Id this snake please

Dane

Guest Bassman17SC

Concur that it is NOT a copperhead and most likely a corn snake.  The colorations seems rather drab for one, though.  Maybe fixin' to shed?

Kill it with fire!!

Negative.  Here's why...

Yep, corn snake. We use to have them on our farm all the time and never killed them because they kill rodents like mice and rats. totally harmless except if your scared of snakes they might make you hurt yourself.............. :rock:

• Like 1

Yep, that be a corn snake IMO.

The only two snakes native to NW Tennessee I have not seen on my property are the corn snake and timber rattler, and maybe a few species of water snakes.

Speaking of snakes and situational awareness... Busy doing outside chores yesterday with my brain one step ahead of me, took my first step off the back porch onto the sidewalk and just inches off my left foot was a 3-1/2 foot Rat Snake just sitting motionless on a brick walkway adjacent to the sidewalk. Being cool out I suspect it was soaking up some heat. Stood where I stopped for a few minutes watching and admiring it and it finally slithered into the shrubbery next to my house.

Since moving to the country, the wife has finally got use to and accepted the fact I won't kill any snakes and I explained why. The only exception being maybe a Cotton Mouth at my house, but they pretty much stay down close to my pond. Even the Copper Heads around here are not aggressive and do everything they can to get away from you.

Edited by Dennis1209

Dennis, you are a better man than me. If they give me a snake free zone around the house, I'll let them be. But this year have had several want to take up residence on the steps at my back door.

A couple of them didn't want to move...so I moved them a little forcibly.

Most venomous snakes will for the most part try to distance themselves from humans around here. That is except for Cotton Mouths and they will be aggressive and very territorial. Copper heads for the most part are only aggressive if cornered but will try to move away if possible escape route is possible. Rattle snakes of course will try and warn you of their presence and if you give them the opportunity they will also move away in escape route. We had a 1000 acre farm I grew up on and had a river running through middle of it and over the years I guess I encountered about every species of snake there is in middle Tennessee. The snake I appreciated the most on the farm was the Black and Blue racers. Some would actually tolerate playing a game with you for a few minutes. You move towards them and they would move away and when you began to back up they would turn and follow you. They are also an enemy of venomous snakes and they will kill and eat them along with rodents. I saw one kill a copperhead and then eat it. Corn snakes can grown to 7-8 feet depending on their food supply and we had corn bins with mice in them and the Corn snakes fed well around them...........jmho  

Concur that it is NOT a copperhead and most likely a corn snake.  The colorations seems rather drab for one, though.  Maybe fixin' to shed?

Most snake breeds can vary quite a lot in hue/intensity of markings, by age, sex,  time of year, habitat, latitude, all kinds of variables.

Corn snake (also known widely as red rat snake, as it is indeed a rat snake by more precise classification, short of the Latin), has color (and pattern) morphs in extreme of many others. Here is a list of 375 of them!

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_snake#Variations

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot