ground all three years I was there and a couple of weeks did all seven days. Had to, with the volume we got.

Pretty sure some of both UPS and FedEx planes fly on both Sat and Sun too.

- OS

Yeah, I've seen my UPS stuff move on Saturday. You're right. 

I've ordered quite a bit from Midway, I like the selection and prices. But I have had bad experiences with their shipping. I think once I got a shipment in 3 days.. and usually anywhere else I order from is two to three days usually, except Midway. And this China order really blew my mind... two working days... exceptional.. and it was very well packed also.. I was impressed. (And no, I'm not a big fan of China by any means.. I just saw an incredible deal and said "why not")

Edited by GuitaRx

I've ordered quite a bit from Midway, I like the selection and prices. But I have had bad experiences with their shipping. I think once I got a shipment in 3 days.. and usually anywhere else I order from is two to three days usually, except Midway. And this China order really blew my mind... two working days... exceptional.. and it was very well packed also.. I was impressed. (And no, I'm not a big fan of China by any means.. I just saw an incredible deal and said "why not")

You sure that wasn't from US warehouse used by whatever Chinese company?

I'm not sure anything short of FedEx's most expensive international options can possibly get you something from China in two working days, even given that it may have been moving on Sat/Sun?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You sure that wasn't from US warehouse used by whatever Chinese company?

I'm not sure anything short of FedEx's most expensive international options can possibly get you something from China in two working days, even given that it may have been moving on Sat/Sun?

- OS

well, the shipping site showed a China origin, and the packaging is from China Post.. from Shenzhen Guangdong China.. (Airmail Postage Paid China Post)

Edited by GuitaRx

well, the shipping site showed a China origin, and the packaging is from China Post.. from Shenzhen Guangdong China.. (Airmail Postage Paid China Post)

Yeah I've gotten knives and gun doodads and whatnot exactly the same way. Not contesting your facts, really, I just find that frigging amazing!

Mine have always spent more than 2 working days just from whatever city in US they enter through, Chicago, NYC, etc.

- OS

Yeah I've gotten knives and gun doodads and whatnot exactly the same way. Not contesting your facts, really, I just find that frigging amazing!

Mine have always spent more than 2 working days just from whatever city in US they enter through, Chicago, NYC, etc.

- OS

actually, if you count today it was three days not counting sat and sun... but still freaking amazing to me.. it went from China to Chicago, then to Nashville...