Skinning a Deer in Under Two Minutes

I know. i was being sure i made a point that if my method is done in the field make sure ya done logged em in. If not leave somethin'

Have you used that new check in system yet? If so, how does it work? I guess I'm going to have to put that app on my phone.

DaveS

Yeah I've used it twice. It works well and is very simple. Cool thing is it keeps a log. mine goes back to turkey season 2012. So you can remember what you've killed and the date easy plus you can add comments too. I like it.

Yeah I've used it twice. It works well and is very simple. Cool thing is it keeps a log. mine goes back to turkey season 2012. So you can remember what you've killed and the date easy plus you can add comments too. I like it.

I have it on my phone now. Thanks a bunch!

DaveS

I didn't ask that very well dooh, were do you take your meat for processing or so you do it yourself? 

Thanks

I do it myself. I make all my cuts and I have a commercial grinder that I make my burger and sausage with. I actually enjoy cutting up deer and pigs. And of course my friends like me doing it too! lol

DaveS

Edited by DaveS

I have an old friend in Florida that lives way out and pretty much survives off wild pigs. I have seen him skin and quarter a big hog in about 10 minutes. The best I have ever done, on a small hog, was about 30 minutes. Those hogs have double stitched skin, there ain't no "grab and pull" on them usually. He says the trick is long cuts when skinning, no dabbing at it. Move the blade 1 to 2 feet instead of 1 to 2 inches. 

I stopped field dressing years ago. I only do it if I am going to have to drag a deer. Otherwise, I do it similar to the guy in the video, just a hell of a lot slower. :)

I do it myself. I make all my cuts and I have a commercial grinder that I make my burger and sausage with. I actually enjoy cutting up deer and pigs. And of course my friends do too! lol

DaveS

When you get the right equipment and have the space doing them yourself is no big deal. It used to be kinda a pain for me cause I just didn't have a good place to do it. Now I have a good garage and an extra garage fridge. I acquired a 10' plastic top folding table. A good grinder and I bag it all with a Foodsaver vacuum sealer. Biggest thing was the grinder. I could've bought one years with what I spent on processing.

I sure wish I could come by a hog or two a year. They're around my wife's grandparents place down in FL but every time we go I just don't see much sign and I never have the time and Grandpa just can't physically put out bait in advance of us coming. My wife's cousin has put up some auto feeders in the past but the damn bears tear em down and screw em all up. Not to mention Grandpa really can't fill them. He has killed 2 or 3 good sized (hogs) though.

When you get the right equipment and have the space doing them yourself is no big deal. It used to be kinda a pain for me cause I just didn't have a good place to do it. Now I have a good garage and an extra garage fridge. I acquired a 10' plastic top folding table. A good grinder and I bag it all with a Foodsaver vacuum sealer. Biggest thing was the grinder. I could've bought one years with what I spent on processing.

I sure wish I could come by a hog or two a year. They're around my wife's grandparents place down in FL but every time we go I just don't see much sign and I never have the time and Grandpa just can't physically put out bait in advance of us coming. My wife's cousin has put up some auto feeders in the past but the damn bears tear em down and screw em all up. Not to mention Grandpa really can't fill them. He has killed 2 or 3 good sized (hogs) though.

A couple good hogs a year is about all a man needs. I fell in love with hog hunting in florida and it's one of the reasons I'm moving in the spring. It's our dream to live out our senior years in Florida and the pig hunting and shark fishing is just icing on the cake!

I was using vacuum bags for a while, but my friends and neighbors started wanting me to do their deer and I find it just as quick to use freezer bags and freezer paper. Plus it's a little cheaper. I bought me a real good commercial grinder but my sweetest piece of equipment is my sausage stuffer. Makes easy work of putting ground meat in a bag or casings.

DaveS

My wife gets some off brand vac bags somewhere online that significantly cheaper. A sausage stuffer is the next thing I'm gonna get. I might go to regular old game bags then.
We knock out about 4 deer a year, I figure 2 hogs would be about right. I need some wild chickens like Key West then we wouldn't buy chicken either. Ya just can't kill enough turkeys.
We'll may end up in FL eventually too. Their place is a ways out, a couple hundred acres, and surrounded by Natl Forest. If I was to live there, where I could see to them, I'd probably set up hog traps. The thing I don't particularly enjoy is it's full of big fat eastern diamondbacks.
North of Sopchoppy in Wakulla County. Apalachicola NF. Their prop line to the west is the Ochlocknee River.

It's a great place and covered with deer and turkeys. But I have a hard time hunting there. It drives me crazy that it's so damn thick, it don't have hardly any land features compared to my TN hills n hollers, the deer seemingly rut whenever they feel like it (no matter the month, everytime I've been down I have seen very small fawns) and did I mention it's so damn thick. Coolest thing is they have a muzzleloader hunt on up in Feb and that's fun. Edited by JWC
  • Like 1

Wakulla County (Crawfordville) is where me and my teen Daughter got our Pigs back in June. We fished St. Marks and Alligator Harbor a lot. A good friend of mine and TGO member "Whiskey", is a Federal Game Warden in that part of the state, so we had a good hunting guide! I couldn't get over all the palms in the woods! Craziest thing I've ever seen. Apalachicola is an awesome little town too! My plan when I get to Florida is to have a guest room, so I can offer my TGO friends a place to stay for some hunting and fishing for those who couldn't otherwise do so.

DaveS

Edited by DaveS
The Grandparents work in Crawfordville. If you hit forest rd 13 out of Crawfordville and drive about 20 mi on the dirt road you get to Smith Creek Rd and they just live a couple miles N on it.

My wife and I like Apalachicola too. Did you go to the air conditioner museum, lol? We also like Port St. Joe.

We like Port St. Joe also. We have property on St. George. The house was destroyed by Ivan and we never rebuilt. We were there in June for the first time since Ivan came through. It broke our hearts. I love that part of Florida. If I thought I could find a little part job there, I'd be in Crawfordville or Panacea in a heartbeat!

DaveS