Paul Dennis Reid dead....

K191145

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

I always thought "screw" was a derogatory term for y'all.

My stepdad retired after 34 years with TDOC. If you asked him what he did, he'd tell you that he was a prison guard at Fort Pillow. That's what they were called back when he started. His coworkers and his "boys" (the prisoners) all respected him for the way he treated all with respect and kindness. I think the term "Correctional Officer" was invented by some insecure jackass with a misplaced case of badge envy. Next time you get your PC panties in a bunch when someone calls you a prison guard, remember they are calling you that because that's what you do. You guard society from the inmates at the prison. We appreciate the job you do. It is different than that of a cop. Not easier, not less nor more valuable, so you don't have to try and compare yourself to one. It may not be the same job but it is appreciated just as much.

Maybe so but we associate it with bad things. The media seems to try and use it as derogatory in nature. Really we don't guard anything. We are mostly adult babysitters as prison is just a, place for immature adults who have the minds of preschoolers. Its basically like dealing with whiney ass pre schoolers all day. They whine bitch and cry about everything. I rarely have problems with one. I guess I have their respect. It seems the officers that have the most trouble out of inmates are the ones that are disrespectful to them.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

There is no brushy mountain. It closed about 10 years ago. Its now Morgan County correctional complex. MCCX here we go with the guards word again. So derogatory and offensive. I won't comment on MCCX except to say we run things quiet differently than they do. Basically the commissioner sends people to us to observe how we "run things". Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

My friend Jerry was a guard at what he still called "Brushy Mountain" a few years ago. He still works for the prison there somewhere if he hasn't retired yet. Don't know what you call it today. All I know is that it never will be my mailing address. Last I talked to Jerry he was driving a van taking inmates to court, appointments ect.

DaveS

Edited by DaveS

Me and my fellow officers despise this term and find it extremely disrespectful. We are officers of the law just like any other leo. We may not be post certified yet but I hear tell it's on the way but we still get law enforcement discounts.

No disrespect intended, I didn't know some "corrections officers" didn't like the term. I have heard and used the word "prison guard" for as long as I can remember with no intention of insulting them. It's like if I used the word "cop" instead of police officer I mean no offense.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

No disrespect intended, I didn't know some "corrections officers" didn't like the term. I have heard and used the word "prison guard" for as long as I can remember with no intention of insulting them. It's like if I used the word "cop" instead of police officer I mean no offense.

Right,

Normally I wouldn't have cared but here recently the media has been using prison guard as a derogatory term to imply that we are uneducated dumb hill billy people. Thats why I take offense to it as do some others. Some have 4 yr degrees but they have to start somewhere and its usually c/o.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

My friend Jerry was a guard at what he still called "Brushy Mountain" a few years ago. He still works for the prison there somewhere if he hasn't retired yet. Don't know what you call it today. All I know is that it never will be my mailing address. Last I talked to Jerry he was driving a van taking inmates to court, appointments ect.

DaveS

That would make him a transportation officer.