Skinning a Deer in Under Two Minutes

The guy is fast but I think they are using compressed air to separate the skin from tissue first. It makes skinning much easier.

They very well may have.  The skin comes off very easily.  They also made some cuts up around the legs before they started.

Not for me.....been too accident prone here lately. lol  I'll do the "s-l-o-w-l-y" method.

If they sold the hides (apparently they don't) his technique would be a no-go. But he's fun to watch just the same!

DaveS

• Like 2

Not for me.....been too accident prone here lately. lol I'll do the "s-l-o-w-l-y" method.
If they sold the hides (apparently they don't) his technique would be a no-go. But he's fun to watch just the same!

DaveS

yea I thought the same thing. The hide is probably crap now.

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I watched that whole video thinking, "this seems like a great way for a non-pro to really cut themselves."

I'm impressed, though.

That's what I was thinking.  I was telling myself I should go faster and try it - then common sense kicks in and tell myself "probably lose a finger then I would never hear the end of it from the wife" nah I have no need go that fast.

• Like 1

It takes me about 2 minutes but I cheat.  I have what I call my skinning cable.  It's a 10 foot long cable with a loop in each end.  I hang the deer from its neck, then I make all the cuts you would normally make to skin a deer.  I then peel back a little bit of skin fom the back of the neck and wrap up a fist sized rock in the hide.  I then loop one end of the cable around the outside of the hide with the rock on the inside.  I loop the other end of the cable over the ball hitch on my truck and slowly drive forward, the skin will peel right off.  Saves a bunch of time.

It takes me about 2 minutes but I cheat.  I have what I call my skinning cable.  It's a 10 foot long cable with a loop in each end.  I hang the deer from its neck, then I make all the cuts you would normally make to skin a deer.  I then peel back a little bit of skin fom the back of the neck and wrap up a fist sized rock in the hide.  I then loop one end of the cable around the outside of the hide with the rock on the inside.  I loop the other end of the cable over the ball hitch on my truck and slowly drive forward, the skin will peel right off.  Saves a bunch of time.

I use the same method, only with the winch cable on my ATV.

My uncle told me about doing something like that, once, except he said that he uses a rope (instead of a cable) and a tennis ball (instead of a rock.)  He said that the skin would just come right off.

Honestly, I have not skinned and processed enough to be fast at it.  I can do it but it would take me probably half an hour or so to do what that guy did in two minutes.  For me, though, gutting without piercing or busting anything I don't want pierced or busted (bladder, etc.) is a big part of what slows me down.  That and I have decided that I like eating the heart so I don't want to just dump everything out onto the ground before I cut the heart out.

Edited by JAB

My uncle told me about doing something like that, once, except he said that he uses a rope (instead of a cable) and a tennis ball (instead of a rock.)  He said that the skin would just come right off.

Honestly, I have not skinned and processed enough to be fast at it.  I can do it but it would take me probably half an hour or so to do what that guy did in two minutes.  For me, though, gutting without piercing or busting anything I don't want pierced or busted (bladder, etc.) is a big part of what slows me down.  That and I have decided that I like eating the heart so I don't want to just dump everything out onto the ground before I cut the heart out.

I don't try to be fast at skinning them as I tan and sell the buckskin or fur and don't need to tear or cut the hide. Now deer hides I don't plan on using...that's a different story!

DaveS

how much will a deer hide bring?

A green "un-cut" hide goes for about 5 - 6 dollars from most processors. An "un-cut" hide is one that was "peeled" from the animal. A hide removed by knife is "cut" whether you see it or not. Only worth about two dollars. I love it when processors tell me "oh that hide ain't cut", and I ask "did you use a knife"..."yes"...then it's cut and I won't give you 2 cents for it! But in general, about 4 bucks! If you take your hide to a processor and you don't get it back, he will sell it. Get it back and use it. I had a processor here in Clarksville a few years ago refuse to give my hide back. He said he keeps them and sells them. One lawyer, one lawsuit (just to prove a point)and $1,200.00 (his cost to defend and my payment for the hide) dollars later I was happy. The judge said I was entitled to my hide back, hooves, legs, eyeballs and anything else I wanted back because it was all technically my property. I'm kinda glad he closed up!

DaveS

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1
I don't gut em or bring em home anymore. Check it in on my phone*important with this method or you have to keep proof of sex hanging on a quarter*
Lay it on the ground, skin up the back and down the sides. Cut out back strip, remove ham at joints, remove shoulder, cut out neck meat and any any other pieces you can, flip over, repeat. Toss in a cooler as you go. Imo it only takes a few minutes longer than field dressing and you ain't gotta jack with em at the house. Downside you don't get tenderloin.
  • Like 1

Not for me.....been too accident prone here lately. lol  I'll do the "s-l-o-w-l-y" method.

DaveS

Blown up, attacked by hornets, and lopped my thumb off speed skinning a deer. I give up  :rofl:

• Like 1

I don't gut em or bring em home anymore. Check it in on my phone*important with this method or you have to keep proof of sex hanging on a quarter*
Lay it on the ground, skin up the back and down the sides. Cut out back strip, remove ham at joints, remove shoulder, cut out neck meat and any any other pieces you can, flip over, repeat. Toss in a cooler as you go. Imo it only takes a few minutes longer than field dressing and you ain't gotta jack with em at the house. Downside you don't get tenderloin.

Once a deer is legally checked in, you no longer have to keep proof of sex hanging on the quarter. 

DaveS