Daughters first deer!

My 9 year old daughter shot her first deer yesterday evening. There wasn't much blood and after looking for about 15 minutes I decided to back out and look first thing this morning. After searching for over an hour I finally found the deer. I bet I walked by it a million times lol. It only ran 50 or 60 yards. The buck she killed we named him funky head and I have several trailcam pics of him. He has 6 or 7 points that would score and a few that might be close. Overall we are calling him a 10 pointer (by redneck standards anyway lol). I am very proud of my daughter. The points don't matter to me I just thank God I have an awesome memory with her. I tricked her when I came home. I told her I couldn't find it but I shot a coyote. The smile on her face when I dropped the tail gate was awesome. She was a little bummed out that we had to leave and come back but I explained why and she understood. I'm still smiling from ear to ear. I'M ONE HAPPY DADDY!!!!

20131026_162133_zpsa74cd175.jpg

20131027_093929_zps99cfdfb1.jpg

20131027_083549_zps4a058e0f.jpg

20131027_084128_zpsf84d6786.jpg

20131027_094011_zpsc6f43234.jpg

WGI_0309_zps59284130.jpg

• Like 5

Awesome! Congrats to you both! :up:

I remember passing by that Toyota many times seeing the results of some of your hunts in the back. That and the turkey beards. Coolest neighbors ever! :lol:

Bet you never thought you lived next to a gun nut, especially one with a 50 BMG and all. We still need to meet up one day so you and your friend can shoot the 50. :cheers:

• Like 1

Awesome! Congrats to you both! :up:
I remember passing by that Toyota many times seeing the results of some of your hunts in the back. That and the turkey beards. Coolest neighbors ever! :lol:

Bet you never thought you lived next to a gun nut, especially one with a 50 BMG and all. We still need to meet up one day so you and your friend can shoot the 50. :cheers:

Yeah that truck has had its share of bodies in it lol. Definitely need to go shooting.

Awesome!!! Happy for both of y'all! How long did it take you to find it this morning?

I searched for well over an hour. I actually walked to far in so I decided to check the last place we seen it running and where I thought I heard it crash. Found it in like 15 minutes lol. You could only see it from one side of the trail. I was walking back through the woods facing the trail. It had run under a fallen cedar tree and behind a big rock. I was so relieved to find it.
  • Like 1

I searched for well over an hour. I actually walked to far in so I decided to check the last place we seen it running and where I thought I heard it crash. Found it in like 15 minutes lol. You could only see it from one side of the trail. I was walking back through the woods facing the trail. It had run under a fallen cedar tree and behind a big rock. I was so relieved to find it.

Good deal! They are easy to miss, that's what I was afraid I was doing on that buck I shot opening day. That's why I just kept doing it overe and over. Glad you found that one, as stated above, you both will have that memory forever! I bet she was excited this morning huh?

Good deal! They are easy to miss, that's what I was afraid I was doing on that buck I shot opening day. That's why I just kept doing it overe and over. Glad you found that one, as stated above, you both will have that memory forever! I bet she was excited this morning huh?

She was excited. Like I said I tricked her and told her I couldn't find it and I shot a coyote. I video taped her reaction when I put the tail gate down lol.

• Like 1

Congrats to the young hunter on bagging her first deer. Also congrats Dad on giving her an education of a lifetime. You're a happy Dad, and you should be!

DaveS

This trumps anything I've ever killed. I'm not embarrassed to say this but I did shed a tear when I found the deer. Truly a lifetime memory. Edited by ShaunM
  • Like 2

Awesome! Congrats to your daughter... and dad. 

Soak it up brother, it won't last forever and it will be gone before you know it. My daughter was the same age when she got her first. She's 15 now and we didn't hunt this weekend. We sorta half planned to hit one afternoon, but didn't make it out. I miss those days of her sitting with me in the blind, on my lap, me shaking worse than her. I am looking forward to the next level of memory making times now. Like teaching her to change a flat tire... :)

• Like 3

That is just GREAT for her. She looks very pleased, in the second picture. How bout some details, example; type of gun, in tree stand, on ground, etc.

My little girl who is now 36 got her first deer when she was 14. I can still see the look on her face, her hands shaking and all the jokes about I was 14 when I got my first deer, how old were you when you got your's (35 yrs old from the city). I still here it today when it is deer season (I get he phone call) :(   

That is just GREAT for her. She looks very pleased, in the second picture. How bout some details, example; type of gun, in tree stand, on ground, etc.

My little girl who is now 36 got her first deer when she was 14. I can still see the look on her face, her hands shaking and all the jokes about I was 14 when I got my first deer, how old were you when you got your's (35 yrs old from the city). I still here it today when it is deer season (I get he phone call)  :(   

We where hunting out of a ground blind. She was shooting a Rossi single shot 223 loaded with Hornady 75 grain BTHP. I was around her age when I shot my first deer. She asked if her deer was bigger than my first deer. I told her yes as mine was a button buck.

• Like 2